Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Copper/Lead iodide + HAc = I2?
Antiswat
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 7-3-2019 at 06:53
Copper/Lead iodide + HAc = I2?

so ive been trying to make some copper iodide and today ended up turning it into lead iodide to seperate it out properly and efficiently
however the lead iodide was contaminated with some hydroxides/carbonates, so i added some 30% HAc and warmed it for a while
now the lead iodide seems to dissolve, giving me once again the dreaded golden solution of elemental iodine, how is this happening?
initially i wanted to make tin iodide due to its nice colour, but as i mixed up SnCl2 and NaI solutions it turned all of the NaI into I2, i thought tin was supposed to be reducing even? how does i go about magically oxidizing ionic iodine into elemental iodine, of what i remember you need an oxidizing agent such as chlorine to produce elemental iodine from iodide, but it surely is iodine. covering a beaker up for a while with aluminium foil will turn the foil into aluminium iodide - evidently by heating it, vapors of iodine will be formed

as a bonus, when i was letting the lead iodide sit for a while copper started coming out of the solution discolourizing the once bright yellow powder, thus why i added HAc.

i have even managed to turn the iodide solution into elemental iodine while just evaporating off the water - with excess NaOH.

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
vmelkon
International Hazard

Mood: autoerotic asphyxiation

[*] posted on 29-3-2019 at 17:45

Is SnCl2 soluble in water? It sounds like it is not since tin is similar to lead or it is only slightly soluble.
One possible reaction is that if you have a solution of iodide (It could be NaI, KI, SnI2), it reacts with CO2 and O2 from the air.

4 KI + 2 CO2 + O2 → 2 K2CO3 + 2 I2
4 NaI + 2 CO2 + O2 → 2 Na2CO3 + 2 I2
2 SnI2 + 2 CO2 + O2 → 2 SnCO3 + 2 I2

Signature ==== Is this my youtube page? https://plus.google.com/u/0/102731756100318541546/videos?tab...
We must attach the electrodes of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance and give a few good jolts.
Yes my evolutionary friends. We are all homos here.

Go To Top