Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  8    10    12  ..  40
Author: Subject: Pretty Pictures (1)
theflickkk
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-11-2011 at 06:42

Hmm Nick F, you could try changing the ISO to a higher value (may result in noise though)
Alternatively, the shutter speed can be changed by varying f-stop.
A slower shutter speed would allow more light to enter, making the picture brighter.

The sample you've got there looks really nice! Is the glow really so bright or is it just the camera o:
UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 29-11-2011 at 08:15

A layer of 6-methylquinoline under water resulting from steam distillation.

Department of Redundancy Department - Now with paperwork!

'In organic synthesis, we call decomposition products "crap", however this is not a IUPAC approved nomenclature.' -Nicodem
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 29-11-2011 at 09:49

Nice piece of art, UC.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
mr.crow
National Hazard

Mood: 0xFF

[*] posted on 29-11-2011 at 09:59

Nice! I also love your new videos, UC

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble
turd
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-11-2011 at 15:04

Small crystals of rac. N,alpha-dimethyl-beta-phenethylammonium chloride.
(Ok, this should go to the ugly pictures thread, but there is none. :P)

x1.png - 790kB x2.png - 817kB
Bezaleel
Hazard to Others

Mood: transitional

[*] posted on 13-12-2011 at 19:51

Thanks to Nick F for the suggested type of UV lamp (found one for under $5 on e-bay). Comparison of uranyl nitrate, erbium acetate, and neodymium carbonate under tungsten incandescent light and UV light.

Images of lead iodide. I dissolved 0.35 grams in 100ml of water, and boiled for about 10 minutes. The substance dissolved slowly, the solution gradually becoming clear.
Cooling down, thin colourless platelets immediately formed on the liquid surface. After cooling down to RT, very many sparkling and deeply yellow platelets had formed.
Adas
National Hazard

Mood: Sensitive to shock and friction

[*] posted on 14-12-2011 at 10:02

I enjoy the PbI2 golden rain, good job :D
UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-12-2011 at 00:05

Shattered glassy mass of 5-carboxypentyltriphenylphosphonium bromide (I think I named that correctly...) prepared from 6-bromohexanoic acid and triphenylphosphine

The molten material is viscous and can be drawn into threads and so forth, like a proper silica glass, but at a vastly lower temperature.

The crystalline salt was prepared by precipitating the product from chloroform with ethyl acetate.

'In organic synthesis, we call decomposition products "crap", however this is not a IUPAC approved nomenclature.' -Nicodem
plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 24-12-2011 at 10:30

Wow! This is a realy nice picture! Are you doing a video to show the synthesis on Youtube?

[Edited on 24-12-2011 by plante1999]

I never asked for this.
UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-12-2011 at 14:03

Quote: Originally posted by plante1999  
Wow! This is a realy nice picture! Are you doing a video to show the synthesis on Youtube?

[Edited on 24-12-2011 by plante1999]

No.

1) It's very simple to prepare and can be summarized in the video where I use it for a wittig.
2) I was filming anyway, but I ran into a few snags along the way. And that makes for poor video.

mr.crow
National Hazard

Mood: 0xFF

[*] posted on 24-12-2011 at 15:47

Wow!!!

At least you can use some of the footage for the next video as a summary. looking forward to it

Synthetic capsaicin, sounds spicy

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble
White Yeti
National Hazard

Mood: delocalized

[*] posted on 24-12-2011 at 19:22

I was attempting to "blue" some steel over the flame of my modified alcohol burner. I met limited success, as small areas of the piece of metal in question turned to a corrosion resistant iridescent blue. My camera does not pick up the vivid colours of the blued metal, so I have no pictures to display. But as I was washing the piece of metal clean, I found that the soot deposited on the piece of metal made the steel hydrophobic. It's nothing special at all, as the layer of soot wears off very rapidly and does not stand up against abrasion even of the gentlest kind. But it sure does make a nice picture I thought I might share with the community. Without further ado, here is my failure/success, several drops of water on the soot covered bottom of a tin can, the cheapest way you can demonstrate the phenomenon of hydrophobicity.

IMG_0294.jpg - 101kB

"Ja, Kalzium, das ist alles!" -Otto Loewi
UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-12-2011 at 19:26

Quote: Originally posted by mr.crow  
Wow!!!

At least you can use some of the footage for the next video as a summary. looking forward to it

Synthetic capsaicin, sounds spicy

I don't have enough footage to make it worthwhile, except maybe some shots of the same stuff I posted above. Synthesis pretty much consists of "dump two reactants in flask, heat for 4 hours at 145C, dissolve in CHCl3, add ethyl acetate to precipitate, filter, wash, dry." It doesn't even have cool apparatus.

Synthetic capsaicin is indeed my goal....I'll be running with dimsyl sodium in DMSO (heat sodium amide and dry DMSO together...I don't have any NaH, but I can make NH3(l) and I have sodium on the way.)

Bezaleel
Hazard to Others

Mood: transitional

[*] posted on 25-12-2011 at 16:36

Your picture looks like a queer kind of sheet metal in a flask. Cool.
turd
National Hazard

[*] posted on 28-12-2011 at 11:48

A 7 mm crystal of p-dimethoxybenzene à la PainKilla that grew directly out of the reaction mixture. :o

dmb.jpg - 297kB
UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-12-2011 at 16:40

Drops of aniline condensing on the upper wall of an RBF while vacuum-distilling aniline. The attachment aniline.background needs to be renamed to a .jpg and is a 1920x1200 image if you'd like to use it as a background. (This gets around the forum's size limits for pictures)

[Edited on 1-1-12 by UnintentionalChaos]

Attachment: aniline.background (730kB)
This file has been downloaded 1047 times

aniline_resize.jpg - 201kB

benzylchloride1
Hazard to Others

Mood: Pushing the envelope of synthetic chemistry in one's basement

[*] posted on 1-1-2012 at 18:59

Here is some pictures of a nickelocene, bis(cyclopentadienyl)nickel(II) synthesis I conducted at my home lab over Christmas break.

Nickelocene1.jpg - 156kB

[Edited on 2-1-2012 by benzylchloride1]

THF still.jpg - 130kB Schlenk Line.jpg - 130kB Schlenk Filter.jpg - 131kB

Nickelocene forming.jpg - 293kB Schlenk Filtration.jpg - 168kB

Nickelocene Crystals.jpg - 225kB Nickelocene Crystals 8.5 grams.jpg - 124kB Finished Product.jpg - 138kB

Amateur NMR spectroscopist
Lambda-Eyde
National Hazard

Mood: Cleaved

[*] posted on 1-1-2012 at 19:15

Your selection of glass, chemicals and analytical equipment is unparallelled among amateurs, benzylchloride1. May I ask how you obtain your chemicals? Seeing as you live in the US, most people run into a few problems on that front.

How did you synthesize the nickelocene? I have considered buying some dicyclopentadiene to prepare metallocenes myself. I'm guessing it's the dicyclopentadiene you have in that solvent still?

Btw - I and many others would love if you'd write down something for the prepublication section. You obviously have many interesting, challenging, novel (and legitimate) projects. I for one would love a topic summarizing your carpanone synthesis, as I find total synthesis to be probably the most interesting subject in all of chemistry.

Edit: Oh, and those ampoules are simply lovely :D

[Edited on 2-1-2012 by Lambda-Eyde]

This just in: 95,5 % of the world population lives outside the USA
You should really listen to ABBA
Please drop by our IRC channel: #sciencemadness @ irc.efnet.org
benzylchloride1
Hazard to Others

Mood: Pushing the envelope of synthetic chemistry in one's basement

[*] posted on 1-1-2012 at 20:18

I obtain many chemicals off of Ebay, and I also know someone that I can buy chemicals through. I am thinking about putting a article together for the prepublication section on the nickelocene synthesis since I really enjoy this prep. I used balloon grade helium as the inert gas in this synthesis. The single piece solvent still was used to distill my THF from sodium benzophenone ketyl prior to use, The pictures do not do justice to the color of the THF still pot. In this post there is a picture of the still that I used for cracking the dicyclopentadiene. I would recommend buying some dicyclopentadiene since it is usually dirt cheap if you have a source for it and it is useful for so many things. I prepared nickel (II) chloride from nickel (II) carbonate purchased on Ebay. From the nickel (II) chloride, I prepared hexaamine nickel(II) chloride using 30% aqueous ammonia, I bought this from High Valley Chemical. The 10% stuff from Ace Hardware can be used, but it requires more acetone for crashing the product out. I would recommend making this coordination complex to anyone interested in amateur chemistry. I produced a solution of sodium cyclopentadienide in THF by adding cyclopentadiene to a stirred suspension of powdered sodium in THF. After the formation of the sodium cyclopentadienide, which is light purplish pink in color, the hexaaminenickel(II) chloride is added and the mixture is slowly heated to reflux, resulting in the generation of a large amount of ammonia gas and a gradual color change to the characteristic bright green color of nickelocene. The mixture was then filtered through pool filter aid under helium, and the solvent removed under vacuum, leaving the crude product, which was then sublimed under dynamic high vacuum from a 80 C oil bath. I would recommend perusing surplus stores of major universities on a regular basis, this seems to be the best way to build a lab very quickly. Interesting that you brought up the carpanone synthesis since I have been working on this lately, I am very close to finishing it, I had to rethink how to synthesize the sesamol. Take a look at the carpanone thread for an update. I am also thinking about writing an article on the preparation of bis(1,2-diphenylphosphino)ethane and other chelating phosphines. I have been interested in these phosphines for making organometallics and coordination complexes. There seems to be no report in the literature for preparing these compounds in solvents other then liquid ammonia. I ended up using a patent for making sodium diphenylphosphide in anhydrous ethylenediamine for my purposes. After adding 1,2-dichloroethane, allowing the mixture to stand overnight and a aqueous work up I got a 60% yield of the product. I tried the reaction twice on two different scales and the yields were within six percent of each other. I am planning on preparing some of the corresponding phosphines from dichloromethane and 1,3-dichloropropane.

Cracking Dicyclopentadiene.jpg - 156kB

Amateur NMR spectroscopist
ItalianChemist
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-1-2012 at 14:09

Chemiluminescence of 2,4,5-triphenylimidazole!
It's nothing special, but i like this compound!

DSC02617 copia.JPG - 121kB
dann2
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-1-2012 at 11:24

Running a Sodium Perchlorate cell (Lead Dioxide Anode) with a very high concentration of Perrchlorate and had a power cut. The temperature of the cell fell from 50 to 30 degrees C and I obtained some nice shards of Sodium Perchlorate on the Anode. Most of them seem to come from the MMO just above the Anode proper.

perk.jpg - 107kB

[Edited on 25-1-2012 by dann2]
Adas
National Hazard

Mood: Sensitive to shock and friction

[*] posted on 25-1-2012 at 12:25

Wow, the NaClO4 is really beautiful! I wish I had some MMO electrodes, lol...

Rest In Pieces!
Morgan
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-1-2012 at 17:51

Just some gray titanium tubing anodized/flamed with a propane torch. I found if you polish the tubing surface with a very fine sandpaper it produces a far more vivid color pattern when the oxide layer forms. I think from memory, the first color to come up is a bronze-gold and then blue the more you heat it. After that it's tricky to get the pinks and greens. If you are not careful and heat it too much, it reverts back to a drab gray with faint colors barely seen. The best color is seen when viewed in indirect sunlight.

Titanium tubing.JPG - 67kB

[Edited on 26-1-2012 by Morgan]
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 25-1-2012 at 19:12

Recently I did some copper electroplating / brass electroetching. After I was through I let the electrolyte evaporate naturally and this is what I was left with.

- I know CuSO<sub>4</sub> has been done to death but this is all I have lately.

CuSO4.jpg - 384kB

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
Pulverulescent
National Hazard

Mood: Torn between two monikers ─ "hissingnoise" and the present incarnation!

[*] posted on 3-2-2012 at 04:01

A few more pretty pictures!

P

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"

A Einstein
 Pages:  1  ..  8    10    12  ..  40

Go To Top