Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Indoor Demolition
twelti
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-3-2019 at 12:34
Indoor Demolition

OK, I know "indoor explosives" sounds like an oxymoron! But, I have been thinking of how to get around my dilema. I live in a fairly populated area, prone to fires over much of the year, and on good terms with my neighbors. So, even aside from which energetic materials I might eventually synthesis and experiment with, there is the problem of WHERE to detonate them. Now, being the super cautious type that i am, I only ever plan on making very small quantities of anything anyways, but still probably too loud to detonate in my back yard on a regular basis. That got me thinking about very small scale experiments indoors. I was quite pleasantly surprised to see videos on Bitchute showing testing of det caps in a large bucket of sawdust,for example. So, I'm wondering if it would be possible to set up miniature "demolition" test space in my basement. One could even make small models of buildings or bridges or whatnot and "bring them down" with miniature charges! :D When you think about it, is solves a host of problems. It is safer, cheaper, more convenient and more controlable then going outdoors (at least for me). I'm wondering if detonators and secondary charges can be scaled down in this way? Would it still work, or is there a minimum size requirement?
johnmay
Harmless

[*] posted on 15-3-2019 at 15:27

Hello,

Few years back I saw a video of some russian guy who was testing caps in something looking like the drawing in the attachment, a hole in the ground with few tires on top closed with piece of wood and cinder block on top.
It works like some kind of silencer and muffles the bang.
He stated that is sounds "like smacking a big stick on the wall" so it could be helpful.

Regards.

file.png - 4kB
twelti
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-3-2019 at 17:46

Was it Medelejev on Bitchute? He uses a bin of sawdust and puts another bag of sawdust on top. Hard to tell from the video, but it seems not too loud.

I was wondering about a miniature det cap and miniature secondary charge. Or maybe EBW and miniature secondary.
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 16-3-2019 at 07:49

Quote:
Now, being the super cautious type that i am, I only ever plan on making very small quantities of anything anyways, but still probably too loud to detonate in my back yard on a regular basis.

Try setting something something off in a trench ─ sound will be directed upwards and your neighbours will hear very little.

sodium_stearate
Hazard to Others

Mood: No mask.

[*] posted on 16-3-2019 at 09:01

A friend of mine and I set off an experimental
device electrically one time to test it.

We made a protective enclosure for it by stacking
bricks several layers thick and deep in the form
roughly of the same shape and size as a short chimney.

The device was placed inside and a 3/4 inch thick
plywood cover was placed on the top and weighted
down by several more bricks.

When the device detonated, the cover lifted a few
inches and then dropped back down. The noise
was a rather muffled boom.

Twisted pieces of the metal container were embedded
in the bottom of the plywood, and a few of the bricks
had been busted in half. But, all in all, the brick
chimney thing worked very well as a safe way to
detonate. It was a good test.

It was the first time our handy-dandy patent-pending
boiled in water formula of KNO3 and sugar got
tested. We were in the 8th grade at the time
and had been studying solubility curves of those
ingredients in general science class at school.

This was our extrapolated extra-credit research...:cool:

"Opportunity is missed by most people
because it is dressed in overalls and it
looks like work" T.A. Edison
twelti
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-3-2019 at 14:07

Nice ideas! I'm wondering about making a very small charge using an EBW and a hundred mg of ETN. Is there a minimum amount to sustain detonation? Probably depends on the EBW parameters. The EBW method would be perhaps more amenable to indoor use, since then the electronics would not have to be portable.
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

Mood: cool.gif

[*] posted on 18-3-2019 at 10:10

@sodium_stearate ......"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and it looks like work" T.A. Edison
Maybe best motto on the World.....Especially in times, where are almost everyone computer experts. Sorry for Off Topic.....:cool:....LL

Development of primarily - secondary substances CHP (2015) Lithex (2022) Brightelite (2023) Nitrocelite (2024)

Go To Top