Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Silver nanoparticles
12thealchemist
Hazard to Others

Mood: Rare and Earthy

[*] posted on 2-4-2019 at 09:05
Silver nanoparticles

My Master's research has been focused mainly on univalent gallium chemistry, but as a byproduct of forming Ga(I), silver nanoparticles are routinely produced. These are of little interest for the project, but I figured I would try to make some at home using hobby-chemist friendlier techniques (anhydrous toluene (<5 ppm H2O) and silver triflate anyone?).

I measured out a small amount of 2 M nitric acid into a test tube, and added pieces of sterling silver until no more dissolved. By my calculations, this should give an ~1 M solution of silver nitrate:
Ag + 2 HNO3 --> AgNO3 + NO2 + H2O
I took small samples (~1 mL) of this solution, and diluted with DI water to varying degrees - 1:1 seemed to work reasonably well. Citric acid (~100 mg) was then added, followed by partial neutralisation with sodium bicarbonate (~150 mg). The resulting solution appeared to be reasonably stable, with no colour changes over a period of several hours. I then added formic acid (~1 mL, 37%) as a reducing agent. At room temperature, after 30 minutes a light brown colour was apparent, which slowly darkened culminating in a black precipitate after about 3-4 hours. Dilution appeared to slow the process, while concentration unsurprisingly accelerated it. The light brown colouration I saw is identical to the silver nanoparticles I generated in the university lab, and the stability (or lack thereof) similar.

I started this thread since there were none similar on the forum, the following two being the only ones:
Test to confirm the presence of silver nanoparticles?
how to increase the mass/weight of copper nanoparticles

My measurements are not exact because I did the experiments mainly by eye, with the intention of nailing down quantities later. The numbers given are pretty close, ±20 mg, ±0.1 mL having measured out for this post.

IMG_0040.JPG - 2.8MB
Silver nanoparticles

IMG_0043.JPG - 2.8MB
After ageing for a few hours

Just my two pennyworth
My YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/channel/UC4t9tVlAk7ww1wgCVW4yUjg
Elements collected so far: 65; to collect: Ln, Rb, Sr, Ba, F, Kr, radioactives
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 2-4-2019 at 23:12

If you used sterling silver (which normally is 0.925 fine) then you have 7.5% of other metals (mostly copper I assume). Doesn't this interfere with your experiments? You could try repeating the process with pure silver (e.g. from a silver coin like Eagle or Maple Leaf) or from pure (99.9+%) element samples, which sometimes appear on eBay, or with silver nitrate.

I also once had such a brown solution, when I tried to make a delicate silver mirror. Instead, I obtained a brown liquid, which over time turned black and after a longer time it became colorless and a thin layer of black precipitate was at the bottom. Apparently, it is very hard to make stable colloidal silver.

I also made colloidal gold (with citrate) and this works well. I get pink/purple solutions, which do deposit a little amount of precipitate, but what remains is a stable beautifully colored pink/purple solution, which can be ampouled and can be kept for years without any change.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
DrP
National Hazard

Mood: exothermic

[*] posted on 3-4-2019 at 00:51

Quote: Originally posted by 12thealchemist  
My Master's research...

Sorry - I couldn't help reading that in the voice of Renfield. :D

"Yesss Master! The research into the nanofication of the silver particles to defeat the werewolves is progressing as planned. We should be ready to deploy them by the next full moon"

\"It\'s a man\'s obligation to stick his boneration in a women\'s separation; this sort of penetration will increase the population of the younger generation\" - Eric Cartman
12thealchemist
Hazard to Others

Mood: Rare and Earthy

[*] posted on 3-4-2019 at 09:29

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
If you used sterling silver (which normally is 0.925 fine) then you have 7.5% of other metals (mostly copper I assume). Doesn't this interfere with your experiments? You could try repeating the process with pure silver (e.g. from a silver coin like Eagle or Maple Leaf) or from pure (99.9+%) element samples, which sometimes appear on eBay, or with silver nitrate.

I also once had such a brown solution, when I tried to make a delicate silver mirror. Instead, I obtained a brown liquid, which over time turned black and after a longer time it became colorless and a thin layer of black precipitate was at the bottom. Apparently, it is very hard to make stable colloidal silver.

It doesn't seem to interfere too much with my experiments. I haven't noticed any copper nanoparticles, and it was meant to be more of a test reaction than anything else. However, it seemed to work well enough to report on here. I do have pure silver; I was just being lazy.

I think that when the glass surface isn't clean enough, the nanoparticles remain in suspension rather than uniformly depositing on the surface of the glass. Also the residual solution also tends to be brown in colour. Additionally, I have noticed mirroring on the glassware from my toluene solutions.

DrP: I am highly amused :D :D

Just my two pennyworth
My YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/channel/UC4t9tVlAk7ww1wgCVW4yUjg
Elements collected so far: 65; to collect: Ln, Rb, Sr, Ba, F, Kr, radioactives
Simoski
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-4-2019 at 12:45

Silver nanoparticles sprayed onto a female cannabis plant will make the affected area produce male pollen sacks.

Chemetix
Hazard to Others

Mood: Wavering between lucidity and madness

[*] posted on 3-4-2019 at 15:26
Silver nano and glass

Silver is a really important part of the colour spectrum with glass. As a vapour deposit it can create a wide range of colour as iridescence. Nano structures are a part of how the colour is generated. There's a lot we don't know about the formation and the structures responsible for the colour and it's development as it's a mixture of chemistry of the glass and it's physical states at temperature which all contribute to the shades and hues.

This is a sample of the effect but the artist who has the techniques they have honed with experience can control what you see with expert precision. Look up borosilicate fume for examples of other peoples work. Gold vapour also has an iridescence that can be combined with silver that adds to the effect, you'll see examples of that in your search.

Silverfume.png - 497kB

Just because it popped into my feed recently here's a guy's instagram who is pretty good with the fume technique @woodchuckglass

[Edited on 3-4-2019 by Chemetix]
fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-4-2019 at 16:05

Quote: Originally posted by Simoski  
Silver nanoparticles sprayed onto a female cannabis plant will make the affected area produce male pollen sacks.
how did you discover this wwwww

Herr Haber
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-4-2019 at 04:05

Quote: Originally posted by fusso  

Looking up how feminized seeds are made I'll wager :)
Simoski
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 4-4-2019 at 07:40

Quote: Originally posted by Herr Haber  

Exactly 8 )

Simoski
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 4-4-2019 at 07:46

Quote: Originally posted by Herr Haber  

Which I think in terms of organic life is actually amazing

[Edited on 4-4-2019 by Simoski]

Go To Top