Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: zinc peroxide
symboom
International Hazard

Mood: Doing science while it is still legal since 2010

[*] posted on 11-10-2016 at 20:11
Tiny success

Ive made zinc peroxide
Very tiny amount was made this stuff is stuborn to form I have finger nail amount like 10 mg
My process

Tetramine zinc sulfate from reacting zinc sulfate with ammonia
Until it desolves

The solution is chilled
And so is the hydrogen peroxide

Solutions are mixed and the solution turns yellow its hard to see the percipitate

Yellow powder is obtained

Next attempt ill just add peroxide first
Thatway when the precipitate forms it will have peroxide already there

[Edited on 12-10-2016 by symboom]

symboom
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-10-2016 at 23:33

Quote: Originally posted by AJKOER  
Quote: Originally posted by Sciencevamos  
What about ZnCl2+H2O2???

Here is but a small extract from Atomistry.com on ZnO2 on a much larger discussion of Zinc peroxide based on extracts from the literature (link: http://zinc.atomistry.com/zinc_peroxide.html ), which the reader should note includes dated research:

"Thenard obtained an incompletely peroxidised oxide of zinc by (a) dissolving zinc hydroxide in hydrochloric acid containing hydrogen peroxide and precipitating with an alkali hydroxide; (b) acting on gelatinous zinc hydroxide with hydrogen peroxide. "

Now, Zn(OH)2 + [2 HCl + 2 H2O2] is, in my opinion, not necessarily the same as ZnCl2 (aq) + H2O2. The reason is due to the unspecified concentration of the HCl in question, for one, as for dilute HCl:

HCl (dilute) + H2O2 --> HOCl + H2O

This reaction is cited by Watt's as one of several preparations for Hypochlorous acid. To quote from "Watts' Dictionary of chemistry", page 16. "—6. Addition of H2O2 Aq (containing 2.45 p.c. H2O2) to a large excess of Cl Aq produces HClOAq, according to Fairley (B. A. 1874, 57); if much H202 is added, the HClO Aq is decomposed forming HCl Aq, H20, and evolving O." Link: http://books.google.com/books?pg=PA13&dq=Watt+preparatio...

But, with concentrate HCl, the interaction of HCl and Hypochlorous acid forms chlorine water:

HCl + HOCl = Cl2 + H2O (see http://books.google.com/books?id=zVIpX7rkk7oC&pg=PA15&am... )

In addition, with respect to the ZnCl2, if subject to concentration by evaporation, for example, the products could include say, ZnCl2.ZnO, but based on recent work, more correctly, a tetrabasic zinc chloride, ZnCl2.4Zn(OH)2.H2O (see Wikipedia article on Zinc chloride hydroxide at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinc_chloride_hydroxide_monohyd... ). My speculation is that perhaps the later compound, upon be reacted upon by the H2O2 or HOCl, may be the source of the ZnO2.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is another source, previously quoted in part below and also somewhat dated, available at http://tera-3.ul.cs.cmu.edu/NASD/4dcb85c3-9fee-4c83-9e6d-fe6... to quote:

"J. F. Eijkman boiled a soln. of zinc sulphate, which had been treated with enough aq. ammonia to dissolve the precipitate first formed, with30 per cent, hydrogen peroxide. The pale-yellow granular precipitate is stable up to nearly 130°. It is soluble in aq. sodium hydroxide with the evolution of oxygen; it explodes when heated to about 212°"

[Edited on 7-2-2014 by AJKOER]

From what I gather its the reaction already containing peroxide
So if my ammonia has hydrogen peroxide already in it although that cant work because it reacts with it

ch3misc00l
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-12-2016 at 10:19

I have made zinc peroxide using sodium zincate and hydrogen peroxide. It forms as a colloid-like precipitate that is almost pure ZnO2, but it is whitish and not yellow. Still it does burn making a green flame and forming zinc oxide as a gas that stained my burner white.
ch3misc00l
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-12-2016 at 15:53

0303075c811b425b8424defec9f21371.png - 373kB
A sample of pure ZnO2, made by Na2Zn(OH)4 + H2O2 method. It's almost white but it has a slight yellow to it.
I made this sample from a test run.

[Edited on 23-12-2016 by ch3misc00l]
Yamato71
Hazard to Self

Mood: Resigned

[*] posted on 1-2-2017 at 06:15

Back in the day, lab methods for the production of concentrated H2O2 as well as metallic and organic peroxides often made use of the extreme insolubility of barium sulfate in water. Starting with barium peroxide, almost any other peroxide may be synthesized by a simple metathesis reaction with the sulfate salt of just about any cation. You want hydrogen peroxide? React your BaO2 with sulfuric acid
(BaO2 (s) + H2SO4 (l) --> H2O2 (l) + BaSO4 (s ppt)). Zinc peroxide? No problem: BaO2(s) + ZnSO4(s) --> ZnO2(s) + BaSO4(s ppt). Get the picture?

Even though barium peroxide is only slightly soluble in water, the absolute insolubility of the product, barium sulfate drives the reaction all the way to the right, favoring products over reactants. Since the BaSO4 precipitates and leaves the reaction mixture completely, the reaction is irreversible. The barely soluble BaO2 will dissolve from suspension as fast as the BaSO4 precipitates. Rapid magnetic stirring helps to quickly dissolve the reactants. The peroxide product will accumulate until it reaches saturation, then it will precipitate, but can be separated from the BaSO4 by water extraction.. In the case of H2O2, it is miscible in all concentrations with water, so the practical upper limit of concentration is 90%-95% (the point at which it becomes dangerously unstable). Needless to say, keep it below 70%, preferably <50%.

Barium peroxide is fairly easy to make by simply roasting barium oxide at 500c in the presence of oxygen. (2 BaO + O2 --> 2BaO2). You can also use other salts of barium as feedstock, provided they can be pyrolized to BaO. Examples include the nitrate, hydride, carbonate, hydroxide, sulfide, hydrosulfide, sulfate, sulfite, bisulfide, bisulfite, cyanide, cyanate, etc. (Oh, and don't forget the double salts.) If you are so inclined, you can even start with barium metal, which if I'm not mistaken, will oxidize directly to barium peroxide, in the same manner as sodium.
Y71
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

Mood: cool.gif

[*] posted on 1-2-2017 at 13:19
H2O2

It seems that here I see information about preparation H2O2 high concentration. Maybe best information, respectively very easy preparation. Thus is possible prepare almost pure H2O2 any concentration ? I understand right? Acid H2SO4 is changed on neutral crystals BaSO4. Is possible thus working in overlap adding BaO2 ?Without precise counting ? Only with pH paper ? Is possible find some method for prepare BaO2 from Ba(NO3) 2 ? Thanks, .....LL.......:cool:

Development of primarily - secondary substances CHP (2015) Lithex (2022) Brightelite (2023) Nitrocelite (2024)
symboom
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-6-2017 at 01:27

Update zinc sulfate and ammonium persulfate creates yellow solution zinc peroxide? Fine precipitate waiting for it to settle. definitely zinc peroxide.

Here is my inspiration
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1_a81M9p2so
Silver nitrate and sodium persulfate

silver and zinc has some strange characteristics
Copper acually can for a peroxide but it is more tricky decomposes in water at room temperature.
Atempting same reaction except copper sulfate must be complexed with ammonium hydroxide

Ive tried this reaction with oxone the easier to get a hold of chemical I might try zinc oxide and oxone that might work as oxone is acidic which could explain why it did not work or complexed with ammonium hydroxide

[Edited on 15-6-2017 by symboom]

[Edited on 15-6-2017 by symboom]

[Edited on 16-6-2017 by symboom]

IMG_20170615_220224.jpg - 3MB

symboom
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-7-2017 at 01:34

A response to LL i am understand how the properties change going from Mg to Ba

magnesium peroxide
reaction with hydrogen peroxide
Calcium peroxide
Reaction with hydrogen peroxide
Strontium peroxide is interesting
Reaction with hydrogen peroxide or heating strontium oxide in pure oxygen
barium peroxide
Heating barium oxide in pure oxygen

Other preparations listed

Chloride and peroxide route

Ammonium and peroxide

evaporating zinc oxide or hydroxide with hydrogen peroxide

ZnO2.H2O by acting with 30 per cent, hydrogen peroxide on alkali zincates. It decomposed explosively at 178°

A similar product was obtained by dissolving zinc nitrate in concentrated ammonia solution, cooling to -5° C., adding a concentrated solution of hydrogen peroxide, and stirring the filtered precipitate for some time with more of the hydrogen peroxide. The product was either moist ZnO2 or ZnO2.½H2O.

The prolonged action of the calculated amount of 30 per cent, hydrogen peroxide solution on freshly ignited zinc oxide.

Commercially, zinc peroxide has been prepared by allowing barium peroxide suspended in water to act on the zinc salt of an acid that forms an insoluble barium salt.

The electrolytic preparation. A solution of zinc chloride neutralised with zinc oxide, is electrolysed using a porous diaphragm, and hydrogen peroxide is added to the cathode cell. The precipitated hydrated peroxides are carefully dried.

When pure zinc oxide reacts with an ethereal solution of hydrogen peroxide, the product has the composition Zn4O7.2H2O. It loses oxygen when heated with water at 100° C., and forms Zn3O5.H2O. Both these peroxides are reddish-yellow powders that are stable under ordinary conditions and explode at 212°-216° C.

Mine reaction to zinc peroxide
Zinc sulfate and ammonium persulfate (peroxydisulfate)
Forms zinc peroxide and ammonium sulfate

[Edited on 22-7-2017 by symboom]

AJKOER
Radically Dubious

[*] posted on 2-5-2018 at 08:17

Here is a new path I am thinking about.

Paste a damp mix of ZnO and an ascorbate onto the inside of a large vessel.

Fill the vessel with singlet oxygen (from say hair bleaching strength H2O2 dripped onto TCCA).

Logic: See 'Ascorbate Reacts with Singlet Oxygen to Produce Hydrogen Peroxide', abstract at https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2147043/ . I would avoid using ascorbate acid, as this would reverse the reaction back to H2O2, or possibly more so, as interestingly there is a gas-solid reverse reaction with select acids (say dry gaseous HCl), to quote:

"1Δ‐O2 can now be made safely and efficiently from gas–solid reactions between alkali‐metal peroxides and hydrogen halides [Eq. (1)]. This method avoids the liquid‐phase quenching and instability problems associated with the hydrogen peroxide/chlorine system."

Source: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/1521-3773%28...

There is also a slower reaction of singlet oxygen with water producing H2O2.

[Edited on 2-5-2018 by AJKOER]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top