Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Static Electricity Mitigation
twelti
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-4-2019 at 15:53
Static Electricity Mitigation

I did some searching on SM and elsewhere but did not find too much about static electricity. Specifically I'm wondering what measures people are taking to reduce risks? Grounded wrist strap? grounded containers or spoons/mixers etc.? Anti static spray? Anti-static materials (brass for one)? Anti-static ionizers ( see https://www.keyence.com/products/static/ionizer/sj-l/index_p... - this thing even detects static buildup supposedly).

If I am mixing something that is static sensitive on a piece of paper, would having a grounded foil backing and grounded mixing stick be a good idea?

Herr Haber
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-4-2019 at 06:13

Lots of humidity (shower before, hang the clothes the same day), ground yourself and of course avoid synthetics.
But if you're working in the lab you're probably wearing cotton already.
Rocinante
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-4-2019 at 04:47

Forget about grounding/static. You will never have all it takes to make it safe. Use moist air. Don't use large amounts of anything static-prone, using blast mittigation devices for filling anything, wear face shields (at least 3 layers of plexi) and glasses (combination) + ear plugs (combination with ear muffs is ideal) and at least two layers of gloves (kevlar/steel + leather), kevlar/leather sleeves and use distance tools like sticks to mix it. Never let your fingers close to the compound, 10 - 15 cm is the closets you can get.
MineMan
National Hazard

[*] posted on 16-4-2019 at 21:57

Ionizer.... best bet recommended by an industry folk

Go To Top