Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Finding solubilities of a compound in different solvents
cnidocyte
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-11-2010 at 09:36
Finding solubilities of a compound in different solvents

To find out the solubility curve of a compound in various common solvents, where should I look? I have an edition of the CRC Handbook of Organic Compounds but it usually only lists 2 or 3 solvents. Is there an online database that stores this kinda information? A site that showed the solubility curve for many compounds in all the common solvents would be pretty cool but I can't seem to find one.
madscientist
National Hazard
Thread Moved
21-11-2010 at 04:05
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 22-11-2010 at 16:45

There are millions of compounds and hundreds of solvents.
For common substances like potassium hydroxide the solubility in water over a range of temperatures is known plus solubility in lower alcohols, DMF, etc and moderately available.
There is lots of data in the primary literature but getting at it is a different matter.
If you have access to Chemical Abstracts online and the journals as well the world is your ormer*

* Ormer or sea ear, a type of abalone found off the coast of Brittany, very tasty!
jokull
National Hazard

Mood: Ice glassed

[*] posted on 22-11-2010 at 19:12

Being specific about the compound you are interested in may help users to help you.
The WiZard is In
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-11-2010 at 09:56

Quote: Originally posted by cnidocyte  
To find out the solubility curve of a compound in various common solvents, where should I look? I have an edition of the CRC Handbook of Organic Compounds but it usually only lists 2 or 3 solvents. Is there an online database that stores this kinda information? A site that showed the solubility curve for many compounds in all the common solvents would be pretty cool but I can't seem to find one.

Being an analogue person I first check :—

Seidell's — Solubilities of Inorganic and Metal-Organic Compounds
D Van Nostrand.

I do not know what the latest ed dobe, I own the 1958 4th
edition. 1914 pages.

The Merck Index can also be useful.
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 23-11-2010 at 12:16

For organic compounds, Beilstein is the best source for references containing solubility data (or any other physico-chemical property). If you check the entry for a compound in Beilstein it will have references organized by categories, one of which is solubility (provided that there is any such data available in the literature and that it got abstracted). Gmelin perhaps has a similar system for inorganic compounds, but I'm not sure as I did not use it in the last few years.

Go To Top