Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Type-k ptfe-coated thermocouples?
cogburnd02
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-4-2019 at 06:51
Type-k ptfe-coated thermocouples?

Let's say I want to measure the temp of some boiling sulfuric acid (for distillation.) What's the difference between something like this and something like this or this? why are the more expensive ones so much more expensive? Just because they're stick-shaped? Is that last one type-k or how can I find out?
Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 24-4-2019 at 07:16

you can find out by asking the seller, this way you can be sure 100%.
for the reason why the last two probes are much more expensive than the first, look at how different they are. the cheaper one has just a blob of ptfe on the thermocouple junction, the cables are not ptfe, so this probe has just a little advantage over a naked probe (corrosive fluids can still creep between the ptfe and the plastic insulation of the wires). the expensive probes are fully encased in ptfe, so you could submerge 10cm of it in a corrosive environment without any problems.

a naked probe costs 1 dollar, naked probe but with a blob of ptfe just on the tip 10 dollars, fully encased "stick" 80 dollars, always a tenfold in price

---------------------------------------------------------------------
feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make
---------------------------------------------------------------------
cogburnd02
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-4-2019 at 07:41

Thanks. I thought the wires & stuff were ptfe coated. Also, I sincerely did not think of asking the seller. I feel like an idiot. Clearly I didn't get enough sleep last night. Again, thank you.
kulep
Harmless

Mood: Spicy

[*] posted on 24-4-2019 at 08:19

Isn't a glass tube sealed in one end suitable for what you need? Just put the thermocouple inside with some packing material, you can also use an all glass thermometer adapter instead so no leaks
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-4-2019 at 18:24

A glass thermocouple well is what you describe, but they are quite expensive (if well made with glass joints), and they are fragile as can be. Glass thermometers are also great, but again fragile. I have a few stick type thermocouples in a variety of types, lengths, and end plugs, some are PTFE coated, and those are full encased. I posted a photo of some a while back.

files.php.jpg - 45kB

Go To Top