Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Subject - H2SO4 experiments, questions.
thunderfvck
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

mad.gif posted on 8-2-2004 at 21:34
Subject - H2SO4 experiments, questions.

Okay now I'm fucking pissed off. I just wrote out a nice fucking message and I forgot to enter a subject. Fucking thing told me to go back and enter one. I did and everything I had written was gone. Jesus fucking christ.

Sorry about that but I'm sure you can imagine my anger.

OKAY. To recap.

I did an experiement today to determine the percentage of H2SO4 in a drain cleaner product. It turned out to be 98% roughly, very exciting. The drain cleaner I had used had a red color to it, some kind of impurity. Anyway, when I diluted the acid in water (TAP water) a gas was formed. It was wispy white as I recall. What gas could this have been?

When I neutralized the acid with NaHCO3, the SAME stuff that had been diluted with the water that caused a gas to evolve, and the acid was fully neutralized, the color of the solution went from somewhat clear to red. I wasn't aware that my solution of drain cleaner with water was an indicator. What's going on?

H2SO4 + 2NaHCO3 ---> Na2SO4 + 2CO2 + 2H2O

So CO2 is released. While doing the experiment the gas released did not smell like CO2. THe gas smelled like burning death. I tried my best to refrain from the noxious vapours. What could have caused this?

Thank you.

Enter subject...thank you, you fucking piece of programmed anal matter...

JDP
Harmless

Mood: |:booM

[*] posted on 8-2-2004 at 22:00
hmm

Burning death? what does that smell like?:P I would amagin the gas formed while diluteing the H2SO4 is SO3 or steem from the rapid heating of the sulfuric from hydration.

~JDP
Theoretic
National Hazard

Mood: eating the souls of dust mites

[*] posted on 9-2-2004 at 06:46

"Enter subject...thank you, you fucking piece of programmed anal matter..."
Indeed! I've had the same fucking problem about 5 times! Every time I've written about half of a side of A4, and "enter a fucking subject"! And it's all gone!
Can this PLEASE be changed? I'm sure I'm not the only one (or two)...
On the subject... Maybe the pH indicator apparently present was an organosulfate and SO2 was somehow released?
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-2-2004 at 07:10

Ehm, you're adding water to H2SO4?

Vapor = H2O droplets with H2SO4 by flash boiling.

We already have enough threads about H2SO4.

Ask your question in one of them.

Closed.

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.

Go To Top