Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Unusual PETN problem
twelti
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-4-2019 at 16:08
Unusual PETN problem

I wanted to try PETN synthesis, having had good luck with ETN. I can't even get started though, for a strange reason. The pentaerythritol I bought (from China source BTW), is ROCK hard. I know it is supposed to be ground to a fine powder. I had no issues with grinding other materials for other projects. But THIS one! I spent 30 minutes with mortar and pestle and barely made a dent in it. My hand has a new blister. I'm putting more energy into the grinding than the detonation will produce. I tried in a coffee grinder, made a horrendous noise. After several minutes, not much change in the crystals. I took it and wrapped it in several layers of paper and wailed on it with a 5 lb hammer as hard as I could for several minutes, still dont think I'm ever going to get it to a "fine" powder. Should I try and recrystalize it somehow? I'm at a loss...

Maybe this one should be moved to "Chine Supplier" thread. I believe what I got was not PE. It is not soluble in EtOH ! It said "PVA" on the bag, I just assumed that was a Chinese abreviation for their name for it. On after thought that was stupid of me! Poly Vinyl Alcohol?

[Edited on 28-4-2019 by twelti]
MineMan
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-4-2019 at 23:11

Does it produce a liquid upon melting or does it just burn?? Does it deform under impact or act plasticly? Yah. Pretty sure you got some polymer.
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-4-2019 at 05:13

Plus side is if it is PVA grind some powder off and you got the perfect thing to make PVA - lead azide, and I love it, very easy to work with, low dust, and compounds and presses beautifully
twelti
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-4-2019 at 08:14

Quote: Originally posted by MineMan  
Does it produce a liquid upon melting or does it just burn?? Does it deform under impact or act plasticly? Yah. Pretty sure you got some polymer.

I didn't try heating it yet, but it DID seem to deform more like a plastic when I hammered on it. Also after tryint to nitrate it (was gonna use the procedure where you dissolve in HNO3 first then add to H2SO4) it never fully dissolved and clumped up into a brown mass when I dumped it in water.
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 28-4-2019 at 08:34

Does it dissolve in water? Poly vinyl alcohol is soluble in water but not in ethanol. I use PVA foam when fishing to make the bait and hook float when dropping on the bottom of the water to make sure the hook doesn't get tangled with the line. The foam dissolves within minutes to free the hook.
twelti
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-4-2019 at 09:09

Quote: Originally posted by Tsjerk  
Does it dissolve in water? Poly vinyl alcohol is soluble in water but not in ethanol. I use PVA foam when fishing to make the bait and hook float when dropping on the bottom of the water to make sure the hook doesn't get tangled with the line. The foam dissolves within minutes to free the hook.

No, it seems to not be soluble in anything I have.
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 28-4-2019 at 11:42

Strange. Poly vinyl acetate is also soluble in quite some solvents.

Go To Top