Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: First Rocket Candy attempt
Oppenheimer
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-11-2010 at 06:42
First Rocket Candy attempt

Ok so yesterday I tried to make my first batch of rocket candy using

60g stump remover (KNO3 I hope--didn't list materials)
30g sugar
14g sugar syrup

I'm going to try and find some iron oxide today at a pigment arts and crafts store.

I think my problem was that I didn't let it cook long enough, I had it to there point where it was a very thick paste, and rolled it into a cylinder for a burn test, but it was till a little bit sticky, and baaaarely snapped when it was cool.

I am going to try again and cook it a bit longer to drive off more water.

My only question is, if the stump remover doesn't list ingridients, how can I be sure its KNO3 or NaNO3 and not NH4NO3?

While cooking I got a whiff of some of the fumes and they immediately made my lungs close up and I had to back away.

It sort of smelled like ammonia...but I am wondering if it was something dissolving in the water in my nostrils/lungs to give it an acidic burning smell.

Ammonium nitrate decomposes into N2 O2 + water...so maybe it isn't ammonia I"m smelling?

Any ideas?
Joauml
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-11-2010 at 07:09

Stump remover can be many things. Try mixing it with sugar (2 stump : 1 sugar) and try to burn it, if it's NH4NO3 it will barely burn, if it's NaNO3 it will burn with a very yellow flame and if it's KNO3, it will burn with a faint purple color or little yellow. It also can be metabisulfite or even chlorate.

people can buy gunpowder without questions, but if I buy glycerin, people ask me if I'm going to make a bomb.
Oppenheimer
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-11-2010 at 09:34

Thanks for the reply. I found a great video by Nurdrage on youtube about testing stump remover to find out what it is. I've mixed dry powder and sugar together, and a match wont light it. I don't have a butane torch to try it at a higher temperature though.

After i read it could be a metabisulfite in your post, I looked that up, and found that can give off sulfur dioxide, which is a pungeant harsh gas (Fits the bill of what I've been smelling) which when mixed with water can produce sulfurous acid (which would explain the burning smell in my nose/lungs).

I emailed the company to try and find out what it is...but now I"m leaning towards sodium metabisulfate. THanks for the help
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

Mood: Fissile

[*] posted on 26-11-2010 at 13:37

If you just got crazy and posted the name of the stump remover someone here could probably tell you what it is.

The Bonide brand is metabisulfite and if you add a little vinegar to about a gram you will smell SO2.
Ozone
International Hazard

Mood: Integrated

[*] posted on 26-11-2010 at 13:52

Heating sugar with a trace of acid will ultimately give formic and levulinic acids. These will react will metabisulfite in the same way as acetic acid (vinegar).

O3

-Anyone who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
--Albert Einstein
Oppenheimer
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-11-2010 at 16:33

haha yes entropy51, in all the critical thinking I did, I completely forgot the most simple approach. It is Bonide, so it was sulfur dioxide I was smelling, and it is also why the rocket candy never worked. Case solved. Thanks
Bismuth
Harmless

[*] posted on 28-11-2010 at 23:29

I know... I know...

We go through this thousands of times. But be bloody careful about making r-candy. A LOT of accidents happen when cooking it and they often result in 2nd degree burns. If I had to put money on it, it's one of the most common accidents when dealing with 'pyrotechnics'.

Recently someone on a forum I frequent had an accident making it and his burns look nasty. I also believe iron oxide lowers the activation energy of the mixture. The quantity you're making at a time is enough to do a fair bit of damage. But enough of that... I felt obliged to just throw that out there due to recent incidents. Back to the Science.

It might be worth recrystallizing the potassium nitrate when you acquire a source (if you plan to use stump remover) before you use it as some blends can be rather contaminated. It's not much effort to do anyway. Happy experimenting.
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 29-11-2010 at 03:21

A version of rocket candy was known as Paxo, after a proprietory brand of stuffing mixture available in the UK. The stuff was made by the Provisional IRA for use in letter bombs, etc, it was notoriously unstable.
Trying to make explosives by mixing unknown materials together is madness.
quicksilver
International Hazard

Mood: ~-=SWINGS=-~

[*] posted on 29-11-2010 at 08:11

Quote: Originally posted by ScienceSquirrel  

Trying to make explosives by mixing unknown materials together is madness.

Don't waste your time. This will be closed shortly: it's lack of science is obvious, it's danger - overwhelming. Things will get back to normal in a bit here.

ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 29-11-2010 at 14:14

Sadly I keep on saying it but too many people ignore it.
Chemists should learn their trade with safe chemicals and reactions before moving on to things that are more challenging.
There is a significant chance that if your first organic synthesis is Triacetone triperoxide, ( TATP ), it will be your last!
Oppenheimer
Harmless

[*] posted on 29-11-2010 at 14:24

Well thank you for the concern, but I make sure to wear proper safety equipment and work in small quantities before scaling up. I was under the impression rocket candy mixes of potassium nitrate and sugar were QUITE stable, as I've seen numerous videos of people making it in their kitchen or outside with no apparent problems.

What accidents arise that have given people burns? Would gloves have prevented the problem? (Thick gloves not nitrile or latex)

I bet some people have used their open flame stove tops for it as well, when an electric oven would be more suited to the task.

Also, I'm not following how "Trying to make explosives by mixing unknown materials together is madness."

My intention was never to make an explosive.

I'm a senior undergrad in chemistry, so I do have appreciation for safety and potential hazards, but I do not see this as an extremely challenging or dangerous experiment.

Also thanks for the heads up about re-crystalization, although at this point with united nuclear selling kno3 for $3 I might just go that route.

ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-11-2010 at 16:45

Your stump killer could have been based on sodium chlorate!
Sugar, sodium chlorate and a few odds and sods on a hundred gram scale could turn you into a mess of bits of flesh and bone that will never be recognisable by your mum and will require shovelling in to a plastic bag in a closed coffin :(
Rocket fuels are explosives, they are just not explosive enough to blow you apart out right!
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-11-2010 at 17:00

Quote: Originally posted by Oppenheimer  
Ok so yesterday I tried to make my first batch of rocket candy using

60g stump remover (KNO3 I hope--didn't list materials)
30g sugar
14g sugar syrup

If that had been sodium chlorate it could have gone off with the power of a quarter of a stick of dynamite!
Oppenheimer
Harmless

[*] posted on 29-11-2010 at 17:12

This is true, it was quite stupid to start with 60g of an unknown oxidizer, it's just that all the reading I've done and videos I've watched, I've seen people use far more then that, and the product appears to be a stable thick paste.

It's strange to me picturing a mixture of compounds actually EXPLODING with enough force in an open pan to actually cause damage.

Perhaps next time I will use only a few grams (of a known oxidizer) and see if it works.
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-11-2010 at 17:30

Quote: Originally posted by Oppenheimer  
This is true, it was quite stupid to start with 60g of an unknown oxidizer, it's just that all the reading I've done and videos I've watched, I've seen people use far more then that, and the product appears to be a stable thick paste.

It's strange to me picturing a mixture of compounds actually EXPLODING with enough force in an open pan to actually cause damage.

Perhaps next time I will use only a few grams (of a known oxidizer) and see if it works.

There are plenty of things that will explode in an open pan and create significant damage on a gram scale.
Try silver or copper acetylide, lead azide, iron picrate.
Or stick a gram of them in a test tube and shake in front of your eyes, instant white stick for life! :-(
Oppenheimer
Harmless

[*] posted on 29-11-2010 at 17:42

So has anyone tried the KNO3 Sugar r-candy mix and come out unscathed?
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-11-2010 at 18:37

If you start with known ingredients and follow a good procedure using appropriate care you may be OK.
But it really is not my first experiment!
The whole idea of practical chemistry is that the student gains experience during their career so they can handle more challenging substances safely.
Even the best chemists make mistakes but years of experience do provide some protection when handling the truly deadly like dimethyl mercury.
Oppenheimer
Harmless

[*] posted on 29-11-2010 at 19:04

I have no interest in dimethy mercury or copper acetylide or any other deflegrating/explosive agents, only rocket fuel mix. What experiments would you do as you rfirst experiment then?
Ozone
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-11-2010 at 19:38

Rocket candy is FINE (many of us made it when we were kids)! Just know what the hell you are putting in the pan (and how much). And, do it outside, or with appropriate ventillation and fire extinguishing/safety equipment/knowledge.

Your FAILURE to do ALL of these things could have led to catastrophic consequences (at the very least, being gassed with SO2 is unpleasant).

Are you functionally unable to realize that we would like for you learn how to experiment safely (or do you counter all advice defensively?) The first step is to listen to those who are trying to help. The second is to do some research. A quick search on YouTube, for example, has several videos of successful preparation...and several videos, perhaps more useful, of failures and accidents. See especially the deflagration which occured during a preparation in a garage ( would have been bad news in a kitchen).

Edited for an admittedly ambiguous statement I made last night. Apologies for that.
O3

Sheesh,

O3

[Edited on 30-11-2010 by Ozone]

--Albert Einstein
Oppenheimer
Harmless

[*] posted on 29-11-2010 at 20:08

Quote:

Are you functionally unable to figure that this is the realization that the others would like for you to have?! Sheesh,

I don't know what that means. Does that mean other people want me to blowup?

Ozone
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-11-2010 at 21:32

Edit: Alright. I'll retract that. It wasn't constructive.

Am I the only one who is unusually sensitive after the recent rash of frustrating posts (especially with energetics)?

--Albert Einstein
psychokinetic
National Hazard

Mood: Constantly missing equilibrium

[*] posted on 29-11-2010 at 22:54

Sheesh O3. I had to read it a few times to make sure, too. o.o

No Oppenheimer, we want you to be safe, and not stupid :)

Aside from the fact you stuck unknowns in, you seem to at least think about what you are doing. We've had a small rash of morons in this here department that don't understand that safety and science go hand in hand.

Even when you're going to be unsafe, do it safely ;)

“If Edison had a needle to find in a haystack, he would proceed at once with the diligence of the bee to examine straw after straw until he found the object of his search.
I was a sorry witness of such doings, knowing that a little theory and calculation would have saved him ninety per cent of his labor.”
-Tesla
Microtek
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-11-2010 at 06:34

Candy propellant is quite safe (as energetics go). If you haven't already, take a look at James Yawn's site about "recrystallised" candy propellant. When you mix the ingredients wet, you avoid a lot of the dangers of conventional pyrotechnics preparation. Also, when you only heat the mixture to ca. 110 C to drive off most of the water instead of melting the mixture you avoid another major risk.
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-11-2010 at 07:44

Potassium nitrate and sugar is several orders of magnitude safer than potassium or sodium chlorate and sugar or worse sulphur.
Making energetic materials, be they explosives or propellants, requires exact knowledge of what you have and a good guide to their preparation.
You want to start with a known good sample of potassium nitrate and make about 5 -10g on your first go following the instructions on James Yawn's site exactly.
I would use a thermometer and regulate the temperature as closely as possible.
Remember at all times, you are making rocket fuel, NOT play dough! :P
Rosco Bodine
Banned

Mood: analytical

[*] posted on 3-12-2010 at 03:54

This thread starts out with an ill conceived notion that a science experiment is mixing unidentified materials and then "cooking" the mixture at an unspecified temperature, following no detailed or monitored procedure, with the goal in mind of making rocket propellant. This isn't really a valid science experiment. It isn't logical or safe to handle pyrotechnic compositions in a way that is foolish.
A kitchen is not a safe or proper place for making rocket fuel.
(An electric oven is not the proper tool either)

Edit: Oppenheimer sent me a U2U clarifying that the
procedure described in the original post was done outdoors
using a thermostatically controlled hotplate. Such details
should have been included in the first post describing what was being done. I'll reopen this thread and see if any useful links or discussion is added. There are several rocketry specific pages which have extensive information.

Here is one of them
http://www.nakka-rocketry.net/
sugar rocketry links page
http://www.jamesyawn.com/sugarsites/index.html

[Edited on 4-12-2010 by Rosco Bodine]
Rosco Bodine
Banned
Thread Closed
3-12-2010 at 03:54
Rosco Bodine
Banned
Thread Opened