Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Salting out alcohols
beeludwig
Harmless

[*] posted on 7-5-2019 at 06:59
Salting out alcohols

I'm trying to salt out alcohols either a 50:50 mix of ethanol or isopropanol and neither is working. It is one of the simplest procedures in chemistry and I'm not sure what's going wrong.

I created a 1:1 ratio of anhydrous ethanol and tap water and mixed them together. Then I added table salt until no more would dissolve. Then I mixed them up but there's been no separation of layers. Is there something in the tap water or in the table salt that's interfering? But I can't think of any reason for it. One time I tried making a saturated salt solution first and then mixing, but the salt precipitate out instead of the ethanol. I feel like I'm missing something blindingly obvious. Any ideas?
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 7-5-2019 at 07:19

I think that NaCl is not sufficiently soluble. Try with adding NaOH. E.g. take 5 ml of isopropanol, 5 ml of water, mix, and then add solid NaOH. Probably you salt out some of the isopropanol.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at http://www.oelen.net/science
happyfooddance
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-5-2019 at 08:22

For ethanol, use potassium cation salt (K2CO3, KCl).

For isopropanol, use sodium cation salt (NaOH, NaCl).

With a 50/50 etOH/water you will need to use a very large proportion of salt, and it will be well worth your time to powder it finely.
MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-5-2019 at 08:23

NaOH has worked for me. To dehydrate 91% isopropanol (IPA), I added in a good amount of NaOH (10's of grams to a regular store-bought bottle of IPA) and shook for a few minutes. The hydroxide pulls out almost all of the water into a separate layer that can be easily removed. You then have to distill the IPA to get rid of the NaOH, and the result is very pure and very dry alcohol.

Go To Top