Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What is the goo formed by adding KOH to crude diethyl ether?
Keras
National Hazard

[*] posted on 10-5-2019 at 00:34
What is the goo formed by adding KOH to crude diethyl ether?

Guys,

I recently made some diethyl ether using the hackneyed ethanol + sulphuric acid mixture. I washed the result with NaHCO3, separated it, then let it stand over calcium chloride and went on to redistill it at 50 °C. Thought I would get some nice clean substance, so I added a few flakes of KOH to take care of peroxides, and let the small bottle stand.

However, since then, the KOH has dissolved and formed a sort of reddish goo – well it’s not really a goo, more like powder and probably a reddish liquid. That reminds me of what Nerdrage got in his video about purifying diethyl ether, so I guess my sample was far from pure. But anyways, does anyone have a clue as to what exactly KOH reacts with and what is that red product? Sulphur something?

Thanks!

PS: I can get a bottle of anhydrous diethyl ether for about €20, I think I’ll quit trying to make it myself. It’s a nice experiment, very didactical, but it’s not worth neither time nor hassle.

Phthaloblue
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-5-2019 at 11:52

When diethyl ether is made this way, probably the product is contaminated with some acetaldehyde which formed from the oxidation of ethanol. When KOH is added, it will catalyze aldol condensation and polymerization. If dehydration of these aldol products occurs, you could get unsaturated compounds with visible color. So the red gunk probably formed from the aldehydes contaminating your ether.

I haven't made any ether this way, so this is only an educated guess. If you have access to an NMR machine or IR spectrometer, you could try confirming the presence of aldehydes (or other suspect contaminants) in the raw ether and their absence after KOH treatment.

Add some BHT and maybe a few coils of copper to prevent peroxide formation, or else use the ether quickly!
Keras
National Hazard

[*] posted on 27-5-2019 at 00:06

Thanks for your answer! My ether is actually stored over KOH, and that goo formed in the course of a week or so.

I suppose I could get rid of it by redistilling the ether. Or I was wondering if the acetaldehyde could be oxidised further to acetic acid, then neutralised with KOH and eliminated by washing with water. Of course I would then have to once again remove the residual water from the ether… :S

Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 27-5-2019 at 00:42

Quote: Originally posted by Keras  
Or I was wondering if the acetaldehyde could be oxidised further to acetic acid, then neutralised with KOH and eliminated by washing with water. Of course I would then have to once again remove the residual water from the ether… :S

KOH already works quite well to purify it, sure you could use an oxidizer, but you would still need to wash the solution with a base and distill it to remove everything else. KOH already partially dries it, so you would just need to filter and distill. i don't see any gains with your idea

---------------------------------------------------------------------
feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Keras
National Hazard

[*] posted on 28-5-2019 at 02:06

Quote: Originally posted by Ubya  

KOH already works quite well to purify it, sure you could use an oxidizer, but you would still need to wash the solution with a base and distill it to remove everything else. KOH already partially dries it, so you would just need to filter and distill. i don't see any gains with your idea

You’re right. I was thinking about oxidising it before you let it rest over KOH. That way you can neutralise the acetic acid with, say, sodium bicarbonate. You wash the sodium acetate with water, and you get already a purer ether than you can then place over KOH.

Go To Top