Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Carbon nanotubes?
elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 14-5-2019 at 23:28
Carbon nanotubes?

For a materials science application involving optically transparent electrical conductors, I find myself needing a multi-wall carbon nanotube sheet. Having looked around a bit for buying raw carbon nanotube feedstock, I couldn't find any at the length the paper I'm following specifies (300 - 350 um).

The paper also specifies that the MWNT were synthesized by chemical vapor deposition of acetylene gas, but I'm wondering if anyone knows any good (and less potentially explosive) DIY methods for creating a 'nanotube forest' for drawing into a sheet. I have access to a vacuum furnace if need be, and can probably source or make catalysts depending on what is needed, but probably can't use feedstocks like large amounts of acetylene. Any thoughts?

Humorously, I also reached out to the author of the paper asking for alternatives to making this transparent electrically conductive sheet, and he suggested silica fiber sheet. Last I checked, silica's a strong electrical insulator, but hey, anything's a conductor if you pump enough current through it, right?

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 15-5-2019 at 11:07

Been looking into this a bit more, and this looks promising:

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1007.1062.pdf

They don't mention yield, but I don't need much to make a thin film of the stuff. Only requirements are readily pure starting reagents (graphite, H2SO4, HNO3, and KClO3), and access to a controlled heat source of around 70 C (pretty much any hot plate would do). Unfortunately, I don't have these on me at the moment. Still, if anyone wants carbon nanotubes for some project or another, they should try this and see if it works!

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd

Go To Top