Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: The antidote to modern chemistry textbooks
NigelF
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-6-2019 at 08:40
The antidote to modern chemistry textbooks

Contemporary textbooks in chemistry seem have adopted the notion that “more is better”; the books are long, expensive, and the pages are often cluttered with interesting titbits and restatements of what it is that you have “just learned”.

Although many educational institutions utilise virtual learning environments (Moodle/Blackboard), students are often still expected to:
• read large chunks from gargantuan textbooks;
• regurgitate information;
• sit through traditional ‘broadcast’ style lectures;
• complete homework assignments that often simply test the ability to look answers up online.

This model is outdated, tired, and scientifically proven to be ineffective. Extensive pedagogic research over the past few decades has established that not everyone learns in the same way.

Chemistry – A Textbook (http://chemtextbook.com/chemistry-a-textbook/) is the antidote to modern chemistry texts – designed to be simple, uncluttered and very much to the point. Emphasis is given to acquiring an understanding of fundamental chemical concepts in the same way as you learn a foreign language. Explanations are concise, enhanced by simple line drawings designed to appeal to visual learners. Vital Vocabulary is introduced in a logical step-by-step manner allowing the learner to start to speak chemistry with confidence.

A web site (www.chemtextbook.com) has been developed to complement the book and is crammed full of free useful resources for both staff and students. We aim to create a supportive community for all those teaching or studying chemistry across the world. The learning resources provide an easy to understand introduction to the fundamental concepts of chemistry and simple step-by-step guides to solving chemical calculations. Each type of calculation is introduced in a very gentle way, making no great assumptions about your chemistry knowledge or maths ability. There are then lots of worked examples, gradually getting more difficult and showing as many variations on a calculation as possible. Self teach videos are also available to further enhance your learning and understanding.
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-6-2019 at 15:45

I've had a read of a few pages,
it looks to be a wide ranging general purpose introduction to chemistry with some decent information.
A bit dry, literally.... not much experimental suff in the pages that I looked at,
but I'll be reading more ..

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 3-6-2019 at 16:10

Looks ok.
Interesting, if one of the goals is to reduce "titbits" and clutter, that there is a sidebar with chemistry news.

The (little) I have read does not IMO surpass the excellent presentation forund in https://www.chemguide.co.uk/, which is a site that blogfast recommended. Solid stuff.

CharlieA
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-6-2019 at 17:00

Contemporary textbooks in chemistry seem have adopted the notion that “more is better”; the books are long, expensive, and the pages are often cluttered with interesting titbits and restatements of what it is that you have “just learned”.

Although I've been out of school for almost 60 years, your first sentence expresses my sentiments exactly. My order is in the email! Good luck with your textbook endeavors.
Charlie
Herr Haber
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-6-2019 at 05:43

I read a few lines, like how you write and will happily order a copy given the very reasonable price.

Thanks Doc ;)

Go To Top