Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Do you know where I can find a 19/26 Rodaviss to barbed hose adapter (with a stopcock)
Keras
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-6-2019 at 05:07
Do you know where I can find a 19/26 Rodaviss to barbed hose adapter (with a stopcock)

Folks,

yeah, I know, that's fairly out of the way since I have both 19/26 (I'm in Europe) and Rodaviss glassware. I'm just looking for an adapter that I could use to perform reactions under vacuum/inert gas, so I need a glass piece that would fit on the 19/26 Rodaviss threaded joint of my flask on the one side, and which would have a barbed hose on the other to connect to the vacuum tube, preferably with a stopcock in between (see attached picture: same thing, but 19/26 Rodaviss)

Okay, I could use the bent adapter that connects to the end of my distillation apparatus with a stopper, but that's a kludge at best.

Any help greatly appreciated.

images.jpg - 5kB

EDIT: I found a two-way adapter on eBay that seems fine, except it's not Rodaviss. I'm not sure Rodaviss joints are compatible with Keck clips, though, so I'm not sure I could actually use this nice piece of stuff.
s-l1600.jpg - 180kB

[Edited on 17-6-2019 by Keras]
Herr Haber
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-6-2019 at 03:07

If you have a Rodaviss cap you could always drill it and attach your tubing.
Other than that I'd ask one of Schott's resellers. Rodaviss is a niche market and it can be hard to find what you are looking for.

Duran's site isnt particularly clear either if you are trying to figure out if this or that piece of glassware does exist.
I've been looking for Viton O-rings for my own Rodaviss kit and it seems no one though it would be a good idea to make some. It's sad because I'd use that glassware a lot more if it was easier to find spare parts.
Keras
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-6-2019 at 09:20

Well that's not that easy because Rodaviss joints needs that sort of circular bump above the joint that serves as a stopper when the plastic ring is pushed by the cap during unscrewing.

Problem with resellers is that they often don't sell stuff to "individuals" but only to professionals.

You don't need the full kit, just the Viton seal, right?

As a final note, I found out the website of a local glassblower. Guy seems friendly and does both artistic and chemistry glassware, so I asked him if he could do something for me. We'll see. If he is okay and does not ask for an arm and a leg, I might even ask him to make a bespoke short-path distillation apparatus.
wg48temp9
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-6-2019 at 12:05

They have a 24/29 one on ebay.com so postage will be high and you will need an adapter

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ACE-Glass-90-PTFE-Stopcock-Tall-Flo...

s-l1600.jpg - 273kB

As you only need the circular ridge to help to disconnect the joints do you really need the ridge?

[Edited on 18-6-2019 by wg48temp9]

I am wg48 but not on my usual pc hence the temp handle.
Thank goodness for Fleming and the fungi.
Old codger' lives matters, wear a mask and help save them.
Be aware of demagoguery, keep your frontal lobes fully engaged.
I don't know who invented mRNA vaccines but they should get a fancy medal and I hope they made a shed load of money from it.
Keras
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-6-2019 at 05:31

Quote: Originally posted by wg48temp9  
They have a 24/29 one on ebay.com so postage will be high and you will need an adapter. As you only need the circular ridge to help to disconnect the joints do you really need the ridge?

Yeah, I don't want any 24/29. I stick to 19/26. Adapters are a pain. I went one and ordered the double hose single stopcock thingie I posted the picture of. It's 19/26, not Rodaviss, but I suppose it could work like any regular joint. I'll just have to order a couple of Keck clips to hold it in place.

Thanks a bunch for everything!
wg48temp9
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-6-2019 at 13:44

Quote: Originally posted by Keras  
Quote: Originally posted by wg48temp9  
They have a 24/29 one on ebay.com so postage will be high and you will need an adapter. As you only need the circular ridge to help to disconnect the joints do you really need the ridge?

Yeah, I don't want any 24/29. I stick to 19/26. Adapters are a pain. I went one and ordered the double hose single stopcock thingie I posted the picture of. It's 19/26, not Rodaviss, but I suppose it could work like any regular joint. I'll just have to order a couple of Keck clips to hold it in place.

Thanks a bunch for everything!

I had to look up what a Rodaviss joint was as I had not heard of then before From the looks of the female part the regular Keck clip will not reach to the end of the thread. You may be lucky and find the plastic nut will tighten down on the ridge at the broad end of the lapped part of the female part of the joint when the rubber O ring is in place.

I am wg48 but not on my usual pc hence the temp handle.
Thank goodness for Fleming and the fungi.
Old codger' lives matters, wear a mask and help save them.
Be aware of demagoguery, keep your frontal lobes fully engaged.
I don't know who invented mRNA vaccines but they should get a fancy medal and I hope they made a shed load of money from it.

Go To Top