Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: exhaust fan sizing
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 22-12-2010 at 13:56
exhaust fan sizing

How often should I change the air to handle routine solvent fumes and acid reaction products? (My lab is 1300 cf. ). The answer would be so many minutes per complete exchange. I thought there was a previous thread on this but I couldn't find it with the FTSE. I edited to add: I have a hood to handle the really nasty stuff.

[Edited on 22-12-2010 by chemrox]

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
aonomus
Hazard to Others

Mood: Refluxing

[*] posted on 22-12-2010 at 14:42

In general the SEFA (scientific equiment and furniture association) recomends 100 linear feet per minute face velocity for the opening of your fume hood. In terms of air exchanges for the working space, you may also want to look at the SEFA website for AE/hr recommendations. Some chemicals have lower requirements (0.5-1 AE/hr) while others have higher requirements (10 AE/hr) which gets costly as the make up air system has to heat the air (to some degree).
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-12-2010 at 16:30

Quote: Originally posted by chemrox  
How often should I change the air to handle routine solvent fumes and acid reaction products? (My lab is 1300 cf. )
You might also be able to get away with an activated carbon filter and spot ventilation for this. If you do, you'll want a removable, heat-resistant carbon cartridge for regeneration.

Go To Top