Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: N-methyl isopropylamine synthesis
xwinorb
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-12-2010 at 15:55
N-methyl isopropylamine synthesis

I have just looked more carefully at the synthesis of this substance, and I have some concerns. The synthesis I am refering to is the one in the Rhodium page.

Two steps, first forming the trazine, then reducing it with zinc and HCl.

The triazine seems to be ( I hope I had figured it out correctly ) a six ring of alternating C and N atoms. To each N atom one isopropyl radical is attached, and to each carbon atom two OH ( ? ) are also attached.

I have two questions :

1 ) Does the reduction step yields mostly N-methyl isopropylamine ?

2) I have seen this synthesis in another thread here under the name of "worst stench". This worries me also, could someone who knows more please comment on that.

Right now I don't have any practical interest in this synthesis, just curious about it.
mnick12
Hazard to Others

Mood: devious

[*] posted on 27-12-2010 at 22:18

While I have not had any expirience with N-methylisopropylamine most amines tend to have a fishy "dead meat" smell, so if I were going to make any I would make sure to keep it as a salt and not the freebase.
Oh also what is N-methylisopropylamine used for anyway, alkylations?
xwinorb
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-12-2010 at 14:16

Both methyl isopropylamine and diisopropylamine are used in the synthesis of 4 and 5 substituted tryptamines.

Me and many others like the 4's best, but unhappily main precursors like indole are a difficult aquisition and the 4 substituted T's are sensitive to moisture, air and I guess also extreme reaction conditions.

I don't think I have the knowledge, experience or resources to make it, I am just curious about it.

I don't like the triazine way, I was just trying to confirm there might be problems with this method or not, just my tentative impression.

Go To Top