Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: My IP keeps being banned and my user deleted.
thors.lab
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-7-2019 at 02:31
My IP keeps being banned and my user deleted.

Hi,

So my user was just auto-deleted and my IP banned for the third time for doing absolutely nothing.

Essentially, it seems that any time I post on the OChem board, I get IP banned and my user totally deleted. When I go to log in on my phone, my user no longer exists. I have made the same exact account with the same user name and same email address 4 times already. My posts were also all deleted.

I've spoken to j_sum1 about this, and he also seems to have no idea why this is happening to me, except perhaps anti-spam filters. However, the first two times were links to my youtube video on benzene by decarboxylation, and asking for constructive criticism. The third time (just now), I wrote a full summary of the procedure and an analysis of my results so that my post would appear less like spam. Still, when I reloaded the page, I was banned.

All my posts are, again, gone. Even the ones that I posted to a different board. Interestingly though, my U2U messages with j_sum1 are still thereā€¦

If anybody has any idea what I'm doing to trigger the spam filter, please let me know. Maybe it's because I'm posting a URL as a relatively new user? Maybe I'm making too many requests by reloading too often or visiting too many posts too quickly? (Seems odd because I'm not browsing that quickly)

Thanks,

Thor
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 19-7-2019 at 03:55

If it is any consolation, (probably not) I lost a month of posting when I first signed up. I started a nice thread on La and was learning lots from the discussion. Thread gone too. Still had (have) u2us from that time.

I hadn't noticed your posts. But having a reply in this thread might help.

Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 19-7-2019 at 04:40

Lets hope for polverone's return and the accommodated transfer of the forum to the new forum platform.
thors.lab
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-7-2019 at 19:13

oof, finally got unbanned!
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-7-2019 at 05:00

Quote: Originally posted by thors.lab  
oof, finally got unbanned!

I been IP banned twice now doe no known reason. It is indeed annoying.
Felis Corax
Harmless

Mood: Pre-project euphoria

[*] posted on 26-7-2019 at 21:29

This just happened to me too. I didn't have a months worth of posts, but I did have a couple I'm sorry to lose. At least the ip ban is no biggie as my router goes through a vpn.

Nothing is pure, nothing is perfect, nothing is clean.
Abromination
Hazard to Others

Mood: 1,4 tar

[*] posted on 30-7-2019 at 15:57

I was IP banned once while camping in the middle of my bicycling tour. Had a day to relax half way through, first internet in a week and the only interesting thing that I cared for on wifi was blocked!
Twas a shame.

List of materials made by ScienceMadness.org users:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nmJ8uq-h4IkXPxD5svnT...
--------------------------------
Elements Collected: H, Li, B, C, N, O, Mg, Al, Si, P, S, Fe, Ni, Cu, Zn, Ag, I, Au, Pb, Bi, Am
Last Acquired: B
Next: Na
--------------
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-8-2019 at 04:41

Two times it happened to me, I noticed odd lag on the board, when I was trying to upload photoes
hodges
National Hazard

[*] posted on 28-8-2019 at 15:21

I tried to post a reply to a topic I started here and apparently my IP is also banned.

I figure it might have to do with moving. I posted regularly here years ago, always from the same IP. I have read this board more recently, but never logged in and posted. Perhaps the software thought I was someone else since the location is different.

Anyway, I am going through a proxy and it is working. My user ID and posts are fine. Hopefully my IP will get un-banned soon.
Vomaturge
Hazard to Others

Mood: thermodynamic

shocked.gif posted on 2-9-2019 at 14:45
A Very Serious Bug

This luckily hasn't happened to me yet, but this, or something similar just happened yesterday and today. There was a thread in the EM forum, called picric acid without sulphuric acid, or something similar. Political discussion somehow got involved, and I expected some posts to be sent to detritus. Instead, the whole thread simply disappeared. The EM forum says last post was by Picnic Acid, today, but when I click on his username, it says "no member selected," implying that his account has been deleted. Did this happen by accident?

The closest thing I have seen to this was when the everyday chemistry thread disappeared last year, along with all the member's posts in it. That didn't disappear anyones user accounts, as far as I know.

In the past, inappropriate content would be moved to detritus, and some repeat offenders would get banned from using their accounts, but their posts and usernames would remain visible. Total deletion of accounts+posts was mostly reserved for spambots, not members who already had a history of contributing to chemistry discussion.

If this was done on purpose, then I'll take that into account when participating in threads which have inappropriate posts mixed into them. I'll delete my own posts out of a thread that turns political, rather than having my whole account vaporized for being linked to the thread.

If it can happen on accident, that's more concerning, because then it can happen to anybody, and there's nothing we can do to stop it, barring finding out how it happens and making changes.

I have screenshots of nearly all my posts as a personal record (started after the everyday chemistry thread disappeared) but I can't say the same for the thousands of other posts on SM. Moreover, even my posts are not in a word processor ready form, so I'd have to retype them instead of copying and pasting them.

This whole posts+users disappearing thing feels like an extremely serious problem for any internet forum, but especially one which so often references dead threads and inactive members to give information to current discussions.

[Edited on 2-9-2019 by Vomaturge]

[Edited on 2-9-2019 by Vomaturge]

Go To Top