Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Competitive solubility
cnidocyte
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-1-2011 at 10:10
Competitive solubility

If I have a mixture of 2 salts weighing 6 grams, lets say Salt A has a solubility of 3g/mL while Salt B only has a solubility of 3mg/mL. If I add 3 mL of the solvent would it become completely saturated with Salt A allowing me to filter out Salt B completely or would both salts get dissolved in the solvent, just in a 1000:1 ratio?
spirocycle
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-1-2011 at 10:16

do they share common ions?
cnidocyte
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-1-2011 at 12:07

Yeah in the scenario that inspired me to start this thread they're both Na salts. NaOH and NaNO3 to be exact. I was pondering the idea of extracting the NaOH with methanol since it has a way higher solubility than NaNO3. Its the NaNO3 I'm after though so I'm thinking about recrystallising if I can get rid of a significant amount of the NaOH first.

[Edited on 9-1-2011 by cnidocyte]
spirocycle
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-1-2011 at 12:29

I'm not familiar with the solubility products of the compounds in question, but if you could find them then it should be fairly straitforward to figure it out.

KNaOH=[Na][OH] and [Na]=[OH] so KNaOH=[Na]^2
KNaNO3=[Na][NO3] and [Na]=[NO3] so KNaNO3=[Na]^2

so if sqrt([NaOH]>sqrt(KNaNO3), that is if the concentration of sodium ions from the NaOH exceeds the saturation point of the solubility product of the NaNO3, then theoretically the NaNO3 with crystallize out (or not dissolve in the first place)
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 9-1-2011 at 12:29

What is the ratio of sodium hydroxide to sodium nitrate?
If I had to separate them I would use the fact that sodium hydroxide is very soluble in alcohol while sodium nitrate is only slightly soluble.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_hydroxide
http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9927271
Add a measure of the mixture to methylated spirits, warm and stir, cool and then filter off the sodium nitrate. Wash with some more meths and then dry.
The alcoholic sodium hydroxide could be used as a powerful grease busting drain cleaner! :D
cnidocyte
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-1-2011 at 11:14

Quote: Originally posted by ScienceSquirrel  

Add a measure of the mixture to methylated spirits, warm and stir, cool and then filter off the sodium nitrate. Wash with some more meths and then dry.

Thats pretty much what I did but I used up all my methylated spirits and still was left with a large pile of undissolved solid so I decanted the alcohol and allowed the solid to dry outside. It rained overnight though so the pyrex dish filled with water but even still theres a large pile of undissolved solid. Lost my pH strips so I can't test the pH of this aqueous solution.

[Edited on 11-1-2011 by cnidocyte]
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 11-1-2011 at 12:29

Are you sure that it is only sodium nitrate and sodium hydroxide in there?
They are both very soluble in water.
dann2
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-1-2011 at 12:13

Hello,

The competitive solubility thing, more accurately described as mutual solubility can be read about that this link:
http://www.oxidizing.110mb.com/chlorate/mut_pdf.zip
It is not specific to your solids/liquids though.
Its not a terrible simple matter. What you want for to get things to happen easily if for one solid to be much more soluble that the other one (obviously).
Try googling mutual solubility xxxxxx yyyyyyy

Dann2

Go To Top