Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sodium methoxide from Anhy. methanol Calcium carbide and Anhy.Sodium carbonate
rockyit98
Hazard to Others

Mood: no mood is a good mood

[*] posted on 25-7-2019 at 17:23
Sodium methoxide from Anhy. methanol Calcium carbide and Anhy.Sodium carbonate

I need 5% Sodium methoxide to make Biodiesel.Sodium as such harder to find and CaC2 is much cheaper (1Kg=1$) is it possible

2CH3OH + CaC2 --->Ca(OCH3)2 + C2H2
Ca(OCH3)2 +Na2CO3 ----->CaCO3 +2NaOCH3

Calcium carbide, like all ionic carbides, is a superbase. It is capable of deprotonating not just water but also alcohols, evolving acetylene.
stygian
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-7-2019 at 17:45

'Methoxide' in reference to biodiesel refers to methanolic NaOH, which works well in my experience. I'm not certain carbide works like that in water as I've always heard of it (e.g. lithium acetylide) used in liquid NH3.
rockyit98
Hazard to Others

Mood: no mood is a good mood

[*] posted on 25-7-2019 at 18:24

I knew that, I used it as a example . my idea is to making alkoxide without sodium metal, this include ethoxy isopropoxy ect.
the Procedure for Biodiesel dos work that way NileRed did that(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaWe0Af_0hg ).but i'm gonna use what ChemPlayer did it way faster.(https://www.bitchute.com/video/RPTeIsKXn4IZ/)
stygian
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-7-2019 at 18:32

I won't try and dissuade you, but long ago i made biodiesel in the microwave just using lye+methanol and fresh vegetable oil. Mic for a minute, shake, mic for a minute, shake, mic for a minute, then forget it. Didn't bother with yield% but it worked super well for a few minutes of effort.

Go To Top