Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Platinum price will depend on Tesla and spaceX (basically on elon musk)
rockyit98
Hazard to Others

Mood: no mood is a good mood

cool.gif posted on 29-7-2019 at 10:07
Platinum price will depend on Tesla and spaceX (basically on elon musk)

platinum price is falling because increase recycling and due to reduced industrial demand. Catalytic converter use (45%) for jewelry (34%), chemical production (Perchlorate production, nitric acid) and petroleum refining (9.2%), for electrical applications such as hard disk drives (2.7%) of world production.
Perchlorate production will decrease since space x made reusable liquid-propellant rocket engines space cost less so more cheaper method is used (so no more solid rocket booster) .ironically this increases nitric acid production .since perchlorate can also make using PbO2 platinum demand can go up .
there is competition between fuel cell cars and electric ones ,only fuel cell one use platinum .so much so if all cars we drive used flue cells entire wold reserves are not even closed to fill the demand!

the best part is if all go electric vehicles more than 50% of current production will have no use that leads to platinum price falling. mainly because most platinum is extraction by-product from nickel and copper mining and processing so constant supply ,no demand means price go down.
don't get me started on asteroid mining (spaceX). 'down the price you go.
may be in the future they will use flue cells to make electricity so we can charge our cars.
so thanks elon musk;)
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-7-2019 at 11:31

I agree but I think Space X and other space companies will have basically ZERO influence on the price of platinum. Where we will see a real difference is if diesel trucks are replaced with electric trucks, which would free up MASSIVE cat's that use many car's worth of platinum for one vehicle, and they get replaced more often than personal vehicles.

But we should also look at 3rd world demand for cars and as that increases (for petrol/diesel powered) so will the demand for platinum/palladium. I don't see the demand dropping for some time until the transportation needs of those in the 3rd world have been met. Once "everyone" has transportation met, and new transport is either electric or made with recycled old transport materials, the price of PGM's is going to stay high.

Only once there is a satisfied market and supply fully met, and demand is reliant on recycling, will we see prices fall. Until then, I think prices will stay high.
Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 29-7-2019 at 21:38

Quote: Originally posted by rockyit98  

Perchlorate production will decrease since space x made reusable liquid-propellant rocket engines space cost less so more cheaper method is used (so no more solid rocket booster)

space x is not the only space company on this planet, plus, do you really think most of world perchlorate production was just for rocket boosters?
i don't think space x made even a dent in platinum prices

---------------------------------------------------------------------
feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 31-7-2019 at 09:45

Platinum prices have been in the can for a while.

Bigger deal is the ratio of Pd to Pt in autocatalyst has shifted, the Diesel effect (from these emissions scandals) and the absolutely insane levels of recycling from autocatalyst which is at basically peak levels.

We sell some of our Pt products into the fuel cell industry. I would not be surprised at all if one day fuel cells burning methyl alchohol and using electric motors are what move our ground transport. From what I understand, Pt is the best catalyst to make methanol from CO2/H2O/H2 and the best for the PEM stack.

I guess a typical stack right now uses many tens of grams of platinum. I've had some come in for recovery years that had hundreds of grams of Pt black in them.

[Edited on 31-7-2019 by Fleaker]

Neither flask nor beaker.

"Kid, you don't even know just what you don't know. "
--The Dark Lord Sauron

Go To Top