Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Extract compounds from drinks
Optimum
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-8-2019 at 13:54
Extract compounds from drinks

Hello,

since its possible to extract compounds from OTC medications,
can someone tell me how to extract compounds from drinks?

the specific questions are:
how can i extract electrolytes from energy drinks?
how can i extract minerals from water?

Thanks
Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 4-8-2019 at 16:33

electrolytes are just metal salts, potassium, sodium, calcium, magnesium.

water has the same salts/minerals, energy drinks are just more concentrated.
i can't see why you should extract minerals from water (soft water), maybe it's just an experiment, if you want to do it just boil some water to dryness, the residue is mostly calcium and magnesium carbonate.
from energy drinks you should precipitate the metal ions as insoluble salts, calcium and magnesium could be precipitated as oxalates, it is anyway a pain to deal with all the sruff in drinks (sugar, colourings, flavourings etc).
if you are after the salts to use them somehow, you are better finding a cheaper and easier source, magnesium and calcium salts are pretty easy to acquire

---------------------------------------------------------------------
feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make
draculic acid69
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-8-2019 at 18:18

It's actually a hell of a lot easier to extract a medication from tablets than it is to extract water soluble salts from a water solution in fact with all the sugar and flavouring and additives and preservatives in larger amounts I'd say it's closer to nearly impossible to do.plus the price of drinks make this the worst possible starting point just to get 100mg of what is basically salt.if you go on eBay you can just buy these things for a fraction of the price
draculic acid69
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-8-2019 at 20:27

Basically you could grind up seashells and dissolve in HCL then filter, evaporate and recrystallize the remaining salts and mix it with low sodium table salt which is 50% kcl.that would give a calcium, magnesium potassium sodium salt mix which is basically the electrolytes in the drinks.
Optimum
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-8-2019 at 13:13

should i try to get those compounds from somewhere like the supplier list?
which ones are the best suppliers and why?

or should i try to get those compounds from OTC medication or other place like for example those seashells you mentioned? its possible to extract from sea water too? how?

which are the simple methods to extract this compounds?
after getting these compounds how they should be taken?
mix them on water or capsule pill?

what is the best place to buy those capsules?

Thank you
Ubya
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-8-2019 at 16:56

if you want to take some electrolytes, just buy a gatorade, or better, just drink lots of normal water (not RO water).
the salts you are after are pretty common, you can buy them pretty much everywhere online or in a pharmacy OTC.

Herr Haber
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-8-2019 at 02:16

Just look what's in the water you like and get the chemicals.

I know I dont like Mg rich water for example.

The spirit of adventure was upon me. Having nitric acid and copper, I had only to learn what the words 'act upon' meant. - Ira Remsen
Optimum
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-8-2019 at 15:46

what about the solution itself to take?

should i mix these chemicals together so they act with the so called synergy?
some people prepare this solution using basic methods, which methods are better to prepare the solution?
any easy way to prepare the solution using some cooking device or some basic lab tool?

Thank you

[Edited on 6-8-2019 by Optimum]
draculic acid69
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-8-2019 at 21:10

You can probably just buy a high magnesium calcium vitamin and mineral supplement from the supermarket for a couple of dollars.any multivitamin will have enough of a boost in these minerals or just drink the gatorade.or search eBay for magnesium or calcium citrate.

[Edited on 7-8-2019 by draculic acid69]
teodor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-8-2019 at 03:39

Quote: Originally posted by draculic acid69  
Basically you could grind up seashells and dissolve in HCL then filter, evaporate and recrystallize the remaining salts.

It could be really an interesting experiment. To compare the cation mix in seashells with those in sea water. If these animals are not selective I can study the sea water composition without evaporating liters and liters of water.
Ubya
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-8-2019 at 07:49

Quote: Originally posted by teodor  
If these animals are not selective I can study the sea water composition without evaporating liters and liters of water.

well that is dumb, sorry but what's the prevalent cation in sea water? sodium, seashells are mostly calcium carbonate. you could study the isotopic ratio of calcium in seashells vs sea water to find out that living creatures accumulate the lighter isotopes, but no you can't compare cations in seashells and in seawater directly

SWIM
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-8-2019 at 11:52

So somebody wants to extract minerals from sports drinks in order to dissolve them in water to make sports drinks.

The OP apparently has no knowledge of chemistry or chemical procedures whatsoever.

The OP cannot or will not communicate their intentions in any meaningful way.

The OP makes only scattered spoon feeding requests.

This is a sub-optimal thread...

teodor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 9-8-2019 at 02:46

Quote: Originally posted by Ubya  
Quote: Originally posted by teodor  
If these animals are not selective I can study the sea water composition without evaporating liters and liters of water.

well that is dumb, sorry but what's the prevalent cation in sea water? sodium, seashells are mostly calcium carbonate. you could study the isotopic ratio of calcium in seashells vs sea water to find out that living creatures accumulate the lighter isotopes, but no you can't compare cations in seashells and in seawater directly

Of course sodium is soluble and couldn't be accumulated in a shell. The next is Mg, according to http://www.seafriends.org.nz/oceano/seawater.htm and seashells are mostly Ca, so, you are right, they are definitely selective. What is more interesting - other metals, like Fe. Different seashells have different color probably also because they accumulate different cations. And probably they accumulate some cations if the water contains them more than others, so could be not selective on some groups of periodic table, just getting them from the water in some ratio (like accumulating Zn or As based on their concentration in the water). Probably there are studies about it. Anyway, I wrote that because I think studying of seawater is as interesting as studying of drinks and seashells composition is definitely one of the ways and a good idea.

[Edited on 9-8-2019 by teodor]

[Edited on 9-8-2019 by teodor]
Optimum
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-8-2019 at 16:06

You can probably just buy a high magnesium calcium vitamin and mineral supplement from the supermarket for a couple of dollars.any multivitamin will have enough of a boost in these minerals or just drink the gatorade.or search eBay for magnesium or calcium citrate.

[Edited on 7-8-2019 by draculic acid69]

can i buy these supplements from supplier list instead of supermarket?
which supplier recommend?

which form is ideal for this suplements? chloride? so that i can mix then with water?

Thank you
Sturge11
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-9-2019 at 23:12

After your last post I'm interested as if you are trying to recreate hydration drinks or create various supplements from extracting them from energy drinks. Fortunes are made by purchasing the supplements separate and then manufacturing and marketing these energy drinks. A wise man would follow this instead of trying to reverse this process if you were aiming to do something of the sort.
Optimum
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-11-2019 at 16:55

Quote: Originally posted by Ubya  
electrolytes are just metal salts, potassium, sodium, calcium, magnesium.water has the same salts/minerals, energy drinks are just more concentrated.i can't see why you should extract minerals from water (soft water), maybe it's just an experiment, if you want to do it just boil some water to dryness, the residue is mostly calcium and magnesium carbonate.from energy drinks you should precipitate the metal ions as insoluble salts, calcium and magnesium could be precipitated as oxalates, it is anyway a pain to deal with all the sruff in drinks (sugar, colourings, flavourings etc).if you are after the salts to use them somehow, you are better finding a cheaper and easier source, magnesium and calcium salts are pretty easy to acquire
this experiment you refer too vague..
after boil the water to dryness and get residue left, is it possible to filter the water to obtain only the salts?any other simple way?
which sources are the best to acquire this?

It's actually a hell of a lot easier to extract a medication from tablets than it is to extract water soluble salts from a water solution in fact with all the sugar and flavouring and additives and preservatives in larger amounts I'd say it's closer to nearly impossible to do.plus the price of drinks make this the worst possible starting point just to get 100mg of what is basically salt.if you go on eBay you can just buy these things for a fraction of the price

you mean, OTC extraction? which medication tables contain it?
what would be the extraction method?

Thank you

[Edited on 26-11-2019 by Optimum]
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 25-11-2019 at 17:03

Quote: Originally posted by Optimum  
which medication tables contain it?
what would be the extraction method?

Which "it" are you referring to.

Unless you have a clear idea of what you are trying to accomplish, no one can really help you much. It is time to (a) do some reading of yoru own and (b) come up with a plan. Then we can (c) answer your specific questions. (such as how to separate ionic substances from sugars in a solution such as Gatorade.)
Herr Haber
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-11-2019 at 04:03

after boil the water to dryness and get residue left, is it possible to filter the water to obtain only the salts?any other simple way?

Vague ? You got nerves... Unfortunately they're not connected...

What you are planning to do is definitely too vague that's for sure. No one understands what you are trying to accomplish here so saying that others are too vague is...

That said, please explain how you plan to filter water (that just evaporated) to get the minerals.
The minerals are in the flask. It's the white thingie left at the bottom when there's no more water. The same thing I suppose you clean every week from your bathtub, shower and kitchen sink. Maybe you can scrape some from there.

What I recommend for you is to find an electric kettle and dislodge all the sediments from it.
You now have your minerals.

Or you could just search google for electrolyte tablets.

As for extracting compounds from OTC medication we wont be able to help you extract whatever they put these days in cough syrup.

[Edited on 26-11-2019 by Herr Haber]

Edit by mod: format fix.

[Edited on 27-11-2019 by j_sum1]

The spirit of adventure was upon me. Having nitric acid and copper, I had only to learn what the words 'act upon' meant. - Ira Remsen
Ubya
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-11-2019 at 06:27

Now that i'm online, Herr Haber already said it.
"this experiment you refer too vague..
which sources are the best to acquire this?"

boiling the water to dryness=you boil the water until there isn't any left, your pot is DRY, the white powder at the bottom of the flask/pot is your carbonates/sulphates. very hard water has >180mg/L of calcium carbonate, to get maybe a gram you woukd need to boil at least 5L of water, really energy intensive.
you are better walk down tge street and test any rock you see with an acid, if it fizzes you got carbonates.

G-Coupled
Hazard to Others

Mood: Slightly triturated

[*] posted on 26-11-2019 at 08:55

Look, Optimum - I think it might be easier on everyone if you just told us what exactly you're trying to do. Not 'experimentally' as you appear to have little to no knowledge of the sciences, but just practicality - what are you trying to achieve here?

sodium_stearate
Hazard to Others

Mood: No mask.

[*] posted on 27-11-2019 at 06:06

Take the drink or water or whatever, and boil
off the water. The solid gunk that stays behind
after all the water is gone is the stuff that was previously
dissolved in it.

That's exactly what a steam locomotive boiler
does on a massive scale. (that's a little pun there)

"Opportunity is missed by most people
because it is dressed in overalls and it
looks like work" T.A. Edison
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-11-2019 at 07:41

In general, the point of drinks it to be mainly water.
With a few exceptions- caffeine from tea, for example, it's not going to be very worthwhile extracting anything but water from drinks.

BTW, does anyone know what happened to the forum formatting?

[Edited on 27-11-19 by unionised]
Ubya
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-11-2019 at 12:18

Quote: Originally posted by unionised  
In general, the point of drinks it to be mainly water.
With a few exceptions- caffeine from tea, for example, it's not going to be very worthwhile extracting anything but water from drinks.

BTW, does anyone know what happened to the forum formatting?

[Edited on 27-11-19 by unionised]

i noticed, but only this page appears to be fucked up

j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 27-11-2019 at 13:10

One teeny square bracket missing. Fixed now.
Sorry, I can't fix the problems with the original question.
Optimum
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-12-2019 at 21:39

Quote: Originally posted by Herr Haber  

Vague ? You got nerves... Unfortunately they're not connected...

What you are planning to do is definitely too vague that's for sure. No one understands what you are trying to accomplish here so saying that others are too vague is...

That said, please explain how you plan to filter water (that just evaporated) to get the minerals.
The minerals are in the flask. It's the white thingie left at the bottom when there's no more water. The same thing I suppose you clean every week from your bathtub, shower and kitchen sink. Maybe you can scrape some from there.

What I recommend for you is to find an electric kettle and dislodge all the sediments from it.
You now have your minerals.

Or you could just search google for electrolyte tablets.

As for extracting compounds from OTC medication we wont be able to help you extract whatever they put these days in cough syrup.

[Edited on 26-11-2019 by Herr Haber]

Edit by mod: format fix.

[Edited on 27-11-2019 by j_sum1]

which electric kettle are the best for this task?

any other way to get the minerals, the "white thingie" left at the bottom besides boiling the water? any other simple extraction method?

there is any OTC medication that contain electrolytes besides electrolyte tablets?

Thanks
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top