Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Remove KCl from Klor-Con M20 ER Tabs 20meq
duckypaul
Harmless

cool.gif posted on 19-8-2019 at 21:57
Remove KCl from Klor-Con M20 ER Tabs 20meq

I am trying to save a little money and instead of buying a bunch of KCl, I have a bunch of KCl pills I dont use anymore and wanted to know what would be the best solvent to remove the inactive cellulose filler. Here is the breakdown of the tablets

Active Ingredient
POTASSIUM CHLORIDE 1500 mg (UNII: 660YQ98I10) (POTASSIUM CATION - UNII:295O53K152)

Inactive Ingredients
CROSCARMELLOSE SODIUM (UNII: M28OL1HH48)
ETHYLCELLUSLOSES (UNII: 7Z8S9VYZ4B
CELLULOSE, MICROCRYSTALLINE (UNII: OP1R32D61U)

Total weight of Tablet is 2000 mg

KCl is water soluble but the Croscarmellose Sodium slows the water solubility down making it sponge like. I might can filter out the cellulose but not certain as to how effective it would be and what temperature would work best.

I am doing this for two reasons one to see if it can be easily and two because I need KCl to mix with NaNO3 to make KNO3
I want to show my son the fun and love of Chemistry. Let me know what your thoughts are.
fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-8-2019 at 23:29

Burn the pills to destroy all organics?

Steam
Hazard to Others

Mood: Triple Point

[*] posted on 20-8-2019 at 15:29

Cellulose compounds are quite annoying to work with. +1 on the pyro approach. You could try to place in a covered crucible and heat with a propane torch to test. Honestly though I would just go to the local store and buy some salt substitute. However there is nothing wrong with practicing procedures on free inventory. Perhaps you could try dissolving the organic away wit methanol and/or acetone but unless you try to recover the solvent you probably will end up loosing money. However you picked the wrong hobby if you are in it to save money. ;)

DISCLAIMER: The information in this post is provided for general informational purposes only and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. No information contained in this post should be construed as legal advice from the individual author, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in, or accessible through, this post without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the recipient’s state, country or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.

Go To Top