Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Thiocyanate turned red
TmNhRhMgBrSe
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-8-2019 at 04:58
Thiocyanate turned red

I made some new calcium nitrate solution but its slightly yellow. I added some of it to sodium thiocyanate solution. The solution turned deep red so I think it has some iron. Is iron the only thing that can make thiocyanate turn red?

sorry for bad english
teodor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-8-2019 at 05:45

Not sure whether iron is the only thing to develop red color in the thiocyanate test but pretty sure that any not chemically pure sample of calcium salt contains a lot of iron. I would try to remove the iron (see "Inorganic Preparations" Henderson/Fernelius, excercise 3) and repeat the test. Also it is possible to remove iron by making complex with citric acid, once I made purification of Ca(OH)2 with this method but it requires quite a big amount of the acid.

[Edited on 22-8-2019 by teodor]
unionised
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-8-2019 at 10:19

Iron probably isn't the only thing that makes thiocyanate turn red.
But it is the thing that is the 4th commonest element in the Earth's crust.

Rhodanide
Hazard to Others

Mood: That retro aesthetic

[*] posted on 28-8-2019 at 12:42

I think I know what's happening. You say you "made" Ca(NO3)2 solution? And I'm assuming you used a Ca salt and HNO3? The red color would make sense then, because at low concentrations KSCN reacts with most mineral acids (HNO3 included) to form the deep red Perthiocyanic acid. With concentrated HNO3, KSCN reacts violently to form orange, insoluble Perthiocyanogen/Polythiocyanogen and readily expels LOTS of NO2. KSCN also can react with other acids such as HCl or H2SO4 to form Perthiocyanic acid, which again is a cherry red color. Let me know if I'm close to correct about how you made that solution. :]

Here's a photo from a while back in which I tried making solid Perthiocyanic acid from KSCN + H2SO4. The chunks floating around are snow to cool the reaction mixture.

ptca.jpg - 129kB

Bedlasky
International Hazard

Mood: Volatile

[*] posted on 29-8-2019 at 12:29

Only one interesting thing.

Quote: Originally posted by CELamCheng  
Is iron the only thing that can make thiocyanate turn red?

I recently made Mo(V)-isothiocyanate complex which is dark red too.

[Edited on 29-8-2019 by Bedlasky]

Mo(V)-NCS komplex (2).jpg - 1.6MB
TmNhRhMgBrSe
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-9-2019 at 07:06

Quote: Originally posted by Rhodanide  
I think I know what's happening. You say you "made" Ca(NO3)2 solution? And I'm assuming you used a Ca salt and HNO3? The red color would make sense then, because at low concentrations KSCN reacts with most mineral acids (HNO3 included) to form the deep red Perthiocyanic acid. With concentrated HNO3, KSCN reacts violently to form orange, insoluble Perthiocyanogen/Polythiocyanogen and readily expels LOTS of NO2. KSCN also can react with other acids such as HCl or H2SO4 to form Perthiocyanic acid, which again is a cherry red color. Let me know if I'm close to correct about how you made that solution. :]

Here's a photo from a while back in which I tried making solid Perthiocyanic acid from KSCN + H2SO4. The chunks floating around are snow to cool the reaction mixture.

I made Ca(NO3)2 from CaCO3 and excess HNO3. I neutralised remaining HNO3 with NaOH until some white precipitate form. I filtered to remove the precipitate.

sorry for bad english

Go To Top