Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Hydrogen Peroxide from water micro droplets
Gearhead_Shem_Tov
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-8-2019 at 19:54
Hydrogen Peroxide from water micro droplets

https://phys.org/news/2019-08-chemists-microdroplets-spontan...
icelake
Harmless

[*] posted on 28-8-2019 at 06:30

Thank you for sharing this.

Attachment: 1911883116.full.pdf (1.1MB)
This file has been downloaded 297 times
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

[*] posted on 29-8-2019 at 07:14

I am not too surprised, as it has been known via photolysis:

OH- + hv --> .OH + e-

So, more generally, the apparent application of forms of energy, created in the microdroplets, to OH- apparently acts similarly to the scheme noted in Figure 5.

Perhaps one could view the source of energy, with regard to microdroplets in air, as being related to electrokinetic effects reported for nano-particles in aqueous suspensions. The cited paper does cites the presence of a strong electric field at the air-water interface as the proposed cause.

[Edited on 29-8-2019 by AJKOER]
teodor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-8-2019 at 07:17

Does it mean we can start research of how to convert NH4OH to NH4NO3 with the similar method ? :)

[Edited on 29-8-2019 by teodor]
Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 3-9-2019 at 00:35

the devil is in the detail, when stuff gets really small things get silly. nanomaterials have different properties
i wonder if blowing air at high pressure into other water could be used to generate H2O2 as it would cause the molecules to shred apart? did they ever mention anything about specific concentrations or yields? speaking of nitrate, this could really be used well in conjunction with urea to feed the bacteria oxygen to produce fertilizer. one guy i spoke to said instead of using hay as substrate to bring in oxygen he thought about bubbling air through piss, i suggested using aquarium pump to drop it through air to collect oxygen
i think microdroplets regardless could find use in this process, i wonder if we could cause more interesting glitches in liquids by dissolving catalysts and then turning them into microdroplets?

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html
teodor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-9-2019 at 01:22

If I properly got the idea, making microdroplets are a kind of energy like heating or mixing of reaction mixture but the energy in this form can cause different effect.
wg48temp9
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-9-2019 at 02:05

A snip from the paper: "The generated H2O2 concentration was ∼30 μM (∼1 part per million)"

and "We suggest that this discovery opens various innovative opportunities including green and inexpensive production of hydrogen peroxide, green
chemical synthesis, safe cleaning, and food processing."

Yes its an interesting and curious effect and presumably the useful byproduct is hydrogen but its going to need some major improvements (~ 100,000 times) in yield before its a production method.

[Edited on 9/3/2019 by wg48temp9]

I am wg48 but not on my usual pc hence the temp handle.
Thank goodness for Fleming and the fungi.
Old codger' lives matters, wear a mask and help save them.
Be aware of demagoguery, keep your frontal lobes fully engaged.
I don't know who invented mRNA vaccines but they should get a fancy medal and I hope they made a shed load of money from it.
Swinfi2
Hazard to Others

Mood: Catalytic

[*] posted on 3-9-2019 at 17:00

I assume from the info in the paper the reaction rate would be tied to the surface area of the droplets as they were discussing the electric potential at the surface as a potential cause.

So my first guess would be to pull glass capillary as thin as possible and make maybe 100. Then test each one and repull the worst 90% until you reach a consistent state and put it in a sealed chamber.
Unfortunately the paper also mentioned extreme purity of the water so there's also that difficulty.
Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 4-9-2019 at 02:16

just install a shitload of nozzles, crank it up to higher speed, science it with maybe particle shape, keep in mind you should be able to use the same liquid over and over
they also found similar properties with other liquids, i didnt get around finding what however, but whats also really cool about this is that this should be doable at home. this is pretty big, microdroplets is a big thing

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html
wg48temp9
National Hazard

[*] posted on 4-9-2019 at 02:33

Quote: Originally posted by Antiswat  
just install a shitload of nozzles, crank it up to higher speed, science it with maybe particle shape, keep in mind you should be able to use the same liquid over and over
they also found similar properties with other liquids, i didnt get around finding what however, but whats also really cool about this is that this should be doable at home. this is pretty big, microdroplets is a big thing

How are you going to detect ∼1 part per million of H2O2 ???

I am wg48 but not on my usual pc hence the temp handle.
Thank goodness for Fleming and the fungi.
Old codger' lives matters, wear a mask and help save them.
Be aware of demagoguery, keep your frontal lobes fully engaged.
I don't know who invented mRNA vaccines but they should get a fancy medal and I hope they made a shed load of money from it.
Morgan
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-9-2019 at 05:13

"The researchers ruled out a number of possible explanations before arriving at what they argue is the most likely explanation for hydrogen peroxide's presence. They suggest that a strong electric field near the surface of water microdroplets in air triggers hydroxyl molecules to bind into hydrogen peroxide."

I wonder if something similar to a Lord Kelvin water dropper in conjuction with the microparticle spray would enhance the production?

Go To Top