Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: What the Hell Happened to the Picric Acid Thread?
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 2-9-2019 at 16:20
What the Hell Happened to the Picric Acid Thread?

So...where'd it go guys?

And exactly whose über 'delicate sensitivities' were 'irretrievably hurt' by my heinous habit of calling a fucking spade a spade?

Or should we 'putative amateur chemists' now act like a giggling, gaggle of prepubescent girls discussing the latest nail-colours just in case the more 'precious souls' among us might get their diaphanous, lacy panties in a gordian knot and feel the need to head straight for the fucking fainting couch?

Because there I was thinking this forum was populated by mostly adult men and women with puberty well behind them???

Either fucking way, if such arrant, half-assed stupidity is going to be the order of the day just because some moderators are doing stuff they're singularly unsuited for, then I'm fucking outta here for good!!!

Vomaturge
Hazard to Others

Mood: thermodynamic

[*] posted on 2-9-2019 at 16:45

Not only did the whole thread disappear into thin air, but so did picnic acid's account! I put a post about it in forum matters, under the thread "my IP keeps getting banned and my username deleted." Also, I gave a U2U to jsum, the only mod that's been on here since the discussion disappeared, just in case he knows more about it. I doubt he deleted it; we've had discussions peppered with angry politics before, and even trolls like PHDchemist making written threats. Usually, the bad part goes to detritus and the "clean" part stays, assuming its there. Seriously, I think this is more a glitch or accident, then som kind of new moderator policy.

Glad I'm not the only one to notice.

[Edited on 3-9-2019 by Vomaturge]
Rosco Bodine
Banned

Mood: analytical

[*] posted on 2-9-2019 at 17:12

Controlling The Narrative done by the Ministry of Truth

is a necessary prophylaxis and truth countermeasure to ensure and preserve a
socially acceptable "safe space" devoid of any group think utopian malcontents.

That sanctuary is a virtual reality / no free speech / thought crime free zone.

It is doubleplusgood for snowflakes who cannot endure their delicate sensibilities
being "offended" by unvarnished politically incorrect fact based truth.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 2-9-2019 at 17:23

I saw the thread late last night: someone reported it and I could see that it was getting a bit testy.
I figured that a thread split was probably in order with the offending fraction heading off to detritus. But I did not have the time or functioning brain cells to wade through it at that stage.
When I woke this morning, it was gone. My assumption was that another mod had acted and found little to redeem the thread. Or alternatively had merged the appropriate bits to the make H2SO4 thread. I did not notice that Picnic Acid had gone. I really don't know what has happened. It wouldn't be the first glitch like this to happen.

I do wish I had the tools to fix this kind of thing but many things on this old software are irreversible. I do hope that Picnic is not offended and that he returns to join the fun.

On a tangentially-related note, do play nice in the threads. No one minds forcefully posited opinions. Even better are statements backed up by evidence and reasoning. But anything demeaning or attacks against the person are counterproductive. It is also helpful when a thread stays on topic and we have a board policy to steer away from political matters.

On the question of moderator practice, the protocol is that nothing gets deleted -- with the exception of spam and trolling. That is why the Detritus forum exists.

j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 2-9-2019 at 17:33

Quote: Originally posted by Rosco Bodine  

It is doubleplusgood for snowflakes who cannot endure their delicate sensibilities

Rosco, did you just put a page of the New York Times into the blender? I can't tell what the hell you are saying.

In any case, no moderator malice or conspiracy here. The only accounts I have disabled recently were from a troll attempting to blanket the board with transgender propaganda and dangerous procedures for self-administered castration.

Vomaturge
Hazard to Others

Mood: thermodynamic

[*] posted on 2-9-2019 at 17:37

I made a similar reference in the thread at Forum Matters, about member picnic acid's account and posts being "vaporised and forgotten 1984 style" but removed that part after realizing we don't yet have proof that this is new moderator policy, and if it isn't, we need the mods' help to fix it.

My reason for doubting it's intentional is because the original poster whose whole account disappeared was barely involved in the "controversial" parts of the topic. I see no reason why jsum_1 or anyone else would have targeted him specifically.

My bet's* are on either some accident or software malfunction, or possibly a member doing something screwy with the spam deletion code, and targeting picnic because his newer account would be easier to delete.

*Now, ask me how much money I'm betting.

Edit: just saw j_sum1's posts. Glad to know we don't have a new policy like that. VERY worried that accounts are disappearing, whyever it happens.

new edit: I think it might make sense to turn off all the spam scripts, let the forum overflow with spam and save the old content (i.e.everything posted prior to today) for addition once we transition to better software, even if that's in several years. It might be better for everybody to be unable to post, than have glitches which randomly delete the content which we have accrued since 2002.

Man, I wish Polverone could be here to make the switch. I know he's probably got plenty of important real life stuff to do, and I know I'd be missing basically all the time if I were a mod

j_sum1
Administrator
Thread Moved
2-9-2019 at 17:39
Rosco Bodine
Banned

[*] posted on 2-9-2019 at 19:45

Quote:
Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  

Rosco, did you just put a page of the New York Times into the blender? I can't tell what the hell you are saying.

Oh no, NOT that Big Apple edition TASS / Pravda propaganda rag.
That brainwashing red commie / dhimmicrat rag is Fake News.

Commies are everywhere, there is probably one under my bed.

But no worries when the greatest patriotic American president and greatest world leader ever is on the job.

The U.S. isn't going to become another stinking commie Cuba or Venezuela.

Quote:

In any case, no moderator malice or conspiracy here. The only accounts I have disabled recently were from a troll attempting to blanket the board with transgender propaganda and dangerous procedures for self-administered castration.

Great to hear it there are no "thought criminals" due to be exiled for conveying "wrongheaded" ideas that aren't global warming alarmist group-think compliant. If karma is a bitch was she a natural born anatomically correct bitch or is she a transgender phony female knockoff bitch? Inquiring minds want to know.

It is a loss to "disappear" years long good reference contributors like franklyn because many of his prescient intellectual analyses, opinions, and predictions run counter to a preferred different sort of narrative. It worried me that franklyn was banned from posting but then it was denied he was banned.
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 2-9-2019 at 20:00

It is a loss to "disappear" years long good reference contributors like franklyn because many of his prescient intellectual analyses, opinions, and predictions run counter to a preferred different sort of narrative. It worried me that franklyn was banned from posting but then it was denied he was banned.

Give it a rest already, Rosco. I know you are a strong advocate for franklyn. But he is absent from here of his own volition. No ban is in place. He was never kicked off.

3-09-2019 1-54-39 PM.png - 12kB
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 2-9-2019 at 20:17

Quote: Originally posted by Vomaturge  

Edit: just saw j_sum1's posts. Glad to know we don't have a new policy like that. VERY worried that accounts are disappearing, whyever it happens.

new edit: I think it might make sense to turn off all the spam scripts, let the forum overflow with spam and save the old content (i.e.everything posted prior to today) for addition once we transition to better software, even if that's in several years. It might be better for everybody to be unable to post, than have glitches which randomly delete the content which we have accrued since 2002.

Man, I wish Polverone could be here to make the switch. I know he's probably got plenty of important real life stuff to do, and I know I'd be missing basically all the time if I were a mod

I tried to reply to your U2U a couple of times, Vomaturge. System would not let me. So, bugs are not limited to just one area.
For the record, Melgar's script has not been running for a long time. The majority of spam accounts are blocked before anything even gets posted. I am not sure if there are any other scripts running at all. Spam levels are actually quite low.

I would love for Polverone to be more active or to pass the baton onto someone else who could organise the migration to a new platform. I would even front up some money to make it possible as would many other members I am sure. I would love to know the back-story as to why he has been unable to be around. I only hope that he is ok.

In the meantime we just have to work with what we have got. If we had to do a switch without Polverone we would lose a batch of posts since the last backup as well as all U2Us and all login info. Currently active members could recreate their passwords but we would lose all historical members or else leave a backdoor of thousands of old accounts for spammers to exploit. It just isn't an option.

Rosco Bodine
Banned

[*] posted on 2-9-2019 at 20:37

Give it a rest already, Rosco. I know you are a strong advocate for franklyn. But he is absent from here of his own volition. No ban is in place. He was never kicked off.

I think I should invite franklyn to loan me his login password so I can do a test post and confirm this....you know a sort of trust but verify kind of thing. I'll know by the reply what is true. Analysis is something I do understand very well, even "systems analysis", so little things like this are very easy for me to evaluate and make a conclusive determination who is feeding me a load of bullshit.
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 2-9-2019 at 20:55

No sock-puppetry or password indiscretions required.
If you have contact with franklyn, simply ask him if he can log in. If he does not want to try then that is his business.

Rosco Bodine
Banned

[*] posted on 2-9-2019 at 21:06

No sock-puppetry involved ....just a simple test. The issue is not whether or not a login is possible because it is already known that a login alone does not allow posting outside of U2U. Been there, done that. I already know that franklyn can login, and that being able to login was NEVER the issue, but posting was, because I have experienced that also.

The circles you are talking around the issue already gives me a good idea who is credible.
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 2-9-2019 at 21:16

<rolleyes>
If he can log on, great. The settings indicate that he has posting privileges and U2U privileges. If He wants to exercise these, great. There is nothing prohibiting him from doing so.
If You want to post using his account then that would be a security breach. That is not something we can endorse and he should not be handing out his passwords.

There is no talking in circles here.
It would be dumb to be posting from his account when he himself does not want to. That would be an invitation for a mod to lock his account.

End of discussion on franklyn in this thread. This is already way off topic.

teodor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-9-2019 at 23:00

Men, I really don't understand what are you talking about , who is Franklyn and why this is important for the Picric acid thread. Not sure I can know all the traditions (I can't) but just want to say that there is a thread already on this forum about Picric Acid without sulphuric acid created few years earlier, so at least those people who enter the forum to read about the topic and don't see the new thread now can still get the info there. Even my passage about candy from salt was already here, somebody said it. Well, sorry for interruption.
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 2-9-2019 at 23:25

@teodor
franklyn was a long-standing member and Rosco's friend.
At one point he became upset (apparently) with what was happening here and left.

This thread was started because overnight a thread (that had started to become derailed by political barbs) was deleted along with one of the major contributors to that thread. The suggestion was made that the mods were unfairly targeting someone and were censuring things they did not agree with.

I have dropped in to bring whatever clarification I can to the case of the missing thread and member. franklyn is a side-issue.

So, no traditions. Just history.

hissingnoise
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-9-2019 at 00:54

So OK, it just kinda looked suspicious that when things got a bit exothermic the entire thread deflagrated like HMTD with not a single molecule of residue to be seen?

When can we see the thread back on the board, guys?

hissingnoise
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-9-2019 at 01:24

Unfortunately, I may have cut back on the merriment for a few days because I have other shit to do, like catching up on an ongoing fairly difficult hobby, kind of a mixture of science, art and arm-chancing, (just 'cos I'm 71 doesn't mean I have to sit around twiddling my thumbs allday?) the conduct of which is still frowned upon in many quarters...

Equatorial sativas, though notoriously difficult to grow to full maturity, are well worth the bit of effort and perseverance required.

And there's all kinds of great strains hidden in Old Timer's Haze ─ Acapulco Gold, Colombian Black, Cypress Thai and many other greats.

Couch-lock Skunk is too easy, is pure shit and stinks to 'high fucking heaven'!

[Edited on 3-9-2019 by hissingnoise]
Herr Haber
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-9-2019 at 03:36

This 30+ page thread was full of interesting information and ideas.
Retrieving it is not optional in my opinion.

The spirit of adventure was upon me. Having nitric acid and copper, I had only to learn what the words 'act upon' meant. - Ira Remsen
hissingnoise
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-9-2019 at 03:47

Yeah, and it'll be interesting to see if they 'chicken out' by deleting the more, er, rambunctious asides...?

j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 3-9-2019 at 03:59

What are you guys on about? Just how do you suppose I or any of the other active mods resurrect a deleted thread?
I have no access to any tools or features that can do that.

A few more constructive comments and suggestions would accomplish a lot more than this pile-on of whingeing. This is all ridiculous

hissingnoise
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-9-2019 at 05:20

pile-on of whingeing.

"Whingeing"?

Strewth ─ you're calling what we're saying whingeing???

You'd be far better at your, er, 'job' if you'd just fucking do it!!!

[Edited on 3-9-2019 by hissingnoise]
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-9-2019 at 06:05

are there not daily or at LEAST weekly backups of the forum? If there are not, this board is being SEVERLY mishandled and a new admin needs to take over - or a migration (of members) to a platform where the admin's care about the work/content that is created by the members.

[Edited on 9-3-2019 by RogueRose]
hissingnoise
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-9-2019 at 06:26

Quote: Originally posted by RogueRose  
If there are not, this board is being SEVERLY mishandled and a new admin needs to take over

I second, and third that, RR ─ and while we're at it, this jerk's spam-control "efforts" are just beyond laughable!

Pretending to be constantly online when he's obviously not while the shit piles up to the fucking rafters is a fucking disgrace ─ I'm here now 17 years and I've never seen the place in such a shambles as it has been lately...

j, if you're not up to the 'job', and you clearly aren't, then let someone with the little bit of required expertise you singularly lack take over!!!

hissingnoise
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-9-2019 at 07:52

And I see that picnic acid is MIA still, just because some asshole was off their head on booze, or, more likely, off their fucking meds!!!

The whole thing just keeps getting worse!

Picnic Acid 2
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-9-2019 at 08:32

Picnic Acid here. I remember trying to go onto here yesterday, however it came up with a 403 forbidden error. I was hoping it was just a bug with the server, and came back today, and I'm still Forbidden. Speaking to a friend on discord, and they suggested to try a VPN. And here I am...

Now, I came back to find all of this, and I'm like "Oh my god what did I do.".

Reading what j_sum said, it sounded like a mistake or error. My old acc is still gone and reduced to atoms, so I have created a new one.

Now, whatever happens, lets hope this one dosen't get removed. If it does, at least we no someone is targeting me. To be honest, this is the first time I have ever been banned, and I can't believe all the mess it has created. Thanks for missing me :)

Lets hope my threads stay scientific rather than political in the future. XD
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top