Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: What the Hell Happened to the Picric Acid Thread?
zwt2
Harmless

Mood: CHoCoLaTe

[*] posted on 3-9-2019 at 08:48

"Whingeing" is an accurate characterization.
j_sum1 is doing a thankless task in a voluntary capacity. He is not "the" site admin, he's the only one left of many admins and mods who either got bored or tired of the abuse and effectively quit.
You should really be complaining to Melgar, Bert, Texium, gdflp, woelen, & The_Davster, who've all been active in the past several months but haven't really been using their mod and admin powers and certainly haven't been communicating with the rest of the community.
The disappearing threads and account issues seem to be a byproduct of the antiquated forum software, and have nothing to do with j_sum1. A more cynical view would suggest that this is an intended functionality designed to force users to migrate over to new forum software, which seems to be Melgar's preferred solution; the scripts were a band-aid on a broken leg.
Site backups were always handled by Polverone, before his mysterious disappearance; you should ask him why they weren't being done more frequently.
These things are NOT j_sum1's fault. Don't chase away one of our only active admins just because you don't understand what's going on.

Also, good to see Picnic Acid found his way back.

[Edited on 3-9-2019 by zwt2]

"Since you belong to the small number of wise men... tell me, how do you occupy yourselves?"
Picnic Acid 2
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-9-2019 at 09:10

Quote: Originally posted by zwt2  
j_sum1 is doing a thankless task in a voluntary capacity. He is not "the" site admin, he's the only one left of many admins and mods who either got bored or tired of the abuse and effectively quit.
You should really be complaining to Melgar, Bert, Texium, gdflp, woelen, & The_Davster, who've all been active in the past several months but haven't really been using their mod and admin powers and certainly haven't been communicating with the rest of the community.
The disappearing threads and account issues seem to be a byproduct of the antiquated forum software, and have nothing to do with j_sum1. A more cynical view would suggest that this is an intended functionality designed to force users to migrate over to new forum software, which seems to be Melgar's preferred solution; the scripts were a band-aid on a broken leg.
Site backups were always handled by Polverone, before his mysterious disappearance; you should ask him why they weren't being done more frequently.
These things are NOT j_sum1's fault. Don't chase away one of our only active admins just because you don't understand what's going on.

I agree. The whole reason I came back was because j-sum1 said that he didn't know why, and hoped I would come back. Otherwise, I would have asumed I was banned for a reason, and that's it.

Yes, you can tell that the software is dated, but we shouldn't blame it on j_sum1.
Pumukli
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-9-2019 at 09:11

We are sitting on a train/ship/space ship with most of the crew went missing/in deep sleep/on maternity leave/in jail (the movie Travellers come to mind): if you check the top 15 leading "officials" of the board (supermoderators/moderators/superadministrators) maybe there are 5 or less who are actually active. :)

It is a problem.

I don't know how to solve this, but accusing/attacking j_sum1 is not the solution either. Making him wanting to leave for a few days "breathing fresh air" would probably make things even less comfortable (spam).

The disappearance of the thread is annoying, but taking into account the actual loss of useful information... Well, the thread contained 50+% political mudwrestling, 40% mumbling about what is legal or what can be considered legal, the rest few% was about actual chemistry. Which is probably covered somewhere in the other picric acid thread anyway (as teodor pointed out), in the thread what Picnic acid failed to read from the start. Wouldn't it be nice if new members followed the guidelines and would read more and tried to learn at first? Ah, good, old days... :)

Herr Haber's remark about the value of the thread is a very nice one! :) Unfortunately he forgot to use the appropriate smiley at the end so the superficial reader can easily misunderstand it. :)

J_sum1 appropriately dealt with Rebecca too: he acted a bit too cautiously but in the end find the right button. :) Man, this is a board about chemistry - at leat that's I was thought.

Loading the ongoing discussions with political rants, opinions, counter-opinions, in general: nonesens is just add insult to injury! We have this "Travellers" problem, no need to actively destruct the forum with slippery (banned) topics, like politics, religions, unsubstantiated unprovable beliefs, etc.

Thanks for those who are still active and try to make the general feel of the board not only bearable but rather desirable to make it a pleasant place! This way it may last longer.
If the remaining active administartors start to feel inclined not to visit the board regularly, then we will sink in no time.

I don't remember who said it in the past but said it well: More DOING of actual chemistry, less speaking.
Picnic Acid 2
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-9-2019 at 09:19

Quote: Originally posted by Pumukli  
We are sitting on a train/ship/space ship with most of the crew went missing/in deep sleep/on maternity leave/in jail (the movie Travellers come to mind): if you check the top 15 leading "officials" of the board (supermoderators/moderators/superadministrators) maybe there are 5 or less who are actually active. :)

It is a problem.

I don't know how to solve this, but accusing/attacking j_sum1 is not the solution either. Making him wanting to leave for a few days "breathing fresh air" would probably make things even less comfortable (spam).

The disappearance of the thread is annoying, but taking into account the actual loss of useful information... Well, the thread contained 50+% political mudwrestling, 40% mumbling about what is legal or what can be considered legal, the rest few% was about actual chemistry. Which is probably covered somewhere in the other picric acid thread anyway (as teodor pointed out), in the thread what Picnic acid failed to read from the start. Wouldn't it be nice if new members followed the guidelines and would read more and tried to learn at first? Ah, good, old days... :)

Herr Haber's remark about the value of the thread is a very nice one! :) Unfortunately he forgot to use the appropriate smiley at the end so the superficial reader can easily misunderstand it. :)

J_sum1 appropriately dealt with Rebecca too: he acted a bit too cautiously but in the end find the right button. :) Man, this is a board about chemistry - at leat that's I was thought.

Loading the ongoing discussions with political rants, opinions, counter-opinions, in general: nonesens is just add insult to injury! We have this "Travellers" problem, no need to actively destruct the forum with slippery (banned) topics, like politics, religions, unsubstantiated unprovable beliefs, etc.

Thanks for those who are still active and try to make the general feel of the board not only bearable but rather desirable to make it a pleasant place! This way it may last longer.
If the remaining active administartors start to feel inclined not to visit the board regularly, then we will sink in no time.

I don't remember who said it in the past but said it well: More DOING of actual chemistry, less speaking.

Let me first say, I did search up about it on the forum before I posted, and nothing came up. I don't know wether that was because I didn't put the words in the right order or something.

Plus, a lot of other synths lead to other restricted chemicals needed, and that takes me to square one.

All I wanted is a friendly discussion to see if anyone new any other ways. If people are going to start being snobby and aresy again, I will be happy to get banned again...

Also, let me repharse that I didn't take part or start any political discussions in my thread. It started after someone mentioned moving to the US so I can buy more chemicals.

[Edited on 3-9-2019 by Picnic Acid 2]
Pumukli
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-9-2019 at 09:42

You were not banned, so you would not be banned "again". :D

But back to your problem: don't you think if there were an easier route then it would have already be shown?

Picric acid is an old chemical, known for 150+ years probably. When it was discovered sulfuric acid, nitric acid, phenol, salicilyc acid, whatnot was not a problem to have or acquire.
Syntheses were optimized with the available strong chemicals, there was no need to use the literally watered down versions.

Then came this new thinking with the restrictions. No one had the time/urge to develop a new synthesis route appropriate for the new circumstances. But why would? Would it be less illegal to posess the end product if it was made via an environmetally benign way? How many quids of fine or years in jail could have been written off this way? Would the law enforcement be more forgiving?

First you should decide what you want. Want to remain 100% legal and forget picric acid or want the acid but got illegal. Frankly, I don't see any middle ground.

We already gave you suggestions on how to achieve your goal if you chose the later.

The old adage about having a pleasant fck and remaining virgin at the same time come to mind ... ;)
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 3-9-2019 at 09:59

Quote: Originally posted by Picnic Acid 2  
Picnic Acid here.

So I see picnic acid, almost exactly half an hour after my inquiry...sheer coincidence, one 'must' assume?

But why the caps in your moniker this time when you didn't use them in your previous 'incarnation'?

And your English usage, too, has a somewhat different timbre to it that I can't quite put my finger on.

Something's not quite right here, methinks?

hissingnoise
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-9-2019 at 10:13

Gee zwt2, for a 'first poster', you seem to have an inordinate knowledge of the workings of this forum?

A first poster usually makes some mention of chemistry, rather than engaging in an over-effusive defense of a very recently embattled moderator...

How fucking odd is that?

hissingnoise
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-9-2019 at 10:26

You seem to take us all for brainless morons, j_sum1?

I'll say this to you with all the diplomacy I can muster; why don't you go fuck yourself???

zwt2
Harmless

Mood: CHoCoLaTe

[*] posted on 3-9-2019 at 10:52

Quote: Originally posted by hissingnoise  

Gee zwt2, for a 'first poster'

What makes you think I'm a "first poster"? My signature is a link to my old account. Like many inactive members, I couldn't recover my old account so I started a new one. I've been reading these forums on-and-off for years.

You've failed to actually address my argument, which is a shame, as I expected more than a simple Ad hominem. I'm not actually defending jsum_1, he's made his fair share of mistakes, but most of what he's being blamed for he simply isn't responsible for.

You're acting paranoid and delusional, and demonstrably irrational. Your accusations are an unfalsifiable hypothesis (even though it's false, no proof could possibly exist), which someone on a science forum should be able to avoid. You're devolving into conspiracy theories (any evidence against your hypothesis will be added to the hypothesis as support). The attitude is one thing, the nonsensical discourse is another.

Have you tried reddit, or one of the even seedier forum websites where "free speech" reigns? You'll at least be among like-minded individuals.

"Since you belong to the small number of wise men... tell me, how do you occupy yourselves?"
MineMan
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-9-2019 at 11:44

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
Quote: Originally posted by Rosco Bodine  

It is a loss to "disappear" years long good reference contributors like franklyn because many of his prescient intellectual analyses, opinions, and predictions run counter to a preferred different sort of narrative. It worried me that franklyn was banned from posting but then it was denied he was banned.

Give it a rest already, Rosco. I know you are a strong advocate for franklyn. But he is absent from here of his own volition. No ban is in place. He was never kicked off.

Incorrect. I contacted him recently. He seems to want to contribute and still checks this forum regularly...

We should let the man back. I do agree with Rosco... these days we have to be very vigilant not to ban those with opinions that are considered fringe or non compliant... the internet is in a dreadful place... let’s be a shining light.
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-9-2019 at 12:21

IDK if that was targeted at me b/c of my post about backups, but I wasn't targeting J_sum with that, I know it isn't his area of admin/mod. Also, I know sys admin is a real headache especially when the site is old and/or being attacked with bots.
Picnic Acid 2
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-9-2019 at 12:41

Well, it dosen't look like I'm very welcome here. I've already went over that I don't care if something is illegal, but because it is illegal, you can't buy it.

Also, if people think I am fake. I have got proof I am legit, but at this rate I'm staying away from this shithole.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 3-9-2019 at 14:53

Well that ended well. [/sarcasm]
And end it has. There is enough bickering and personal attack to make this unworthwhile.

For the record, I am away on business for a couple if days and won't be round to clean up spam or sort out piss-fights.
Have some fun doing chemistry.

j_sum1
Administrator
Thread Closed
3-9-2019 at 14:54
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top