Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: conductor polymer
John Jijadi
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-1-2011 at 19:22
conductor polymer

any easy ways to make conductive polymer in a secondary school laboratory?
peach
Bon Vivant

[*] posted on 31-1-2011 at 15:47

Add carbon to silicone sealant?

ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 31-1-2011 at 15:49

Quote: Originally posted by peach  
Add carbon to silicone sealant?

Zzzzzz! :D
peach
Bon Vivant

[*] posted on 31-1-2011 at 16:04

Organic semiconductors?

Quote:
In 1862, Henry Letheby obtained a partly conductive material by anodic oxidation of aniline in sulfuric acid. The material was probably polyaniline

Quote:
In 1977, Shirakawa et al. reported high conductivity in oxidized and iodine-doped polyacetylene.[9] They received the 2000 Nobel prize in Chemistry for "The discovery and development of conductive polymers" [10]. In view of the many previous reports of similar compounds, the "discovery" assignment is contested

Bonus points, you can print them with a deskjet and one of them is in your skin.

[Edited on 1-2-2011 by peach]

smuv
National Hazard

Mood: Jingoistic

[*] posted on 31-1-2011 at 18:57

polyacetylene.

You can make polyacetylene (with some chain defects) from thermolysis of polyvinyl acetate polymers. When the quantitative amount of acetic acid is collected the still pot will contain a colored polymer, largely consisting of polyacetylene (at least so I have read).
peach
Bon Vivant

[*] posted on 31-1-2011 at 23:26

Ooooooo, thanks for that. Nifty stuff, organic semiconductors starting from the ubiquitous PVA glue pots of kids TV.

I'll have to do some googling to look at the doping ideas. But it's now 7.30am and I haven't been to bed yet, so it's probably one for tomorrow.

It would be sciencedamn amazing if one could produce an ink jettable form of the polymer so simply.

vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 1-2-2011 at 10:19

FeCl3 polymerization of polythiophene, add I2 as dopant. Conductivity isn't great though.

PEDOT PSS is widely used in antistatic coatings, but is not really easy to synthesize in a highschool setting.

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
smuv
National Hazard

Mood: Jingoistic

[*] posted on 1-2-2011 at 11:53

http://books.google.com/books?id=AY__YWnIE_4C&printsec=f...

I'm pretty sure I read it in one of the references in the polyvinyl acetate article of the above book. It is a real interesting book, if anyone has full online access to it, I would be very thankful if someone could share it.
paulr1234
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 1-2-2011 at 15:32

This one doesn't require anything too exotic or dangerous:

http://ndeaa.jpl.nasa.gov/nasa-nde/lommas/eap/Nanotube-PrepP...

However is was fashioned as a bending EAP not just as a conductor but it might make a good demo, especially as you can also show a practical application.

I've used a cheap vibrating jewelry cleaner instead of an expensive lab sonicator.
Zaratukhshthra
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-2-2011 at 04:02

polyacetylene can't be stored open door (it's unstable). IMHO the best choice of conducting polymers for amateur chemists is polyaniline (PANI). It's pretty easy to synthesis. All you need is an acidic aq aniline solution and a) an oxidizer ((NH4)2S2O8, FeCl3, K2Cr2O7....) or b) two steel plates and a power supply.

there are many cool things you can do with it. e.g. by changing the potential of a PANI coated electrode. it instantly changes color (reversibly) between transparent (pale yellow, leucoemeraldine = reduced form, insulator), green (emeraldine = half oxidized, conductive) and blue (pernigraniline = fully oxidized, insulator).

Also at acidic pHs it's conductive and green in color (emerldine salt). At higher pHs it becomes insulator and blue in color (emeraldine base)

[Edited on 4-2-2011 by Zaratukhshthra]
DNA
Hazard to Others

Mood: Experimenting

[*] posted on 4-2-2011 at 04:34

Add nano carbontubes or make an alternating double bond polymer like this:
(-=-=-=-=-=-)n this will also conduct elecricity.
Zaratukhshthra
Harmless

[*] posted on 7-2-2011 at 08:38

Quote: Originally posted by DNA  
...or make an alternating double bond polymer like this:
(-=-=-=-=-=-)n this will also conduct elecricity.

conjugation is not the whole story. you need to either oxidize or reduce the conjugated polymer, so that freely moving charge carriers appear.
for more information search for polaron+bipolaron+soliton+"conducting polymers"
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-2-2011 at 10:38

Suzuki coupling of p-bromobenzeneboronic acid in the presence of a base (Na2CO3, KF, etc) will produce PPP (thats poly-para-phenylene) - without a dopant its an insulator but partial oxidation (e.g. with iodine) or reduction will yield a conductive solid (conductivity is 2-4 magnitudes less than copper metal - approximately similar to lead). This material is also electroluminescent, and if Peach requires I'll provide the details I have on that property. What DNA posts is actually polyacetylene - I guess he doesnt realise his conjugated polymer has a name... But Zaratukhshthra is right in saying it needs doping in order for it to become a metallic conductor - otherwise its a semiconducting material. Doping produces "mid gap states", allowing for metallic conduction.
paulr1234
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 7-2-2011 at 13:24

@DJF90

I don't suppose you have a reference or synthesis work up for this?
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-2-2011 at 14:10

http://ifile.it/a15p6i8
peach
Bon Vivant

[*] posted on 8-2-2011 at 01:09

Electro-luminescence! A win win situation. :D

Polyacetylene is also the back bone of melanin; skin pigments.

I wonder if any of those are more stable yet also decent polymer conductors.

Adas
National Hazard

Mood: Sensitive to shock and friction

[*] posted on 8-2-2013 at 10:02

I would love to have some stable, good-conducting polymer electrodes. One could possibly electrolyse anything with them without damage :D

Rest In Pieces!
kristofvagyok
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-2-2013 at 13:31

Awesome topic, sad that I didn't discovered it yet!

The most easily "home made" conductive polymer is polyaniline what could be really easily made via mild oxidation of aniline. If it's pure than it has an awesome blue of green color in solution, I think that if someone wants to start experiments than this would be a good point.

The polyacetylene is aint to easy to make, Ziegler-Natta catalyst is needed for making it, not an easy task for a home chemist.

Polypyrrole is also a great thing to make, it is really easily made, pyrrole is also not a really hard task for a home chemist (could be made from mucic acid amide via heating) and coud be polymerized electrochemically as seen here:

-that black thing is the electrochemically formed doped polypyrrole.

I have written a homework not long ago from conductive polymers, it's mainly from wiki and a few other sources but if someone knows just a little than it could be useful to read it.
Attachment: conductive polymers homework.pdf (141kB)
This file has been downloaded 844 times

I have a blog where I post my pictures from my work: http://labphoto.tumblr.com/
-Pictures from chemistry, check it out(:

"You can’t become a chemist and expect to live forever."
Rich_Insane
Hazard to Others

Mood: alive

[*] posted on 11-2-2013 at 13:41

I used to work with conductive polymers a lot. Melanin is one great biopolymer [Science, vol 183, 853-855 (1974)]. I recall that I grew common mushrooms and exposed them to UVA light (390 nm), which causes them to form a thick black colored layer on the cap. The polymer itself is soluble in alkaline solutions (pH 10 and up) and highly insoluble in acid.

I also know that there are charge transfer complexes like the quinhydrone complex and such, which are somewhat OTC.
Jekyll
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-3-2013 at 21:29

Quote: Originally posted by Adas  
I would love to have some stable, good-conducting polymer electrodes. One could possibly electrolyse anything with them without damage :D

Metallic fibers, particularly stainless steel fibers (expensive), make an excellent conductive polymer reinforcement, as do the cheaper aluminum coated glass fibers, aluminum foil sliced ribbons and melt–spun aluminum fibers. Stainless might possibly work for a conductive, fiber-reinforced polymer electrode.

Go To Top