Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  20    22  
Author: Subject: Making fire (youtube collaborative video)
RadioTrefoil
Harmless

Mood: Inert

[*] posted on 12-7-2012 at 05:02
Diethylzinc?

Diethylzinc autoignites from contact with the oxygen in the air. Diethylzinc can be synthesised from reaction of zinc-copper couple with a mixture of ethyl iodide and ethyl bromide.

A full synthesis from <i>Organic Syntheses, Coll. Vol. 2, p.184 (1943); Vol. 12, p.86 (1932)</i> can be found <a href="http://www.orgsyn.org/orgsyn/orgsyn/prepContent.asp?prep=cv2p0184">Here</a>. Please take your time to read it and decide whether you will use it!

[Edited on 12-7-2012 by RadioTrefoil]

MESITYL FREAKING OXIDE
hkparker
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-8-2012 at 14:26

Sorry for the large delay! Been busy, and just got back from a week in vegas at DEFCON.

@RadioTrefoil
Were pretty ready to post this video, so we aren't really taking new submissions. It's a good idea though, give it a try. However, I think the next collaborative project will not involve fire.

@Vargouille
Whoops! Fixed that, thank you.

@Bot0nist
Good point, we should probably stay on the safer side for large video like this. Reluctantly, I'll remove it. We have some other videos with chloric acid though. And thank you! This project wouldn't be happening without your and everyone else's contributions!

Chnagelog:
-added text before steel wool video
-remove sulfuric acid + chlorate + IPA video.

Rough Draft part III here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB6lEpV4H0Q
(uploading at the time of post, please give it a few hours)

I'll give it another week before I make it public.

My YouTube Channel

"Nothing is too wonderful to be true if it be consistent with the laws of nature." -Michael Faraday
Vargouille
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-8-2012 at 04:13

On the ibuprofen/KClO3 section, "ignite" is misspelled. In UC's part, his name is misspelled in the Contributor section. In the PbO2/Sugar/H2SO4 section, "concentrated" is misspelled. There's also some really nit-picky things about the typesetting not having a good shape, but that can be ignored, methinks.

Good video, as it was the last time, though.
plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 2-8-2012 at 05:40

I send a U2U to Hkparker with my modest contribution.

Glycerin is added to fine powder of ammonium dichromate then sulphuric acid is added.

http://youtu.be/GPSiutBoaGU

I never asked for this.
hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 5-8-2012 at 21:04

@Vargouille That's exactly what I needed, thanks for your time. These spelling issues will be corrected for the next revision.

@plante1999 Thanks for the submission. The bulk of this reaction looks like the self sufficient decomposition of ammonium dichromate (old volcano demo reaction). I think there are some health concerns over this, due to the presence of hexavalent chromium. So I'm a bit reluctant, though I really do appreciate your submission. It isn't my call alone of course:

Can I get some feedback from other contributors about including this video? Too unsafe? Or should it be included? Thank you all!

Also, Rogeryermaw is sending along another contribution. Next revision will include any new videos an correct spelling errors.

My YouTube Channel

"Nothing is too wonderful to be true if it be consistent with the laws of nature." -Michael Faraday
Rogeryermaw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-8-2012 at 00:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnbaccKTzyQ

the video is unlisted. if i need to submit it to you in any other form or route, let me know. also, this was done at night. it would probably look much better in daylight. if you would like me to do so it would only take an hour or so to take the vid, edit and submit. just shout out.

[Edited on 6-8-2012 by Rogeryermaw]
hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-8-2012 at 02:51

Looks good. I would use it, though getting to see more of the mix and better light would be nice. Its up to you if its worth the time though. Thanks for the submission!

My YouTube Channel

plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 6-8-2012 at 04:09

I agree on the health concern but there is much more dangerous video than mine, (example hypergolics with nitric acid). The reaction is slow and is not dangerous apart from toxicity.

If you still find it too ''dangerous'' your not obligated to show the reaction.

I never asked for this.
Vargouille
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-8-2012 at 05:15

If I may, as long as the ammonium dichromate volcano is shown with a comment on its danger, it should be fine. It's not explosive to light it like this, and the carcinogenic danger is reduced significantly by standing a few feet away.
weiming1998
National Hazard

Mood: Amphoteric

[*] posted on 6-8-2012 at 07:09

A reaction between calcium hypochlorite and glycerol, with a bit of sulfur to help the mix burn, is hypergolic and ignites. I would think that's a good way to make fire without matches/lighter, using very cheap reagents. Here is my newly-posted video on it (although I recorded this a few months ago) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mw2cDmcWoTU&feature=youtu...
Rogeryermaw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-8-2012 at 11:47

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J1y93MCJ_I&feature=youtu... re-recorded during daylight. feel free to trim any fat to shorten the run time.
hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-8-2012 at 16:02

@plante1999 @Vargouille
Ok agreed, I will add the video with a safety warning.

@weiming1998
Could you try shooting this in the daylight so we could see the mixture better?

@Rogeryermaw
Nice improvement, will add that one, looks good.

My YouTube Channel

weiming1998
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-8-2012 at 03:01

Quote: Originally posted by hkparker  
@plante1999 @Vargouille
Ok agreed, I will add the video with a safety warning.

@weiming1998
Could you try shooting this in the daylight so we could see the mixture better?

@Rogeryermaw
Nice improvement, will add that one, looks good.

I could possibly take some pictures of the mixture igniting in daylight, but it couldn't be in video form, because this site doesn't allow me to directly upload videos to it. Anyway, I always found that wrapping this mixture of calcium hypochlorite, glycerol and sulfur in aluminum foil makes the mix combust easier, but I can try without.
Vargouille
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-8-2012 at 15:43

Most of the people have been uploading to YouTube. Even if you don't do that, there's torrenting and download sites like Mediafire.
hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 9-8-2012 at 17:55

Upload to youtube I can download from there. If that isn't an option, use mediafire as suggested by Vargouille. If that isn't an option for some reason I can give you an FTP share.

My YouTube Channel

hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 24-8-2012 at 15:28

I will take the 16 day lack of response from weiming1998 as no longer interested. I would also prefer to consider submissions as closed at this point.

@plante1999 @Rogeryermaw your videos have been added.

Changelog:
-Added plante1999's video on Ammonium Dichromate, Glycerin, and Sulfuric Acid
-Added Rogeryermaw's video about potassium permanganate, sulfur, and sulfuric acid
-Fixed typo in the ibuprofen/KClO3 section, "ignite"
-Fixed type in UC's part, his name
-Fixed typo in the PbO2/Sugar/H2SO4 section, "concentrated"

Revision IV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkgXCKhHMS4

My YouTube Channel

weiming1998
National Hazard

[*] posted on 24-8-2012 at 16:55

I will take the 16 day lack of response from weiming1998 as no longer interested. I would also prefer to consider submissions as closed at this point.

@plante1999 @Rogeryermaw your videos have been added.

Changelog:
-Added plante1999's video on Ammonium Dichromate, Glycerin, and Sulfuric Acid
-Added Rogeryermaw's video about potassium permanganate, sulfur, and sulfuric acid
-Fixed typo in the ibuprofen/KClO3 section, "ignite"
-Fixed type in UC's part, his name
-Fixed typo in the PbO2/Sugar/H2SO4 section, "concentrated"

Revision IV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkgXCKhHMS4

I'm sorry, I completely forgot about this. I have been rather busy with school work lately.

Anyway, the mixture of calcium hypochlorite and glycerin do not ignite when unconfined, as shown in this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4viUyJULF8&feature=youtu...) video, it simply smokes and expands. I didn't add in sulfur because I used it all up, and the sulfur wouldn't have initiated ignition anyway. Again, I am sorry for bothering you with a late response.
hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 24-8-2012 at 16:59

No worries at all, just want to get this video off the ground. Thank you for following up.

My YouTube Channel

Vargouille
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-8-2012 at 03:32

UC's name is still misspelled, where it says "Contributor: UnintentioalChaos" @4:44.
@9:30, ammonium dichromate is misspelled.
@10:15, UC's name is again misspelled, this time as "UnintentionalChoas".

hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-8-2012 at 10:25

Not sure how I missed that twice, thank you! Spelling errors actually fixed now.

Fixed ammonium dichromate as well.

My YouTube Channel

triplepoint
Hazard to Others

Mood: in equilibrium

[*] posted on 30-8-2012 at 07:51

I have viewed your results on YouTube. Great work. Thank you to all of you who were involved in making it. I have a small suggestion, and its possible you already considered and discarded the idea. You provide so much material so quickly in the videos that I fear the effect will be somewhat lost on the viewers. I think your videos may get more attention if released as a series of shorter videos rather than as a huge compilation. That would also make it more practical to include more info about the reactions, something that would be welcomed by some viewers.

Again, I recognize that a huge amount if work went into this, and none of it mine. I think you guys did a great job and thank you.
hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-9-2012 at 19:26

Thank you for your input triplepoint. This hasn't been brought up before but I like the idea. We'll release this video as planned but that is something to consider in the future. I think going into this, however, the idea was to produce large collaborative projects. Don't mean that can't be changed, well keep the discussion open on our next project.

Since I haven't seen any objection to the most recent revision (spelling errors fixed) I say we are go for release! Only thing is someone needs to type the in depth talk about each reaction (as seen in the description of the first one). If no one if up for it I can in my free time.

My YouTube Channel

Endimion17
International Hazard

Mood: speeding through time at the rate of 1 second per second

[*] posted on 7-9-2012 at 01:26

garage chemist, I don't want to sound boring, but mixing reactants that produce a hypergolic reaction in a test tube, let alone one pointed straight up, is a recipe for an accident.
Also, you're not wearing safety equipment. You just grabbed the test tube and poured the stuff in. No gloves, naked wrist. You could've easy be left with holes in your skin.
That's not how you perform instant, exothermic, hypergolic reactions. You could've easily burned yourself with your boiling concentrated acid.

Here, check this out (it's also on-topic because of the fire).
<iframe sandbox width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HXuKgTTfSdY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I was meters away, hidden behind a shield, operating the axle holding the sample, and the tube is tilted backwards (not easily visible because of the camera position). When shit happens, it happens far from me and goes away from me. I was not operating the camera and I could've escaped away from the setup at any time. Water pipe was behind me.

It's not just you. Others see ill-performed demonstrations, too. Think of all the people accessing YouTube out there.
Anyway, it's a cool reaction and it would be nice to see a slow motion HD video of it.

hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 10-9-2012 at 17:22

We've covered this topic in the past for these projects. I really do agree with you Endimion17, it was not done with best practices, same with some of the other demos to a lesser degree. That said I think all of them were done with a reasonable amount of safety. By that I mean the dangerous of the reactions are apparent to the viewer, and adequate warning is given. As much as saying "never repeat, entertainment only" is ideal, I find it kind of hypocritical. I agree the average youtube user isn't the most qualified to repeat some riskier demos, but its how me, and I think many others, got started. Also it would it be futile to tell people not to repeat things, if they want to they will regardless of what warnings we put. Not to mention there is no short supply of kewl TATP videos out there...

I guess my point is we can't hold ourselves responsible for the irresponsibility of others. That being said promoting bad practice is bad, and we should strive for professionalism. Either way only my opinions here, I leave it to the rest of SM to decide.

My YouTube Channel

Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 10-9-2012 at 18:27

... I guess my point is we can't hold ourselves responsible for the irresponsibility of others. That being said promoting bad practice is bad, and we should strive for professionalism.

Im in total agreement. That said, i didn't wear gloves when I should have.
We are all guilty of a bit of complacancy in lab practice, even Endi. (your accidental LPG flame thrower in the house during distillation, a very entertaning precautionary tale... ;) )

I am glad we aired on the side of (realative) caution for the YT video though. agian, great addition HK, and SciMad.

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
 Pages:  1  ..  20    22  

Go To Top