Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: presentation about explosives to school
trowaway45258
Harmless

smile.gif posted on 8-9-2019 at 02:02
presentation about explosives to school

Recently teacher was telling us to make presentation on different topics, and one of them was explosives, so i took it. Iam planning on making some pictures and videos for it myself, the explosives i will be making myself are TATP, silver fulminate, armstrongs mixture, chlorine dioxide, silver acetylide, maybe HMTD and others.... I want to ask if you have some tips or ideas on how to make the presentation betther
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-9-2019 at 02:13

The risks seem too great for a school demonstration,

discuss with your teacher before starting anything with energetic materials.

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
trowaway45258
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-9-2019 at 02:15

Quote: Originally posted by Sulaiman  

I wont be doing any demonstration in school, i will make videos and picturs and include them in powerpoint presentation
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 8-9-2019 at 02:19

Don't.

You are just not experienced enought to handle this explosion salad. That much is evident from your questions.

TATP is illegal many places with reason. It is twitchy as hell. Ar;strong mix can take off fingers without warning. It is known for being temporamental. (I know this now.)
You are out of your depth here. Back off and consider what you can reasonably accomplish at your level of expertise.

trowaway45258
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-9-2019 at 02:42

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
Don't.

You are just not experienced enought to handle this explosion salad. That much is evident from your questions.

TATP is illegal many places with reason. It is twitchy as hell. Ar;strong mix can take off fingers without warning. It is known for being temporamental. (I know this now.)
You are out of your depth here. Back off and consider what you can reasonably accomplish at your level of expertise.

I have worked with both TATP and armstrongs mixture many times so i do have some experience.... The legal problems are probably the worst....
Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 8-9-2019 at 02:44

Quote: Originally posted by trowaway45258  

I wont be doing any demonstration in school, i will make videos and picturs and include them in powerpoint presentation

making explosives at home is not something many countries allow, i don't know where you live but showing to your classmates and teacher you doing illegal or barely legal things is not a good idea. if it is legal, talk to your teacher, maybe if you can do it supervised at school they'll let you do it (but i still doubt it).

---------------------------------------------------------------------
feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make
---------------------------------------------------------------------
trowaway45258
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-9-2019 at 02:50

Quote: Originally posted by Ubya  

making explosives at home is not something many countries allow, i don't know where you live but showing to your classmates and teacher you doing illegal or barely legal things is not a good idea. if it is legal, talk to your teacher, maybe if you can do it supervised at school they'll let you do it (but i still doubt it).

yeah.... its not great idea.....you changed my mind.... still at least i can use the knowage i have about explosives.....
Picnic Acid 2
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-9-2019 at 05:01

Even if it is legal, the teachers allow it, and you don't get blown up, some kid will tell their parents and the bomb squad will be visiting your house.

I brought some Copper Sulfate crystals into school once, and some kid said that they were illegal...
Heptylene
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-9-2019 at 06:00

Yeah demonstrations with actual explosives are probably not a good idea.

Explosives are still an interesting topic though. You could show the explosion of a H2 balloon and an H2 + O2 balloon. It's a common demonstration in schools, and is not too dangerous to perform live. But it would show the difference between deflagration and detonation, and illustrate why explosives are useful.
Microtek
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-9-2019 at 08:10

Do the videos have to have been made by you? Otherwise you could find some relevant ones online, and then make your presentation around those.
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-9-2019 at 09:45

That list looks like a goal to win a Darwin award.

As stated, make a list of practical explosives, the theory of how they work, what makes them a powerful tool for civilization, how they are used.

The 5 W's : Who, what, where, when, and why

Who invented the basic explosives used through out history

what was the goal / reason for them

where in the world they where discovered and where they are used.

when where they introduced to industry or used practically for the first times

Why they became a vital part of modern civilization.

and please plan to use paragraphs in the future too, it is very helpful.

[Edited on 8-9-2019 by XeonTheMGPony]
wessonsmith
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-9-2019 at 09:47

Bottom line, when you say I am going to make TATP or HMTD all I hear is, "I really don't have much experience or knowledge when it comes to explosives, and I thought it would be a good idea to make some of the most dangerous and oh yeah, REALLY EASY, even at 12 yrs old could make, explosives!"

I hope this doesn't come across as some pompous ass, but any moron can make HMTD or TATP!:o

Stick with the theory of explosives, how they work, and how they're used. Showing the world, you can make dangerous and easily made explosives isn't impressive or noteworthy.

[Edited on 8-9-2019 by wessonsmith]
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-9-2019 at 11:03

Nitrogen Trichloride would be the most dangerous, but it is clear the OP is not as knowledgeable on the field to be making a slew of particularly sensitive and powerful primaries.

Start off with basic black powder, then as they learn to handle that safely move up the ladder slowly, next would be Nitrocellulose.

OP: Doesn't matter how many times you got away with handling some thing dangerous, it only matters that one time you don't!

So ya study and practice and move slow and by small amounts.
Fulmen
International Hazard

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 8-9-2019 at 12:22

If I had to choose one substance for a demonstration it would be NI3. It's a well established "demonstration chemical" with absolutely no practical applications.

We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together.
Pyro_cat
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-9-2019 at 12:27

Recently teacher was telling us to make presentation on different topics, and one of them was explosives, so i took it. Iam planning on making some pictures and videos for it myself, the explosives i will be making myself are TATP, silver fulminate, armstrongs mixture, chlorine dioxide, silver acetylide, maybe HMTD and others.... I want to ask if you have some tips or ideas on how to make the presentation betther

So many pictures and videos made by other people already exist so you can just use those without bringing trouble to yourself besides maybe copyright infringement lol . The history of explosives is fascinating I would make that the theme of the presentation.

Herr Haber
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-9-2019 at 03:08

Dont !

Girls prefer boys with all their bits attached.

The spirit of adventure was upon me. Having nitric acid and copper, I had only to learn what the words 'act upon' meant. - Ira Remsen
monolithic
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-9-2019 at 18:20

Iam planning on making some pictures and videos for it myself, the explosives i will be making myself are TATP, silver fulminate, armstrongs mixture, chlorine dioxide, silver acetylide, maybe HMTD and others....

If you live in the USA this is going to end with the police raiding your house, arresting you, confiscating ever chemical, piece of glassware, and electronic device your own, and charging you with everything in the book. Oh and if you have a dog they'll probably shoot it to death.
Rocinante
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-9-2019 at 07:58

And for the love of god don't spread the myth that Dynamite was (extensively) used by the military.

Explosives are important because our civilization is based on iron, copper and steel. To make that you need to break rock. Before explosives, breaking rock required physical manpower - resulting in very low yields and severe, early joint damage.

Explosives changed all of that.

https://youtu.be/FWZBRWQXs6g
Explain that what brisance is and how quickly it falls off - just a few centimeters of air can make steel immune to explosives and that is why rectangular demolition block made out of TNT were replaced by RDX based plastic explosives

show the use of shaped charges in the oil industry and mention airbags,,,

...and never directly handle primary explosives, use non-fragmenting tools, cleaverly bent paper and such!

[Edited on 11-9-2019 by Rocinante]
MineMan
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-9-2019 at 15:45

Quote: Originally posted by Rocinante  
And for the love of god don't spread the myth that Dynamite was (extensively) used by the military.

Explosives are important because our civilization is based on iron, copper and steel. To make that you need to break rock. Before explosives, breaking rock required physical manpower - resulting in very low yields and severe, early joint damage.

Explosives changed all of that.

https://youtu.be/FWZBRWQXs6g
Explain that what brisance is and how quickly it falls off - just a few centimeters of air can make steel immune to explosives and that is why rectangular demolition block made out of TNT were replaced by RDX based plastic explosives

show the use of shaped charges in the oil industry and mention airbags,,,

...and never directly handle primary explosives, use non-fragmenting tools, cleaverly bent paper and such!

Before dynamite blackpowder was of course used to break rock... before that fire setting was sometimes employed....

Luckily for us miners mineralized rock tends to be much weaker... but it was really the drill that took the manual labor away... remember, the dynamite holes still had to be drilled by hand. That meant using a steel bar with a bit attached, hitting it with a single jack, turning it... lot of work.
[Edited on 11-9-2019 by Rocinante]

Go To Top