Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: floating aluminium foil above an induction hob
wg48temp9
National Hazard

[*] posted on 9-9-2019 at 01:45
floating aluminium foil above an induction hob

I was attempting some mild heating in a stainless steel lid of a storage jar on an induction hob. I was preparing eggs for my breakfast LOL.

I had covered the lid with a piece of aluminium foil. The foil lifted with a burst of steam. I thought I had over heated the egg but it was not cooked yet. I replaced the foil and in a few seconds it lifted and slipped off again. Eventually I weighted the foil down with a spoon.

I realized the foil floated each time the induction hob pulsed on (low power is achieved by pulsing the 20kHz induction field every few seconds). Its possible to hear when the hob pulses as it produces a buzz on each power pulse. I thought the floating was odd as aluminium foil does not normally float on the hob.

I suspect the stainless steel was acting like a shaded pole which in combination with the hobs magnetic filed produced a vertically moving field that levitated the aluminium foil.

Obviously some experiments are required to see if I can enhance the effect.

I am wg48 but not on my usual pc hence the temp handle.
Thank goodness for Fleming and the fungi.
Old codger' lives matters, wear a mask and help save them.
Be aware of demagoguery, keep your frontal lobes fully engaged.
I don't know who invented mRNA vaccines but they should get a fancy medal and I hope they made a shed load of money from it.

Go To Top