Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Carboxylic acid to nitriles using microwave radiation
Opylation
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-9-2019 at 21:32
Carboxylic acid to nitriles using microwave radiation

Hey guys,

I came across an amazing synth that uses commercial microwaves, hydroxylamine, zinc, and PEG400 to convert aromatic carboxylic acids to nitriles at a yield of upper 90%. Just thought I’d post it because it seems easy as cake

Attachment: cao2010.pdf (60kB)
This file has been downloaded 364 times

[Edited on 11-9-2019 by Opylation]

[Edited on 11-9-2019 by Opylation]
Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 10-9-2019 at 23:51

well this is very exciting, if someone has hydroxylamine he should definitely try this out and report the results. finding the right power setting seems the only variable to find for each molecule to test

---------------------------------------------------------------------
feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make
draculic acid69
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-9-2019 at 00:56

Peg400 is what they put in pills to stop ppl extracting the stuff in them? If it is good luck getting rxn products out of the slimy soup you'll end up with.
Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 11-9-2019 at 01:05

PEG400 has a big affinity for water, so extracting the nitrile with an apolar solvent (DCM was used in the paper) should be the way to go, but i've never worked with it, someone that had can enlighten us a bit more

[Edited on 11-9-2019 by Ubya]

feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make
happyfooddance
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-9-2019 at 01:28

I doubt any emulsification agent or even PTC would hinder a simple steam distillation of this product, correct me if I'm wrong.

From a mechanics standpoint, a steam distillation should work fine as a first step for a work up.
Boffis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-9-2019 at 08:38

Do I understand the paper correctly? It states that 5% PEG is required but 5% of what? It appears to be essentially a solvent free reaction so that the 5% must presumably be 5% of the mass of other reactants? Mmmm who's got a microwave they are prepared to sacrifice? And how do you measure the power output?

I was also under the impression that dpomestic microwave ovens had a microwave generator that pumps out a constant output and that the overal power output was controlled by the time the microwave generator was switched on or off?
Cactuar
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-9-2019 at 09:29

Quote: Originally posted by Boffis  
Do I understand the paper correctly? It states that 5% PEG is required but 5% of what? It appears to be essentially a solvent free reaction so that the 5% must presumably be 5% of the mass of other reactants? Mmmm who's got a microwave they are prepared to sacrifice? And how do you measure the power output?

5 mol%. It even says so on the first page.

I was also under the impression that dpomestic microwave ovens had a microwave generator that pumps out a constant output and that the overal power output was controlled by the time the microwave generator was switched on or off?

This is my understanding as well.
Boffis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-9-2019 at 10:47

@Cactaur, I think you missed the point of my first comment. This is essentially a solvent few reaction since 5% PEG in the example given for benzoic acid is only a little over 0.3g say 0.3ml. This will barely make the mixture moist. The zinc particles are conductive so will they not get thunderingly hot? I just find the report "iffy". I would like to hear someone from SM try this and see what their results are but the lack of information on mixing, grinding together to get a homogeneous fine mixture, the addition of the PEG the nature of the reaction vesicle etc is poor. I think you will find it very difficult to reproduce these results. If you contact the authors and say "I can't reproduce your results" they will respond saying you didn't follow the procedure accurately but given the lack of detail its hardly surprising.

Anyway, I remain to be convinces about those yields.
icelake
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-9-2019 at 11:03

This is essentially a solvent few reaction since 5% PEG in the example given for benzoic acid is only a little over 0.3g say 0.3ml.

I think 5 mol% means 50 mmol -- 50 * 400/1000 = 20 g - more realitic?

5 mol% in theory:

x / (65+x) = 0.05 -> x = 3.421 mmol = 1.368 g.

[Edited on 11-9-2019 by icelake]
wg48temp9
National Hazard

[*] posted on 11-9-2019 at 11:42

231W for 20 minutes is a lot of power to be absorbed by about 8g of reactant.

Its 177,000J about 221,000 J per g. It would vaporize 8g water and then some. It would melt many ceramic materials.

In a different microwave synthesis using a few grams of reactants used 1kW for 30 minutes.

I guess only a small fraction if the input power is dissipated in the reactants as its dependent on the absorption characteristics of the reactants and characteristics of the microwave oven. Which probably means some experimentation with the time and power level will be required.

I am wg48 but not on my usual pc hence the temp handle.
Thank goodness for Fleming and the fungi.
Old codger' lives matters, wear a mask and help save them.
Be aware of demagoguery, keep your frontal lobes fully engaged.
I don't know who invented mRNA vaccines but they should get a fancy medal and I hope they made a shed load of money from it.
Cactuar
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-9-2019 at 14:19

@Cactaur, I think you missed the point of my first comment. This is essentially a solvent few reaction since 5% PEG in the example given for benzoic acid is only a little over 0.3g say 0.3ml. This will barely make the mixture moist. The zinc particles are conductive so will they not get thunderingly hot? I just find the report "iffy". I would like to hear someone from SM try this and see what their results are but the lack of information on mixing, grinding together to get a homogeneous fine mixture, the addition of the PEG the nature of the reaction vesicle etc is poor. I think you will find it very difficult to reproduce these results. If you contact the authors and say "I can't reproduce your results" they will respond saying you didn't follow the procedure accurately but given the lack of detail its hardly surprising.

Anyway, I remain to be convinces about those yields.

Yes, that is how I believe it was done. Mixed up to a paste and nuked. They even refer to it as a catalyst which is probably why they give the amount in loading.

You are making a good point about the zinc particles. The microwave they claim to have used was this Midea.

Go To Top