Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Naptha everyone
Yttrium2
Perpetual Question Machine

wink.gif posted on 15-9-2019 at 16:07
Naptha everyone

The Naptha thread,

What is Naptha?

Simply certain fractions of petroleum, or something that the search engine isn't telling us...

What is Naptha?

Is it the same as Kingsford BBQ lighter fluid, or is it something else.

According to the definition- Naptha: a flammable oil containing various hydrocarbons, obtained by the dry distillation of organic substances such as coal, shale, or petroleum.

What I'm trying to get at is what is Naptha, where does it come from? And how can I make my own?

I've heard of various things referred to as Naptha, and nothing specific.

FSOM

-

For all the methies, Naptha can precipitate pseudoephedrine freebase which is prepared by simply crushing/grinding (is geometric dilution the best) the pills with around' 2.5:1 sodium carbonate (aka washing soda) to pills.

This is then mixed with hot Naptha and stirred.

The container containing the mix is allowed to settle, then the portion NOT containing the sediment (shit at the bottom) is siphoned off

The container containing the siphoned material is placed into a freezer.

After freezing overnight, the clean pseudoephedrine precipitates

How clean is anybodies guess, wish I knew. The soaps and foliants that were engineered to defeat extractions are interesting.

Extraction has always been interesting to me, and they made it puzzling - does Naptha and sodium carbonate work?

A lot of people probably wish that this remained quiet, but there there it is---

I believe so, but I never got to test the purity and I likely never will..

I believe chemistry shouldn't be mystified

There is my secret
What is yours?

Rise against - Swing life away

[Edited on 9/16/2019 by Yttrium2]
RedDwarf
Hazard to Others

Mood: Variable

[*] posted on 16-9-2019 at 05:15

Yes Naptha is just a convenient term for a petroleum solvent usually defined by it's boiling point range (which shows that it's a mixture not a pure compound). Most commonly covers compounds found in kerosene and petrol (gasoline for the linguistically challenged!). Even with a defined boiling point range, the mixture itself isn't defined and can contain varying amounts of straight chain and aromatic compounds.
Herr Haber
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-9-2019 at 05:58

You can sort of make your own from gasoline by distilling the fractions you are interested in.
Usually you describe it by adding the range from which you collected the distillate: 40-60 / 60-80 etc.

The spirit of adventure was upon me. Having nitric acid and copper, I had only to learn what the words 'act upon' meant. - Ira Remsen
Deathunter88
National Hazard

[*] posted on 16-9-2019 at 13:47

Careful when using distilled gasoline in place of naphtha for reactions since it contains a significant portion of aromatic and unsaturated compounds. (Normal naphtha is mostly C5-C9 alkanes)
Yttrium2

[*] posted on 16-9-2019 at 17:11

Is it the same as petroleum ether?
PirateDocBrown
National Hazard

[*] posted on 16-9-2019 at 19:58

Rather than gasoline, try distilling paint thinner. Far greater alkane content.

Pet ether is defined as a mix of alkanes boiling below 60C.
If you want pet ether, distill white gas, aka Coleman fuel. Ronson fuel works, too.

[Edited on 9/17/19 by PirateDocBrown]

Phlogiston manufacturer/supplier.

For all your phlogiston needs.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 16-9-2019 at 20:29

Quote: Originally posted by Herr Haber  
You can sort of make your own from gasoline by distilling the fractions you are interested in.
Usually you describe it by adding the range from which you collected the distillate: 40-60 / 60-80 etc.

Look up Extractions and Ire on distilling hexanes.

RedDwarf
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-9-2019 at 05:11

Petroleum Ether (which isn't an ether) is a low boiling point range naptha, but most napthas are NOT petroleum ether.
SWIM
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-9-2019 at 09:42

I think freebase pseudoephedrine is very soluble in alkanes and recovery would be poor.
I also suspect the neutralization of the salt would slow rather slow if done in naptha because of poor solubility.

it is, however, insoluble in water.

1: soak pills in water and filter. (Do not grind. They're made to leach the active ingredient effectively without grinding, which just slows down the filtration)

2: Add soluble carbonate or bicarbonate to basify the solution. (Light blue to litmus)

3: Filter out the large lumps of pseudoephedrine

4: ????

5: Profit! (Or jail time)

Higher boiling solvents composed of alkanes were traditionally referred to as ligroin in older literature.
Usually with the boiling point range specified (70- 80 degrees, 80 to 90 degrees, etc)

The higher boiling versions had somewhat greater solvent power, I think.

I met a girl once who liked drinking naptha. She also liked stealing televisions.

Yttrium2

[*] posted on 17-9-2019 at 12:22

I'm still uncertain as to how Naptha is produced, I know it could be distilled from Coleman's camp fuel, to remove a rust inhibitor.

But other than that I'm not sure what it is.
Or how it is produced

Coleman's camp fuel is the last untouched source I know of that has the right amount of Naptha in it. It's not diluted like Zippo fluid

Zippo fluid changed there formulation, it used to be Naptha --it no longer is what it was. Now if this was distilled would it be the same thing?

And when distilling Naptha, ( from Coleman's non white gas)is it best to distill to dryness to collect all the fractions -
I'm guessing si

Ultimately I'm wondering what is Naptha, how is it produced

Saying a mix of alkanes isn't really specific

*(In other words what is Naptha and where does it come from this is what I'm wanting to know)*

[Edited on 9/17/2019 by Yttrium2]

RedDwarf
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-9-2019 at 13:47

Quote: Originally posted by Yttrium2  

*(In other words what is Naptha and where does it come from this is what I'm wanting to know)*

Crude oil goes into refinery and gets split into different fractions by distillation, some of these fractions will also be broken down by thermal or catalytic cracking and the resulting products again distilled into liquids with different boiling point ranges - many of these are what you would call naptha.
Yttrium2

[*] posted on 17-9-2019 at 14:33

Ok, I'll try this again because Im not getting the right answer. But regurgitations from Wikipedia, or some text, which is fine but in this case isn't the answer I want.

If I wanted to make Naptha, how would I do it, assuming I had the crude oil?

How can someone acquire a product that is Naptha besides distilling Coleman's camp fuel?
Yttrium2

[*] posted on 17-9-2019 at 14:39

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
Quote: Originally posted by Herr Haber  

Look up Extractions and Ire on distilling hexanes.

Where you telling him or me?

What's ire
SWIM
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-9-2019 at 14:49

How can someone acquire a product that is Naptha besides distilling Coleman's camp fuel?

Crude oil goes into refinery and gets split into different fractions by distillation.

If I wanted to make naptha, how would I do it assuming I had crude oil?

Crude oil goes into refinery and gets split into different fractions by distillation.

Holy Smeg! RedDwarf answered bot of those questions before they were asked!!!

Yttrium2

[*] posted on 17-9-2019 at 14:51

Its vague I want something more informative

He said that the oil was cracked first

Furthermore, what fractions ?

I guess napthas a unique to the refineries that produce them so it's kind of hard to answer. Though Naptha is listed as ingredients or brand names to a few products with similar characteristics I want to know what compounds comprise those characteristics

j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 17-9-2019 at 15:43

I think that that terms like naphtha, petroleum distillate, white spirits, paraffin, and even things like coal gas, bitumen, kerosene and gasoline are vague because they refer to mixtures not pure products. They were named historically based on raw material, product and final use without specific regard for analytical assay. I doubt there is a whole lot of consistency.

This is frustrating. Just about every paint-thinner, lacquer and cleaning solvent I can find is labelled as containing "petroleum distillate" with no information as to what its actual composition is or what distinguishes one from another. I am sure I could purify some useful solvents if I knew what I was getting but I am not going to buy a dozen $40 tins just to find out the contents.

Go To Top