Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Gassing myself with hydrogen sulphide...
trowaway45258
Harmless

[*] posted on 20-9-2019 at 13:08
Gassing myself with hydrogen sulphide...

So this happened when i was starting with chemistry, long story short, i was doing one reaction with hydrogen sulphide as a side product withold realising it...
At the time i had open window, and when i smelled smell of rotten eggs i thought its going from outside, also the smell went away qickly.... well i realised something was wrong when i started swetting a lot, having problems breathing and getting very dizzy. I ran to other room to get fresh air, at the end i was ok but it was qite scary experience.... From that point I do check for any side products...
Bedlasky
International Hazard

Mood: Volatile

[*] posted on 20-9-2019 at 13:58

Laboratory assistant from my former school was once (few decades back) bubbling H2S gas through NaOH solution and after few minutes she fainted, because she breathed too much H2S. She woke up on school corridor because somebody had taken her from lab. But she lives. So if you feel well right now you will be probably ok. H2S is treacherous poison. You smell rotten eggs and you think: "That's ok, it is small concentration". But after few minutes you will stop feeling the smell - and this is critical moment.

Sometimes is small amount of H2S enough to make you sick. I once opened bottle with 5% Na2S2O3, breathed gas from it (which is mix of SO2 and H2S in lots of air) and this really small amount of H2S made me sick for few minutes.

So lesson for the next time: You should work with it in better ventilated area.
Praxichys
International Hazard

Mood: Coprecipitated

[*] posted on 24-9-2019 at 07:03

Your ability to post points toward your symptoms being psychosomatic, as I have experienced myself after several laboratory procedures on the more dangerous side. However, if there is ever doubt, you should see a medical professional.
Swinfi2
Hazard to Others

Mood: Catalytic

[*] posted on 27-9-2019 at 16:23

I was heating parafin with sulphur as a H2S generator so I could bubble it through copper chloride for the copper sulphide out of interest in my capabilities (ie: how much gas escapes)

Basically I was nowhere near prepared. That method of generation tends to autocatalyse as it progresses until eventually it bumps violently. I ended up in and out of the shed again and again as I could smell it then not and left for fresh air then came back to check the progress.

Would not recomend without a fume hood. Felt kinda clammy and flu like/headache but yeah not in a hurry do do that again

[Edited on 28-9-2019 by Swinfi2]
rockyit98
Hazard to Others

Mood: no mood is a good mood

[*] posted on 27-9-2019 at 22:30

H2S is a possible candidate for induce hibernation in humans for space travel .in lab mice are already been done. also it is the superconductor with highest known transition temperature.

"A mind is a terrible thing to lose"-Meisner
Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 28-9-2019 at 11:53

Quote: Originally posted by rockyit98
||
|| H2S is a possible candidate for induce hibernation in humans for space travel .in lab mice are already been done. also it is the superconductor with highest known transition temperature.

the avarage penis length of the blue whale is 2.4m

sorry i thought we where writing the first thing not relevant to the post that popped in our mind

---------------------------------------------------------------------
feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make
---------------------------------------------------------------------
rockyit98
Hazard to Others

Mood: no mood is a good mood

[*] posted on 28-9-2019 at 13:01

Quote: Originally posted by Ubya
||
|| Quote: Originally posted by rockyit98
|| ||
|| || H2S is a possible candidate for induce hibernation in humans for space travel .in lab mice are already been done. also it is the superconductor with highest known transition temperature.
||
|| the avarage penis length of the blue whale is 2.4m
||
|| sorry i thought we where writing the first thing not relevant to the post that popped in our mind
how it was not relevant?
there were discussing about feeling very dizzy like they about to pass out .in small quantities H2S is not that big of a deal we humans have high sensitivity it (by evolution) . that why even when less than 1% Flatulence are volatile sulfur compounds which include H2S can make them smell bad like you.

PS

i'm happy that you won a dick measuring competition with a blue whale.congratulation on the been the biggest dick on the planet.

"A mind is a terrible thing to lose"-Meisner
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 28-9-2019 at 19:55

Quote:
Quote:
Quote: Originally posted by rockyit98  
[Quote]
Originally posted by Ubya
[Quote]
Originally posted by rockyit98
H2S is a possible candidate for induce hibernation in humans for space travel .in lab mice are already been done. also it is the superconductor with highest known transition temperature.

the avarage penis length of the blue whale is 2.4m

sorry i thought we where writing the first thing not relevant to the post that popped in our mind

how it was not relevant?
there were discussing about feeling very dizzy like they about to pass out .in small quantities H2S is not that big of a deal we humans have high sensitivity it (by evolution) . that why even when less than 1% Flatulence are volatile sulfur compounds which include H2S can make them smell bad like you.

PS

i'm happy that you won a dick measuring competition with a blue whale.congratulation on the been the biggest dick on the planet.

Ubya was correct. Your comment was not directly relevant. On this board we appreciate high-quality on-topic contributions a lot more than randomly googled factoids or Youtube links without comment. There is a strong sense here that we are slowly building a repository of high quality information. And in a thread titled, "Responsible Practices" we really want contributions to be both factual and practical.

So, enough of the appendage comparisons both of you. And, rockyit98, please try to stay on topic. If in doubt read the FAQ and do some browsing of some of the larger project-related threads to get a sense of the culture of this place.
[/mod]

Edit
Fixed the formatting issues that arise concerning quotations in this forum. Not sure how much will be fixed retroactively but things should format better from here on in.

[Edited on 29-9-2019 by j_sum1]
LearnedAmateur
National Hazard

Mood: Free Radical

[*] posted on 7-1-2020 at 05:32

Quote: Originally posted by Bedlasky  
Laboratory assistant from my former school was once (few decades back) bubbling H2S gas through NaOH solution and after few minutes she fainted, because she breathed too much H2S.

Reminds me of the time in school, when we were oxidising ethanol with potassium dichromate to study the colour change of the chromium and the ‘marzipan’ odour of acetaldehyde. Had my Bunsen on too hot, and instead of whiffing with the hand, stuck my nose over the boiling tube. Was definitely an interesting lunch and fourth period afterwards!

In chemistry, sometimes the solution is the problem.

It’s been a while, but I’m not dead! Updated 7/1/2020. Shout out to Aga, we got along well.
unionised
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-1-2020 at 07:46

Quote: Originally posted by Bedlasky  

. I once opened bottle with 5% Na2S2O3, breathed gas from it (which is mix of SO2 and H2S in lots of air) ...

No it's not.
Apart from anything else, H2S and SO2 react.

What you had will have been a little SO2 (which triggers asthma in some people).
annaandherdad
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-1-2020 at 11:16

I took a course in qualitative analysis in 1963. We used H2S to precipitate sulfides to help identify metallic compounds. The lab stunk of H2S and everyone in the hallway noticed it, but no one made a big deal about how poisonous H2S was. The amounts were small, but big enough to do the analysis.

Any other SF Bay chemists?
B(a)P
International Hazard

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 7-1-2020 at 11:23

Quote: Originally posted by trowaway45258  
From that point I do check for any side products...

Before you start the experiment.

Once you have decided on a process or reaction that you would like to attempt, get it down on paper/electronically, research it and fully understand it. Then proceed with the experiment fully informed, with appropriate ventilation and PPE.

[Edited on 7-1-2020 by B(a)P]

Go To Top