Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Ammonium formate from Ammonium chloride
nimgoldman
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-11-2019 at 09:32

You can most likely get Baker's ammonia (ammonium bicarbonate), listed as E503 on foodstuffs. It's OTC as people use it for baking cakes.

Simply slowly add your formic acid over the powder, in portions to prevent excessive bubbling, stir and perhaps heat the beaker a bit as the reaction is endothermic.

The procedure is shown in Nile Red's YT video though he used lab grade ammonium carbonate.

Since the baker's ammonia is only food grade, you might need to recrystallize it from absolute ethanol or water. Drying is possible with vacuum desiccator and H2SO4, but drying with heat will melt the crystals.

If you really have to use ammonium chloride, I am afraid you will need strong base to liberate the ammonium as it won't leave the chloride ion easily. With a short path for the gas it might improve the efficiency. Note that you don't need dry ammonia in this case.

[Edited on 20-11-2019 by nimgoldman]
stoichiometric_steve
National Hazard

Mood: satyric

[*] posted on 20-11-2019 at 17:15

I will gladly sell you some Ammonium Formate. U2U me.
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 20-11-2019 at 23:02

Quote: Originally posted by B.D.E  
. I decided just pouring it to a crystalizing dish and leaving it for a while on minimal heating. I hope that by this time tommorow it would be done evaporating and I'll be left with at least some ammonium formate. If not I'll probably be putting this on hold for a while.

Cheers.

[Edited on 20-11-2019 by B.D.E]

I wouldn't count on getting a crystalline compound overnight, it is really hygroscopic. Maybe if the air where you are drying is really low in moisture, or the heat is high enough. What temperature is "minimal" in your case?
B.D.E
Hazard to Self

Mood: Oscillating

[*] posted on 21-11-2019 at 11:08

Thanks for all the tips and advices, but I'm quite happy to say that after about 2 days of slow evaporation(no heat whatsoever), I did get some significant amount of precipitate which is most likely to be ammonium formate :)

I might try it again in the future, but for now I think I've got enough ammonium formate for my purposes. Also I would probably prefer to just use the ammonium carbonate method just to avoid the realtivly hassle in a liquid-gasous reaction. I am glad I've experienced with it though.

Anyway, thanks for all the help and ideas. I appreciate it(!).

https://imgur.com/Atxe6St

[Edited on 22-11-2019 by B.D.E]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top