Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: 2019 Secret Santa
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 19-12-2019 at 21:37

Happy opening Texium. I have some inside knowledge on yours and think you will love it.

Shipping name is a good idea. I will incorporate that next time.

I ama away from home at the moment but hear that some packages have arrived. Delicious anticipation.
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 20-12-2019 at 15:39

IMG_20191219_125539.jpg - 1.3MB IMG_20191219_104449.jpg - 981kB

Santa knows I DO have a sense of humor. One-legged man and all..... The T-shirt was in with this LOVELY low actinic glass sep funnel. A thing of beauty!

And no, I don't wait til Xmas, being a bachelor with grown kids not close by, why not?

Isn't this year four of SS? Tradition status,

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-12-2019 at 22:14

Waht make post office staff to asj for the recipient's real names? Provided the address is right the post office can still deliver it to the right address, just not necessary that exact person, and it really doesnt matter who's receiving it, if it isnt some confidential/legal docs right? And they can still ask for it if the post is declared to be some confidential/legal docs so they can ensure the post is delivered to the correct person right? and even if the name is fake then the liable person (goods return etc) will be the address owner/whoever signed right? Fake name/pseudonym is for privacy reasons (sex toys for example), dont they know?

Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 21-12-2019 at 08:52

Well, after doing some research it appears that the lady at my post office was full of it. Everything I can find online from actual post office employees and otherwise says that it’s fine to send a package with no names- or even no return address at all! The USPS even explicitly states that packages will be delivered even if the name on the package is different than known residents! (Source: https://faq.usps.com/s/article/Refuse-unwanted-mail-and-remo... ) Man I wish I had found that FAQ when I was at the post office the other day. Could’ve wiped that condescending look right off her face.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
MadHatter
International Hazard

Mood: Enjoying retirement

[*] posted on 22-12-2019 at 04:42
Shipping

I have shipped AND received equipment internationally
without problems: Canada, U. K., Sweden. Compounds
Interstate only - no point in raising red flags.

From opening of NCIS New Orleans - It goes a BOOM ! BOOM ! BOOM ! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !
SWIM
National Hazard

biggrin.gif posted on 22-12-2019 at 13:31

Quote: Originally posted by Texium (zts16)  
In the last week I have received not one but TWO packages addressed to me as Texium! How exciting! I also sent out my own gift, which should be arriving within the next two days. The post office gave me some grief about needing to put a real name on the package, and not knowing the actual name of my recipient, I had to make up a name on the spot. So if you receive a package from Texas addressed to an unfamiliar name, fear not!

Edit: Also, that incident at the post office got me thinking: it seems like it’s largely up to the person behind the desk whether they’ll require a “real” name on the package, as I’ve received plenty of packages via USPS that have been addressed to my username or only my first name, and yet I was required to put real names on the package that I sent. To make things easier, it might be a good idea to make a shipping name a required part of the secret Santa survey form. Of course, you wouldn’t have to put your real name on there, but it will prevent awkwardness at the post office, and ensure that everyone is getting the packages they’re supposed to.

[Edited on 12-20-2019 by Texium (zts16)]

I figured there was a problem like that when I received a big old package addressed to "Sam Wim'. (fighting the urge to open it early)

I addressed by username except where customs regs required a real name. I didn't give any thought to the return address though.
I just automatically filled it out the way I always do.

It's just a happy coincidence that I always use a false name.:D

SWIM
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-12-2019 at 18:29

Just opened a big old box to find a remarkable selection of chems and glassware.

Numerous organic precursors and reagents. A very useful selection.
Even some Aluminum chloride. (It's FC time. Or maybe demethylation time:D)

Threw in some nice 14/20 glassware too.

Thanks Santa!

Now I'll have to come up with some reactions worth posting to show them off.

DSC04372.JPG - 2.9MB

@Arkoma, yeah, I'm stoked.

Looks like you got red stuff this year. Maybe green next year will even it out.

[Edited on 26-12-2019 by SWIM]

arkoma
Redneck Overlord

[*] posted on 25-12-2019 at 18:37

Heck, this my third year participating in SS, and I started getting antsy in August this year waiting for it. I've gotten thoughtful gifts, and I like the giving at least as much or more. Santa has fulfilled a strange request or two........

*edit* SWIM--that is dang sure some cool stuff.

[Edited on 12-26-2019 by arkoma]

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

Phosphor-ing
Hazard to Others

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 25-12-2019 at 19:39

I received 4 separate packages this year!!!! I almost couldn’t contain myself. My wife even asked how much this secret Santa thing was costing us! Best year ever for this. I’m like Arkoma I start getting antsy, thinking about this, every year WAY before the Christmas season.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" -Ronald Reagan
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 26-12-2019 at 14:06

Quote: Originally posted by SWIM  
Just opened a big old box to find a remarkable selection of chems and glassware.

Numerous organic precursors and reagents. A very useful selection.
Even some Aluminum chloride. (It's FC time. Or maybe demethylation time:D)

Threw in some nice 14/20 glassware too.

Thanks Santa!

Now I'll have to come up with some reactions worth posting to show them off.
;)

On my end, I received two packages—a cheerful red sep funnel to match arkoma, and from the forum redneck himself, a 16th edition CRC handbook from 1931! Wow! I’d never even seen one that old in person, and 16 is my lucky number, so I’m really happy to have it. They’ve expanded the handbook a bit over the past 88 years, that’s for sure!

CA2AC95F-977B-420B-91E9-72C4FD1B2527.jpeg - 420kB FCCEE86D-D34A-4916-AC37-F0E0A006770C.jpeg - 400kB D2721FFA-92CF-4FDE-9230-2736D070C369.jpeg - 271kB

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

[*] posted on 26-12-2019 at 20:36

you'll need those logarithm tables........LOL

j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 26-12-2019 at 21:36

Quote: Originally posted by arkoma  
you'll need those logarithm tables........LOL

The story goes that after the ark landed, Noah commanded all the animals to go forth and multiply.
A little while later, a couple of snakes came to see Noah and said that they were having great difficulty doing the deed. Noah inquired as to why they were having so much difficulty mulriplying and the snakes explained that they were adders.

After some thought, Noah retreated into the ark and came back with the first edition of the CRC handbook which he presented to the snakes. He then sent them off to try again.

Months passed and Noah went round to check on all the animals. When he visited the snakes he was delighted to discover lots of little snakes all over the place. So he asked the snakes, "How did you adders manage to multiply so successfully?"
One of the snakes replied, "We discovered we could do it by logs."
CharlieA
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-12-2019 at 18:04

groan..........
arggggghhhhhhhh........
good one:D:D:D
mayko
International Hazard

Mood: anomalous (Euclid class)

[*] posted on 31-12-2019 at 22:36

Santa kindly left me a sturdy looking 365 nm UV LED flashlight! I've only ever used 400 nm ones, so I'm learning all sorts of new things, like that coffee is fluorescent, and that everything around me is covered in lint.

IMG_20191227_collection_visible.jpg - 138kB
Tonic water, UV responsive fluorite, scorpions in alcohol, a lichen, orange oil, zinc sulfide, fluorescein, curcumin, and a stick of hot glue
IMG_20191227_collection_uv.jpg - 121kB

IMG_20191227_orangeLichen_Vis.jpg - 124kB
Closeup on the lichen & orange oil
IMG_20191227_orangeLichen_UV.jpg - 76kB

Thanks!

al-khemie is not a terrorist organization
"Chemicals, chemicals... I need chemicals!" - George Hayduke
"Wubbalubba dub-dub!" - Rick Sanchez
Tdep
National Hazard

Mood: PhD is done! It isn't good but it's over lol

[*] posted on 1-1-2020 at 07:47

Hi mayko, that was from me! I hope you didn't mind the Amazon drop ship. I hope it's okay quality, you can never know when looking at them online.
I was really impressed with your webcam spectrometer project, and I was wondering about the possibility of you using the UV torch with the spectrometer, to perhaps obtain some cool fluorescence spectra. I think it came with a UV short pass, unsure it that is any good. If you give it a shot, make sure you post the results here, I think it.could perhaps be a useful lab tool!

I received a very rad package from someone whose name I don't recognise! Thanks very much for some very cool vintage glassware. Includes a Sep funnel from West Germany, some Bunsen burners and one of the strangest bits of glassware I've ever seen.

Does anyone know... What this is? I like it.
Thanks j_sum1 for organising it this year!

20191228_180532.jpg - 2.8MB20191228_180507.jpg - 2.8MB
CharlieA
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-1-2020 at 17:01

Looks like a small scale reaction vessel. The large size joint would make cleaning a mess of gunk out of the reaction vessel (the round-mouthed bottom). Isn't that Kontes logo on the neck? May be you could find it on their website if they have an on-line catalog.
Happy New Year
Chemetix
Hazard to Others

Mood: Wavering between lucidity and madness

[*] posted on 1-1-2020 at 18:04

Hi Tdep, the package was from me, glad you like it.

I have someone here in melb who makes arduino based instruments. A quite advanced little spectro if you want to know more I can get you in touch.
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 1-1-2020 at 19:31

The secret bit of secret santa seems to be too taxing a concept for us this year. Hilarious.

I suggest next year we do a "Marginally Anonymous Santa" instead of ss. :D

[Edited on 2-1-2020 by j_sum1]
Chemetix
Hazard to Others

Mood: Wavering between lucidity and madness

[*] posted on 1-1-2020 at 20:23

I guess its a case of Australians and their respect for orthodoxy...rules are there to be interpreted with a sense of creativity.
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

[*] posted on 2-1-2020 at 00:19

aw heck it was ALL I COULD DO to not tell, and I'm not exactly sure who Santa was this year.

j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 2-1-2020 at 02:04

Mine arrived today. I will post details and photos later. Suffice to say, I am stoked. Lovely choices. And good educational value too; which is what it will probably be used for.

At some stage over the weekend I will send out a bulk email just to find out if everyone has received something or if items are still stuck in transit.
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 5-1-2020 at 19:58

Mystery element to identify. As a first guess I will say Mo: it has the right kind of twanginess for Mo foil. I'll drop some in some peroxide and see what happens.
Also some Ge. Missing from my element collection for a while.
And some raw sapphires. My kids were most impressed.
I'm going to have some fun with these.

1578283045612-623891089.jpg - 2.1MB
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

[*] posted on 6-1-2020 at 08:20

Santa came AGAIN today. Wow. Got some lumps of coal (really, including a piece of "peacock" coal), some airlocks, distillers yeast (for preparation of reagent grade ethanol, I'm sure), some samples of silicon and cadmium, some freshwater mussel shells (I love local stuff!!), some Sichuan pepper oil (LOVE hot food too) and a couple other odd chems. Santa, thanks for the CAS# on the one mua-ha-ha.

ScienceMadness is the Greatest "Social" site on the Net!

*edit* @KaintuckSanta---good clue to figure out "mystery" substance, but I did cheat and look up the CAS#. But that is probably EXACTLY what I'm going to do with, and use the clue.

[Edited on 1-6-2020 by arkoma]

SWIM
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-1-2020 at 14:31

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
Mystery element to identify. As a first guess I will say Mo: it has the right kind of twanginess for Mo foil. I'll drop some in some peroxide and see what happens.

I still wonder how you would have explained that package to customs:

"Well, I don't know what it is. I don't know who sent it to me either."

I bet they would have gotten a little surly.

Or did the customs slip say what it is and you're just not reading it to preserve the mystery?

j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 6-1-2020 at 15:01

The customs slip said metal foil. It all fitted in a standard envelope so probably was not treated as a package anyway. It certainly was not opened. And if there had been questions to answer, I would simply have told them what I know. There was a hint in the accompanying letter that would have helped in the explanation.

And in my case, I do know who sent it. One of the perks of organising this thing.

I do think it is possible to be overly paranoid about justifying purchasing and shipping of chems and equipment. Western nations at least do have an underlying philosophy that allows people freedom to do what is reasonable and the laws reflect this. In Aus, there is not much related to this hobby that is illegal to purchase, own and use. Because LEO are continually on the hunt for drug cooks you might occasionally need to give a reasonable explanation for some items. I doubt a piece of foil would ever be on that list though.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top