Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Any interest in PTFE or FEP powder - bulk purchase of lbs/kg's?
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-10-2019 at 19:56
Any interest in PTFE or FEP powder - bulk purchase of lbs/kg's?

I was planning on getting some PTFE and FEP powder and found a couple suppliers with very good deals of 100% pure powder, meant for lubrication, and the price drops a lot for larger quantities of say 25-50lbs vs 1-2lbs (or 500-1kg). I found some suppliers stating 50lbs for just under $140!

I'm wondering if there would be much difference when using PTFE vs FEP as a flourine donor in things like thermite/flares.

I'm not sure the particle size and I've seem some being sold at .5 - 2 micron and the other listings didn't list particle size, but they called it "micro powder" and it is meant as a dry lubricant, so I'm waiting on hearing what the size might be.

If there is interest in the finer sizes, IDK what the benefits would be and what is optimal vs additional cost, but the one company that offered a good price, has many sizes and can custom grind to suitable sizes - so LMK what you think you would want and what particle size would be ideal.

I'm wondering what other industries or uses this could be used in as I could reach out to some of them, I didn't even know this stuff was available, I only knew of the tape. I would think this could be more useful than graphite in some situations and the pricing is actually competitive if not less expensive than graphite lubricant!
Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 14-10-2019 at 02:50

ptfe stuff is made by pressing and heating ptfe powder in a mould, if you can machine the right parts and buy a cheap press you can manifacture your own ptfe labware (stopcocks, membranes, plugs, rods, stir bars, anything). it would be a better use than using it only as a lubricant

---------------------------------------------------------------------
feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-10-2019 at 03:25

Quote: Originally posted by Ubya  
ptfe stuff is made by pressing and heating ptfe powder in a mould, if you can machine the right parts and buy a cheap press you can manifacture your own ptfe labware (stopcocks, membranes, plugs, rods, stir bars, anything). it would be a better use than using it only as a lubricant

Wow, Well I have a 25 ton press, I wonder if that is enough - I guess it depends upon the size (sq inches) being pressed. It's actually pretty easy to make a very strong press with just steel plate and some good bolts and just torque them down. I saw a handheld press with 6 or 8 bolts that could do about 120 tons and the guy was only using a 12" wrench to torque the bolts down - about 1/4 turn each and worked kind of in a star pattern. I think he made it for under $20.

Now for heating it, I wonder what temp would be good, as I'm guessing below melting temp, it probably works on similar principle as metal sintering (another thing I'd like to try out!)? maybe get it to about 100 to 50 degrees below MP, compress and allow to cool remove from mold - or compress, heat, allow to cool, remove from press?
Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 14-10-2019 at 04:12

a quick google search can help finding out the right parameters for pressure and temperature.
i don't have a press or ptfe powder (on ebay 25g are too expensive and i would need more obviously), but i want to try to use ptfe tape to make ptfe sheets and cut out cap liners, it kinda works but it was just a test without heating.

feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make
Herr Haber
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-10-2019 at 07:03

I dont know where you got those prices Ubya but I think I remember paying 10-12 Eu for 100 grams.
I've noticed (chinese) prices can vary quite a bit.

You could get teflon plates of different thicknesses if you need to cut cap liners (good luck with that!)
I know I would look for some other fluoropolymer like Viton or maybe even one that dissolves in ketones & esters (300g for 35.79 Euros ebay seller: reagent007 )

The spirit of adventure was upon me. Having nitric acid and copper, I had only to learn what the words 'act upon' meant. - Ira Remsen

Go To Top