Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Need help filtering PABA
stephill92
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-10-2019 at 17:19
Need help filtering PABA

I just tried doing a reduction of p-nitrobenzoic acid to p-aminobenzoic acid. I followed this paper http://web.mst.edu/~tbone/Subjects/TBone/chem228/FS16Synthpr... up to where it says to use ammonia since I don't have any on hand right now. Instead I added NaOH and filtered the reaction mixture and was left with a murky solution so I added HCl and a precipitate came out of solution and then redissolved. I thought that if I had made PABA I may have formed the Hydrochloride salt so I added more NaOH then sulfuric acid and a precipitate formed again, but it too dissolved back into solution. I tried cooling it since PABA is soluble in hot water, but nothing happened. Would it still be possible to salvage anything assuming I did the reaction right in the first place?
UC235
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-10-2019 at 18:02

They used ammonia because it buffers the solution. If you add too much NaOH, you make PABA sodium salt which is soluble. If you add too much HCl, you protonate the aniline and form soluble PABA Hydrochloride. Not to mention, the initial pH of 8 is to selectively precipitate SnO2 which is amphoteric and will also dissolve in both acid and base. I suppose at pH 8, it is probably minimally soluble while PABA is soluble as the ammonium salt.

They then use acetic acid to bring the pH down to 3-4 which is presumably PABA's isoelectric point, where it is neither cationic or anionic but predominantly a overall charge neutral zwitterion (and at which point it is its least soluble).

It's possible that your solution is massively diluted and loaded with salt at this point and you won't get a precipitate even if you did things right now since PABA is still somewhat soluble even at ideal conditions. You need to actually monitor the pH and adjust carefully with weak acid and base if there's any hope for product now.
stephill92
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-11-2019 at 18:53

I tried it again today with pH paper and ammonia and am waiting for the final solution to cool, but it's not cloudy so I don't expect it to work. I don't know what I did wrong though since I followed the paper but it seemed different from what actually happened. I ran the reaction for over an hour and a half and still had 2.5g of tin still left in the bottom of the flask, and after I raised the pH with ammonia it was still cloudy after filtering with coffee filters multiple times when it said it should be clear. I decided to use sodium bisulfate to lower the pH to 3~4 but it made the solution clear so I don't really know what I could do differently next time. What seemed strange to me about it though is that the reaction is supposed to be able to be sustained on its own but I needed to keep it in a hot water bath pretty much the entire time. Any advice would be appreciated.

Go To Top