Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Advice on protecting a vacuum gauge wanted
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-10-2019 at 01:17
Advice on protecting a vacuum gauge wanted

A member of a different forum that I frequent ( 4hv.org ) asked the following question;

"How can i protect my new digital vacuum gauge ? i typically have a vessel pulled down to high vacuum with epoxy, oil and other liquids which might volatize."

Any suggestions ?

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
wg48temp9
National Hazard

[*] posted on 27-10-2019 at 03:52

Quote: Originally posted by Sulaiman  
A member of a different forum that I frequent ( 4hv.org ) asked the following question;

"How can i protect my new digital vacuum gauge ? i typically have a vessel pulled down to high vacuum with epoxy, oil and other liquids which might volatize."

Any suggestions ?

The usual way its done is by an isolation valve and preferable a cold trap. The gauge being isolated until the roughing pump has exhausted most of the gases and closed before releasing the vacuum. He should consult the manual for the gauge if its an expensive one.

He should also note that the type of vacuum gauge determines how susceptible the gauge is to spurious vapours. Typically gauges with hot wire or filaments are more susceptible. He should also note that if he does have volatile material in his system he will not be able to reach a high vacuum (mean free path comparable to the dimension of his chamber).

An other option is to have a discharge tube connected to the system. The characteristics of the discharge indicate the vacuum level and the discharge color will give an indication of the contamination. When the discharge goes dark under vacuum the mean free path is about equal to the separation distance between the electrodes. ie high vacuum.

The discharge also helps to trap or destroy active gases. It can also help when trying to find leaks using a suitable gas or fluid sprayed on to the suspected leak point.

I am wg48 but not on my usual pc hence the temp handle.
Thank goodness for Fleming and the fungi.
Old codger' lives matters, wear a mask and help save them.
Be aware of demagoguery, keep your frontal lobes fully engaged.
I don't know who invented mRNA vaccines but they should get a fancy medal and I hope they made a shed load of money from it.
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-10-2019 at 06:14
Thanks

Information passed on.

S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 27-10-2019 at 08:51

There are chemical traps as well (charcoal, zeolite)...more for the protection of the vacuum pump post-cold trap...when valves are used they are often between the pump and gauge, for when the pump is to be turned off.

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-10-2019 at 17:41
Thanks, it seems that the query has been answered satisfactorily

Go To Top