Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Legality discourse split from "4-Allylcatechol Methylenation"
DavidJR
National Hazard

Mood: Tired

[*] posted on 14-2-2019 at 05:41
Legality discourse split from "4-Allylcatechol Methylenation"

Errrrrrrrrr.... this looks a bit dodgy. It's only a hydroamination away from being MDMA.
12thealchemist
Hazard to Others

Mood: Rare and Earthy

[*] posted on 14-2-2019 at 07:36

Quote: Originally posted by DavidJR  
Errrrrrrrrr.... this looks a bit dodgy. It's only a hydroamination away from being MDMA.

You're not the only one to think this. Spirit of chemistry discussion is all very well, and I'm sure CycloKnight is completely above board - he had a "knock on the door" a little while back - but I fear what our non-registered readers can make of this.

Just my two pennyworth
My YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/channel/UC4t9tVlAk7ww1wgCVW4yUjg
Elements collected so far: 65; to collect: Ln, Rb, Sr, Ba, F, Kr, radioactives
CycloKnight
Hazard to Others

Mood: Still waiting for the emulsion to settle.

[*] posted on 14-2-2019 at 07:54

Again, all very theoretical misuse. I see what you're saying but there are already far easier routes the non-registered users could use for such endeavours and with far higher yields. I'd be far more concerned about what they can do with benzaldehyde, available now on ebay for $50 per litre. I see nothing to fear here.
DavidJR
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-2-2019 at 12:39

Quote: Originally posted by clearly_not_atara  

Quick, describe an accessible Markovnikov hydroamination catalyst for unactivated terminal alkenes. You know, a little simpler than 2-dicyclopentylphosphino-2'-dimethylaminobiphenyl bis-1,5-cyclooctadiene rhodium (I) tetrafluoroborate.

Ok you got me, the easier way is to hydrobrominate first.

[Edited on 14-2-2019 by DavidJR]
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 14-2-2019 at 12:56

Can we please (again) stop the discussion about what should or should not be allowed to discuss on this forum? Again, I will quote Polverone.

Quote: Originally posted by Polverone  
It's probably spitting into the wind but I would like to remind everyone that the legal restrictions (or lack thereof) on possessing/manufacturing a substance has never been a reason for me to shut down discussions here. Hence the large, flourishing Energetic Materials section. I would actually enjoy more discussion of novel psychoactive substances here, or novel routes to popular materials. Much how I enjoy new substances or synthetic routes to energetic materials when they're discussed in the EM section. The USA has some of the most overbearing synthetic drug laws but some of the most permissive free speech laws in the world, so there is no risk to the forum or myself from discussing any chemistry here no matter how great the legal penalties might be if you get caught trying to implement said chemistry in your own home.

I don't like low-effort threads started by people who are apparently just looking for a quick way to get high or get rich. Nor do I like low-effort threads started by people who just want to make a big, impressive explosion without too much work. But I am never going to lock a thread just because it might be a felony to do the chemistry where I live, or where some other members live. Everything is fine to write about and some members may be more risk-tolerant or lucky enough to live in less legally uptight jurisdictions. The legal considerations, like the personal safety risks, are the responsibility and choice of the individual contemplating doing some chemistry.

So please, feel free to discuss synthetic routes to this ketamine metabolite or any other interesting molecule that crosses your mind.

Source

If anyone here thinks further discussion is necessary I propose you set up a new topic. Either we change the original idea of SM and change the rules on this forum, or people who don't like it either capitulate or leave.

[Edited on 14-2-2019 by Tsjerk]
DavidJR
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-2-2019 at 13:16

Quote: Originally posted by Tsjerk  
Can we please (again) stop the discussion about what should or should not be allowed to discuss on this forum? Again, I will quote Polverone.

Quote: Originally posted by Polverone  
It's probably spitting into the wind but I would like to remind everyone that the legal restrictions (or lack thereof) on possessing/manufacturing a substance has never been a reason for me to shut down discussions here. Hence the large, flourishing Energetic Materials section. I would actually enjoy more discussion of novel psychoactive substances here, or novel routes to popular materials. Much how I enjoy new substances or synthetic routes to energetic materials when they're discussed in the EM section. The USA has some of the most overbearing synthetic drug laws but some of the most permissive free speech laws in the world, so there is no risk to the forum or myself from discussing any chemistry here no matter how great the legal penalties might be if you get caught trying to implement said chemistry in your own home.

I don't like low-effort threads started by people who are apparently just looking for a quick way to get high or get rich. Nor do I like low-effort threads started by people who just want to make a big, impressive explosion without too much work. But I am never going to lock a thread just because it might be a felony to do the chemistry where I live, or where some other members live. Everything is fine to write about and some members may be more risk-tolerant or lucky enough to live in less legally uptight jurisdictions. The legal considerations, like the personal safety risks, are the responsibility and choice of the individual contemplating doing some chemistry.

So please, feel free to discuss synthetic routes to this ketamine metabolite or any other interesting molecule that crosses your mind.

Source

If anyone here thinks further discussion is necessary I propose you set up a new topic. Either we change the original idea of SM and change the rules on this forum, or people who don't like it either capitulate or leave.

Actually, I guess that is a reasonable approach to take. I was just a bit concerned about how it might appear to outside observers. The chemistry is, indeed, interesting.

Perhaps I should post about my modafinil synthesis (which I will add is legal where I am)...
Tsjerk
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-2-2019 at 13:24

Maybe a mod/admin could split all the mdma/benzaldehyde/Polverone/modafinil discussion to a separate thread, doing more honor to the really nice chemistry this thread should be about?

@DavidJR; I would love to see your modafinil synthesis!
Tsjerk
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-2-2019 at 13:33

(which I will add is legal where I am)...

Polverone clearly states in the quote above it doesn't matter whether or not it is legal in your jurisdiction. Nobody here could even tell whether or not it was because we don't know where you are.
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
30-10-2019 at 08:11
stoichiometric_steve
National Hazard

Mood: satyric

[*] posted on 29-11-2019 at 09:37

yeah i remember you going off topic like that on some other stupid shit, but then again that's just who you are :) maybe exercise a little impulse control next time, that would suit you well.

Attachment: s7m3me6yalv31.webp (273kB)
This file has been downloaded 437 times

DavidJR
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-11-2019 at 13:04

Quote: Originally posted by stoichiometric_steve  

yeah i remember you going off topic like that on some other stupid shit, but then again that's just who you are :) maybe exercise a little impulse control next time, that would suit you well.

Excuse me?
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 29-11-2019 at 14:02

s_s is demonstrating impulse control. Newer members here may not be aware that this has never been a politically correct place, and the old guard had a lot of representation at even less correct boards.

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden
stoichiometric_steve
National Hazard

Mood: satyric

[*] posted on 30-11-2019 at 04:18

Yeah if you know me, that's the highest grade of impulse control you'll get out of me.

But sure am glad to be considered "old guard", that's what you get for almost 14 years membership eh?

When my son grows up i'll teach him some chemistry and come back more often to post and snap at the wannabe youngsters. I miss the old days, made some amazing friendships here!
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 30-11-2019 at 13:20

Actually the phrase arose from trying to find a way to say pre-woelen staff, without throwing them under that bus.

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden

Go To Top