Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Copper nitrate's potential oxidizing and explosive properties
LardmanAttack
Harmless

[*] posted on 7-11-2019 at 19:06
Copper nitrate's potential oxidizing and explosive properties

So recently, I've been wondering about copper nitrate, and other more exotic nitrates in general and the possibility of using them in combination with ANFO to potentially create different coloured explosions. How possible is this?
B(a)P
International Hazard

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 8-11-2019 at 02:15

Did you check the copper nitrate wiki?
http://www.sciencemadness.org/smwiki/index.php/Copper(II)_nitrate
wessonsmith
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-11-2019 at 08:44

Quote: Originally posted by LardmanAttack  
So recently, I've been wondering about copper nitrate, and other more exotic nitrates in general and the possibility of using them in combination with ANFO to potentially create different coloured explosions. How possible is this?

Nickel Hydrazine Nitrate (NHN) is always a crowd pleaser.:)
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 8-11-2019 at 09:50

If you want a quick, colored flash, you may have better luck using fine Magnesium and your oxidizer/colorant/(possibly a chlorine donor) combination of choice.

Such mixtures have been in use for over a century- They often give up something in safety and are generally rather poorer in storage stability than standard Al/perchlorate report mixtures, be warned and keep experiments SMALL...

Looking through formula lists such as the one linked below, there are over a dozen documented colored flash mixes.

https://pyrodata.com/composition/flash-powder?filter-color-f...

[Edited on 11-8-2019 by Bert]

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

MineMan
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-11-2019 at 20:33

Quote: Originally posted by Bert  

If you want a quick, colored flash, you may have better luck using fine Magnesium and your oxidizer/colorant/(possibly a chlorine donor) combination of choice.

Such mixtures have been in use for over a century- They often give up something in safety and are generally rather poorer in storage stability than standard Al/perchlorate report mixtures, be warned and keep experiments SMALL...

Looking through formula lists such as the one linked below, there are over a dozen documented colored flash mixes.

Bert. Could be wrong but I think he might be going for a high order color explosion....
LardmanAttack
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-11-2019 at 14:58

Yeah, It probably needs some sort of chlorine donor in in order to actually have colour. Damn, didn't think of that. And I was referring to actual coloured detonations, not just high power deflagrations. Like how aluminum when used as a thermobaric fuel creates a bright yellow/orange flash, I was wondering if it was possible to change that colour somehow using copper nitrate or something similar

I think I should actually start a new thread as this one doesn't exactly pertain to this. I suppose in that case i'd just follow up on my first question, Will copper nitrate actually have the ability to detonate when mixed with a fuel and initiated with a shockwave?

[Edited on 9-11-2019 by LardmanAttack]

[Edited on 9-11-2019 by LardmanAttack]
UICalculus
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-11-2019 at 15:04

If you want to use it as an oxidant, I suggest barium nitrate.
Copper nitrate may corrode something for its pH and Cu2+.
What's more, it is easy to deliquesce.
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 11-11-2019 at 19:42

Barium nitrate containing HE has a long history (including its use in Baratol, a Barium nitrate + TNT mixture, used in the "slow" component of the original Fatman implosion systsm).

Issues with HE produced colored flashes, just off the top of my head?

How long and at what intensity does a flash need to last for a human eye to detect it as more than just a blinding flash? Some duration, enough for your pupils to contract might be nice. HE events in close proximity are usually mostly evident from the after effects of "things going away rapidly" than flashes emitted from the reaction itself.

Good color production requires a nice transparent gas around the light producing reaction. A bunch of soot from O2 deficient HE or solid metal oxide particles from fuels such as Al surrounding your light source will be giving off black body radiation at random wavelengths, light will look yellow/white.

It may be possible. How well it may be made to work and how easily, I can't say. We have always done colored light effects with low explosives...

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

LardmanAttack
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-11-2019 at 00:22

Barium nitrate containing HE has a long history (including its use in Baratol, a Barium nitrate + TNT mixture, used in the "slow" component of the original Fatman implosion systsm).

Issues with HE produced colored flashes, just off the top of my head?

How long and at what intensity does a flash need to last for a human eye to detect it as more than just a blinding flash? Some duration, enough for your pupils to contract might be nice. HE events in close proximity are usually mostly evident from the after effects of "things going away rapidly" than flashes emitted from the reaction itself.

Good color production requires a nice transparent gas around the light producing reaction. A bunch of soot from O2 deficient HE or solid metal oxide particles from fuels such as Al surrounding your light source will be giving off black body radiation at random wavelengths, light will look yellow/white.

It may be possible. How well it may be made to work and how easily, I can't say. We have always done colored light effects with low explosives...

Hmm, interesting, have there been any records of Baratol producing a coloured flash when detonated?
I'm mainly interested in the possibility of it to be able to happen rather than practicality.

Go To Top