Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Primary amine from secondary alcohol?
peppovsky
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-2-2011 at 05:07
Primary amine from secondary alcohol?

I know that one can take a secondary alcohol, and substitute the OH group with Tosyl Chloride, Mesyl chloride, etc. - and then react it with a primary amine to form a secondary amine-substituted compound, and TsOH (or other leaving groups depending of the one chosen from above).

Can one do the same thing with (I guess anhydrous) ammonia, to gain a primary amine?

DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-2-2011 at 05:49

It would be easier to oxidise your alcohol to the ketone, and then perform a reductive amination. Assuming you have the reagents that is.
peppovsky
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-2-2011 at 06:07

perhaps, but I ask about this specific reaction (I don't like messing around with Jones reagent, its dirty and toxic as hell).
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-2-2011 at 07:34

Jones reagent isn't the only way to oxidise a secondary alcohol. Theres a whole plethora of methodologies applicable to a wide range of substrates - I suggest you look into this. As for the specific reaction, it would likely depend on the substrate and the conditions. If you're hell bent on going via the tosylate, consider using a "single ammonia equivalent", such as K-Phthalimide (Gabriel synthesis) or azide, followed by an appropriate work up (KOH/hydrazine or Ph3P respectively) to furnish the desired primary amine.
peppovsky
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-2-2011 at 08:15

The problem with the Gabriel synthesis is that it requires a primary halide, and doesn't work with secondary halides. Maybe a tosylate ether and potassium phthalimide react to create an amine, but I'm not familiar with this reaction. Any references?..
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 4-2-2011 at 08:22

Quote: Originally posted by peppovsky  
Can one do the same thing with (I guess anhydrous) ammonia, to gain a primary amine?

Quote: Originally posted by peppovsky  
perhaps, but I ask about this specific reaction (I don't like messing around with Jones reagent, its dirty and toxic as hell).

You describe no specific reaction so you can't seriously expect a specific answer. It is simply not possible to predict the outcome of a reaction of a nonspecific sec-alkyl tosylate with ammonia (whether in solution or liquid). Without knowing the steric and electronic properties of R and R' your question can not be answered, because it is impossible to tell which of the possible reactions (E2, SN2 with mono or dialkylation, or no reaction) will be prevalent.
The only useful answer you can currently get, based on the useless information you gave, is to forget about ammonia or phthalimide. Only nucleophilic substitution with NaN3 followed by reduction has a scope wide enough to cover most cases of R and R'.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!

Go To Top