Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: How strict are you about using distilled water vs nondistilled/faucet water in your reactions?
CharlieA
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-11-2019 at 19:17

Yes, $1USD/gallon is relatively cheap. Of course, you can always make your own distilled water. If I had to make my own I know I would be less wasteful. I'm sure it would help me decide to go with smaller scales.
beta4
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 29-11-2019 at 11:48

Quote: Originally posted by G-Coupled  
Shouldn't be too difficult to remove hard water scale from glassware so long as it's not allowed to massively build up and to really cake on AFAIK.

Is the Fe acting as an activator or sorts or a poison in the case of the phosphorescent stuff?

My water reservoir for cooling the condenser during distillations is just a plastic jug, so I don't care much about scale formation in it. My concern is that scale is likely forming also in the water pump. I'm wondering if running the pump for some time with a mildly acidic solution would dissolve it. Someday I'll try with the jug first as a test, and if it turns out cleaner I'll try with the pump too.

From my understanding - in doped ZnS phosphors at least - Fe impurities create locations in the crystal which allow excited electrons to return to their ground state without emitting photons, thus reducing brightness significantly even at very low concentration.

G-Coupled
Hazard to Others

Mood: Slightly triturated

[*] posted on 29-11-2019 at 11:54

So, the Fe poisons the phenomenon which produces the phosphorescence effect? That's interesting.

Even a weak Acetic Acid solution should suffice to get rid of limescale pretty gently AFAIK.
chemist1243
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-11-2019 at 16:42

it does not matter unless the procedure specifically states that you use distilled water.
G-Coupled
Hazard to Others

Mood: Slightly triturated

[*] posted on 30-11-2019 at 16:45

Quote: Originally posted by chemist1243  
it does not matter unless the procedure specifically states that you use distilled water.

Sometimes the procedure can be wrong though, or miss some important information.

Also, some tap water is fine in some places for some rxns, but not in others I would've thought.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top