Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Colorful molybdate and tungstate complexes with Cu+ and VO2+
Bedlasky
International Hazard

Mood: Volatile

[*] posted on 7-12-2019 at 13:28
Colorful molybdate and tungstate complexes with Cu+ and VO2+

Hi.

I've recently done some experiments with molybdates and tungstates and I have some interesting results.

I was curious if exist insoluble vanadyl molybdate/tungstate. So I poured in to the test tube solution of Na3VO4, acidified it and added some sodium metabisulfite. Result was beautiful blue solution containing vanadyl ions. Then I added it in to solutions of sodium molybdate/tungstate. With molybdate very dark blue-purple solution was obtained. With tungstate dark brown solution was obtained. Upon further acidification both solutions turned in to colourless.

I tried if molybdate/tungstate make complex with acidified vanadate but nothing happened. After additon metabisulfite in to the mix of molybdate/tungstate and acidified vanadate nothing happend again. I obtained only green solutions, after another metabisulfite additon nothing changed.

What are these complexes is I don't know. Maybe some kind of heteropolyacids where Mo/W atoms are displaced by V atoms. But heteropolyacids make vanadium(V) - this is vanadium(IV). Another confusing thing is decolorization of both solutions after further acidification. Where is blue colour of VO2+? Or are these solutions different complexes?

2.jpg - 2MB 3.jpg - 1.3MB

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today I tried make Cu2MoO4 and Cu2WO4. I prepared solutions of sodium molybdate and sodium tungstate. In to the both solutions I added some sodium metabisulfite. After that I added solution of copper sulfate. With molybdate I obtained brown precipitate and with tungstate green-brown precipitate. But after half an minute both precipitates dissolved and formed solutions of the same colours. I compared these solutions with green Cu(I)-sulfite complex which formed by action of sodium metabisulfite on copper sulfate.

Probably molybdate and tungstate are bonding to Cu(I) in Cu(I)-sulfite complex forming new Cu(I)-sulfite-molybdate/tungstate complex.

In the picture from left: Cu(I)-sulfite complex, Cu(I)-sulfite-tungstate complex, Cu(I)-sulfite-molybdate complex

1.jpg - 1.4MB

8.12. - edit: After addition of thiosulfate into these solutions they turns in to colourless.

[Edited on 8-12-2019 by Bedlasky]
Bezaleel
Hazard to Others

Mood: transitional

[*] posted on 9-12-2019 at 02:42

Experiments with molybdate and tungstate are usually difficult. Many processes may take place, and there is a strong dependence on the pH of your solution. I advise you to check Gmelins Handbuch on molybdates and tungstates.

The starting materials themselves also form a challenge. E.g. there is often confusion about ammonium molybdate and tungstate. Often these substances are taken to be (NH4)2MoO4 or (NH4)2WO4, but usually they are a polymolybdate and tungstate.
vano
National Hazard

[*] posted on 21-1-2021 at 08:07

Beautiful colors. Do you store solutions of stable complexes?
Bedlasky
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-1-2021 at 13:18

No, this was just test tube research. V(IV) heteropolymolybdate have very very intense purple colour, it can be used as very sensitive test for vanadium. It have such a intense colour because it's an electron deficient compound - very similar to molybdenum blue. Practically it is reduced form of vanadomolybdate [VMo12O40]3-. V(IV) can also replace Mo or W atoms in other heteropolyanions, like in [PVMo11O40]-.

Look here for more info.

vano
National Hazard

[*] posted on 21-1-2021 at 13:35

interesting. I liked the use of polysulfide. From which book did you learn similar reactions? Now i think aqueous inorganic chemistry is interesting.

[Edited on 21-1-2021 by vano]
Bedlasky
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-1-2021 at 14:03

I have multiple sources, it is hard to find decent info about Mo chemistry (and with W chemistry it is even harder). I pracitcally start with random set of reactions, this start my interest in molybdenum chemistry.

If you want, I can send to you all my online sources in U2U, but it is lot of reading.

I will update this article when I will have some time, because I tried to make some ferrocyanide and fluoride complexes in all oxidations states. I also read something about periodate complexes recently and want to try NCS- complexes of Mo(VI). I have photos for two more articles about Mo chemistry, but don't have much time. These Mo articles are complex and time consuming.

[Edited on 21-1-2021 by Bedlasky]

vano
National Hazard

[*] posted on 21-1-2021 at 14:30

Thank you so much. When you want then send it to me in U2U. I love reading, volume does not matter.

Go To Top