Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: making high chemical resistance silicone coated gloves
rockyit98
Hazard to Others

Mood: no mood is a good mood

[*] posted on 10-12-2019 at 20:56
making high chemical resistance silicone coated gloves

as you know gloves are very impotent for safety.but most gloves are made from rubber (isoprene ,neoprene ,Butyl, Nitrile,) ,not so chemical resistant pvc are good but can't compare with PTFE or Viton. which are very expensive.
we all know silicone has reputation for chemical resistant.but i search for gloves that are made from silicone but they are used for cooking.

then i had an idea to coat normal gloves with silicone sealant.that was a epic failure because it got peeled off quickly.after a while i got my hands on a low viscosity RTV silicone that claiming to stick to rubber.did some tests and t was a success.got my self a long sleeved gloves and put them on. with generous amount of silicone and washed my gloved with them.hang them to dry and after a while put on another coat on top the old one.let it dry and was good to go.tried to see if it will peel off.and no it didn't.

now i have set of gloves that con use with con. NaOH Con. H2SO4 even 70% HNO3. if you try to repeat this work use low viscosity RTV silicone,do a test sample to see whether if it bond to rubber.use well ventilated area as it gives off fumes of acetic acid.get help from another individual as you do this.read instructions in silicone tube.

gl1.jpg - 142kB

"A mind is a terrible thing to lose"-Meisner
MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-12-2019 at 07:44

Here's a handy resource when considering gloves: the Ansell Chemical Resistance Guide https://ehs.unc.edu/files/2015/09/Ansell_8thEditionChemicalR...

It doesn't mention silicone, so I can't say how much more effective it is than other glove types. Interesting idea though.
Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 11-12-2019 at 10:18

"now i have set of gloves that con use with con. NaOH Con. H2SO4 even 70% HNO3"

did you test that or it is just an assumption?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make
---------------------------------------------------------------------
rockyit98
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-12-2019 at 17:21

Quote: Originally posted by Ubya  
"now i have set of gloves that con use with con. NaOH Con. H2SO4 even 70% HNO3"

did you test that or it is just an assumption?

tested! ones i used normal rubber stopper make a mold out of POP and made a proto putty https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fwytA5r2Mw (used powdered borosilicate instead of corn starch) stopper it worked well for 70% HNO3 and 98% H2SO4.
Grant we miss You!:(

Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-12-2019 at 20:37
my 2 cents worth on gloves :

Before you buy gloves check out the AQL,
I use AQL 1.5 so that means that up to 1.5% of my gloves have holes !
How confident can you be that diy glove coatings are, and will remain, hole-free ?

Although I have disposable nitrile and latex gloves, and a pair of butyl rubber gloves,
I have significantly reduced my usage of gloves as my hands sweat when using them,
which makes it impossible to determine if something has passed through them until it is too late,
much better (in most cases) to use bare hands and care - with washing facilities nearby.
I do use gloves for chemicals that stain, such as silver nitrate, iodine solutions and many others.

NOTE : I have not worked with highly toxic materials such as HF, methyl mercury, nerve gasses, bio-hazards etc. where many rules must apply,
the above applies mainly to acids, bases, oxidisers and other chemicals common to hobby level (mostly inorganic) chemistry.
BUT
I put on my goggles as soon as I start any chemistry
- even just moving stuff from one container to another.

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
rockyit98
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-12-2019 at 21:21

my gloves are heavy duty ones they are thick and about a pound in mass. if you feeling adventurous just turn them inside out and do the same coating too.to be absolutely sure just double bag it inside. i haven't deal with HF too but do a test before.

draculic acid69
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-12-2019 at 17:23

I think that vinegar smell from the silicon is actually some organosilicon compound.i looked it up after helping fix up a bathroom and googled it.theres some silicon chemical that smells like vinegar.

Go To Top