Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: if you need ethanol, do you get denatured ethanol, or 190 proof everclear?
Cou
National Hazard

Mood: Mad Scientist

[*] posted on 13-12-2019 at 12:52
if you need ethanol, do you get denatured ethanol, or 190 proof everclear?

Denatured ethanol: Cheaper, but has denaturing agents that participate in reactions

190 proof everclear: More expensive, but much more pure

Which one do you use?

And don't admit to it on the internet, but if someone needs cheap ethanol, it's not really possible for cops to find out if they are distilling yeast-brewed ethanol inside of their house...
Ubya
International Hazard

Member Is Online

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 13-12-2019 at 14:50

everclear if i need it as a reagent
denatured alcohol (once distilled to remove the red dye and the denatonium benzoate) if i just need it as a solvent

---------------------------------------------------------------------
feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make
---------------------------------------------------------------------
draculic acid69
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-12-2019 at 07:12

I think acidifying denatured alcohol and distilling to get rid of the bitterex shit and then refluxing over naoh to destroy any esters and ketones then distilling again and drying with cuso4.u can probably skip the first step and just do the second step if naoh destroys the bitterex.theres no everclear here and if there was it's cost as much as gold.
karlos³
International Hazard

Mood: oxazolidinic 8)

[*] posted on 14-12-2019 at 08:17

The denat. ethanol that is usually here(at least that one brand I came to like over the years) is just 1% 2-butanone, 96% ethanol, and a tiny amount of bitrex.
I treat it with a bit sodium hydroxide and reflux it for an hour, then distill.
So, just like draculic acid does too.
The brand I use is very well suited for this, when I distill slowly it is sufficient to do it once to remove the aldol produced from the 2-butanone and then it is fine.

Everclear, oh man, likewise to draculic acid here... there is a shelf with polish food and stuff though in the supermarket, and they got a 0,7l bottle of, I don't know, I think it is really 96% but drinking quality.
Cost, 35 or 40€ for that bottle with alcohol taxes.... the denat ethanol costs 2,70€ in comparison.
mayko
International Hazard

Mood: anomalous (Euclid class)

[*] posted on 14-12-2019 at 08:59

We're no longer allowed anything over 151 proof... too many young adults with bad decision-making skills were poisoning themselves. The ABC cashier looked at me bug-eyed when I asked for 190 a couple years ago.

https://www.starnewsonline.com/article/NC/20101130/News/6050...

al-khemie is not a terrorist organization
"Chemicals, chemicals... I need chemicals!" - George Hayduke
"Wubbalubba dub-dub!" - Rick Sanchez
morganbw
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-12-2019 at 06:25

The 95% everclear is available to me but the tax man does have his hand in it big time.
I have used the everclear but not often. I think that using the denatured and treating it similar to how karlos stated is wiser and much cheaper.
finetune
Harmless

[*] posted on 15-12-2019 at 06:58

In my area, I have 95%EtOH denaturated with 1%MEK and possibly bitrex (I didn´t taste it) avaliable for 2Eur
To skip the reflux with NaOH, I simply dump a small amount NaOH into the bottle and let it stand for a few weeks at RT. It is important to place the bottles in a tub or sth similar, as some bottles don´t like the EtOH/NaOH solution as I learned the hard way. A slight decolourization can be observed and then the solution is distilled to obtain really pure azeotropic EtOH.
I do this in 4L batches about 3-4 times a year, always having sufficient amounts of EtOH avaliable for the costs of about 2.5 Eur/L

[Edited on 15-12-2019 by finetune]
Pumukli
National Hazard

[*] posted on 15-12-2019 at 07:35

You seem to be more successful with this purification than me. Although the fine print on the label of my version of denatured ethanol says 2% MEK and nothing else as additive, I could never purify this sh*t from the spirit. I tried storing it over NaOH for several months, then refluxing, then distilling from the lye, it always smelled unpleasant.

How is yours smelling after the distillation?

Could anyone propose a method to determine MEK in the 0-2% range in ethanol? (Besides e.g. GC-MS and other, not particularly amateur friendly methods.)
finetune
Harmless

[*] posted on 15-12-2019 at 07:57

The denat. EtOH I do begin with is not the bad smelling variant. They do sell this one aswell in most stores, but I did manage to find one wich doesn´t have the typical disgusting smell. Here in germany it´s called "AHK Spiritus" made by "Walter Schmidt Chemie". I just looked online and it´s also sold as "low-odour". On bad batches there is lower than 1% IPA contained.
For EU people:
AHK Spiritus 2,46Eur/L, shipping EU

Edit:When starting with the smelling stuff, I am unable to get rid of the smell aswell.
I didn´t try to distill it from sodium though.

[Edited on 15-12-2019 by finetune]
G-Coupled
Hazard to Others

Mood: Slightly triturated

[*] posted on 15-12-2019 at 15:36

What's the bad smell characteristic of? What could it be?
Corrosive Joeseph
National Hazard

Mood: Cyclic

[*] posted on 15-12-2019 at 16:31

Quote: Originally posted by Pumukli  

Could anyone propose a method to determine MEK in the 0-2% range in ethanol?

I remember an iodoform test using alkalized tincture of iodine, leading to colour change on a German forum..... Unfortunately, the page no longer exists or I would link it...... Kinda sucks really, it had some nice photos and everything.

/CJ

Being well adjusted to a sick society is no measure of one's mental health
Pumukli
National Hazard

[*] posted on 15-12-2019 at 23:24

Thanks! I tried something like that, a method to detect acetone (and MEK) in urine, is reportedly sensitive and not too complicated. Problem is the ethanol! It also got halogenated... In urine (water) the method is reliable. :)

Go To Top