Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 5kg KNO3 order in the UK
georgef2545
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-12-2019 at 04:26
5kg KNO3 order in the UK

So I plan to buy 5kg of KNO3 from a glassblower's supply company, and I live inside the UK where KNO3 is not a regulated substance, but you can be reported for buying it if the deal looks suspicious.

I plan also to do a similar thing with 11% H202, perhaps buy a few litres for use as an oxidant. The only reason I plan to buy these chemicals in such a quantity is that they are some of the most useful and also are much cheaper to buy in larger amount. None of these chemicals are technically illegal to buy, but it would be suspicious to buy them in larger amounts.

So do you think I should just buy smaller amounts and accept the higher prices (I think that might be a better idea) or do you think that I would need to order more of these substances for it to actually look suspicious. I would like to add that that these substance wouldn't be used to make rockets or large amounts of dangerous explosives.
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-12-2019 at 20:56

Quote: Originally posted by georgef2545  
So I plan to buy 5kg of KNO3 ...

I plan also to do a similar thing with 11% H202, perhaps buy a few litres ...

... I would like to add that that these substance wouldn't be used to make rockets or large amounts of dangerous explosives.

For hobby chemistry I would consider 5 kg of KNO3 (almost 50 moles)
to be likely intended for pyrotechnics and/or the manufacturing of HNO3.
500g is a more reasonable quantity - unless you have a specific use.

Litres of 11% H2O2 have many legitemate uses,
but if acetone is also on your shopping history it could be used to imply the intent to manufacture explosives.

The implication in your last line quoted is that you may make small or medium ammounts of dangerous explosives :P

I had litres of 11% H2O2 and litres of acetone and about 1kg KNO3 and a muslim name and I never got a visit,
keeping a lab notebook could to some extent show your intentions.

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
georgef2545
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-12-2019 at 05:34

Quote: Originally posted by Sulaiman  

For hobby chemistry I would consider 5 kg of KNO3 (almost 50 moles)
to be likely intended for pyrotechnics and/or the manufacturing of HNO3.
500g is a more reasonable quantity - unless you have a specific use.

Litres of 11% H2O2 have many legitemate uses,
but if acetone is also on your shopping history it could be used to imply the intent to manufacture explosives.

The implication in your last line quoted is that you may make small or medium ammounts of dangerous explosives :P

I had litres of 11% H2O2 and litres of acetone and about 1kg KNO3 and a muslim name and I never got a visit,
keeping a lab notebook could to some extent show your intentions.

Do you think 2kg is more reasonable - the price different per kilo between ordering 1 kg and 5kg is like £0.43 so the price is not really too much of a problem?

In terms of H2O2, I bought 500ml of acetone over a year ago, and I don't plan to buy any more of the internet, I can get from the store easily now, so I don't think I will be thought to be making acetone peroxide. Is 5 litres of 11% H2O2 excessive?

Also, do you live in the UK, the laws about explosive precursors are a bit different here from other countries, for example the USA? Thank you for your help!

I am new to sciencemadness, so please correct any mistakes that I have made.
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-12-2019 at 23:38

I'm British, my home and Lab are in Walsall, but I'm on a long holiday in my wife's homeland.

I can not tell how many times I (and many members here) have ordered 'bulk' quantities because the of the small difference in cost + p&p of a 'minimum' and a 'bulk' order.
Many of us have multiple-lifetime supplies of various chemicals.

I do not know what is considered to be a reasonable/justifiable quantity,
but the more you order the more storage containers and space you require for storage,
e.g. suppose your 'chemistry set' eventually has 100 liquids and 100 solids
5l liquids, 5kg solids = storage for 1,000 kg of chemicals :P
500ml liquids, 500g solids = 100kg
etc.
of course many liquids and solids will be in lower quantities due to cost, and hazards.

Similarly, if you go for jointed glassware (distillation etc.) the size of glassware determines to a significant degree, your scale of operations,
e.g.
24/29 using a 2000ml flask ... 1000ml per experiment
24/29 using a 500ml flask ... 250ml per experiment
10/14 using a 25ml flask ...15ml per experiment
10/14 using a 10ml flask ... 5ml per experiment
(I rarely use the 10/14 stuff even though I have a reasonable collection)

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
georgef2545
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-12-2019 at 03:51

In terms of storage, it is not too much of a problem, I have access to a shed where I could store bulk chemicals. The reason that I would like to by in bulk in KNO3 is that it is one of the really useful chemicals - pyrotechnics, energetics etc. By the way, since you live in the UK, how to you manufacture your nitric acid - sulphuric acid is notoriously difficult to obtain due to the regulations surrounding it. Do you have an EPP license, if so, would you recommend getting one? To get one, do you have to have a better reason than needing chemicals for chemistry experiments?

Have fun on holiday:P

Go To Top