Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Happy 2020 !
Pyro_cat
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-12-2019 at 19:40
Happy 2020 !

Oh well, new years eve a day away and I did not finish research and development of KNO3 flash I started on after doing the powdered Al for the thermite.

Already know how to do boom I really like the effects of the bright light from that stuff but for the spirit of science plastic liqueur bottle 50 ml getting filled.

Tomorrow is the day for some testing as I can do it without pissing people off as this place erupts with store bought stuff and I have way too big a stash of that has to go. They had a 2 for 1 sale this summer.

There were some early birds setting stuff off today and I did a few trying to instigate more by reporting back to them with a few grams of some things I learned around here. They took the bait and did more but it didn't spread as much as I had hoped.

You guys be safe tomorrow, I know if I want to show them who is boss its C2H2 + O2 done with a long ass tube. Not so much science going on but it really is hard to beat that one.

Venturing into Kewl but seriously everyone be safe and have a happy 2020 !

[Edited on 31-12-2019 by Pyro_cat]
Vosoryx
Hazard to Others

Mood: Serial Apple Enjoyer

[*] posted on 30-12-2019 at 20:17

Last year for new years I had the gang over at my place. We un-sobered ourselves, watched some movies, ordered some pizza. 23:50 rolled around. I realized that i had no fireworks, nor explosives of any kind, but i do have a metalshop. My dad had told me stories about filling garbage bags with acetylene and oxygen, and lighting them off. i'd never tried it. Decided that god hates a coward, let's do it. The only issue was, we didn't have any balloons nor small bags that were leak proof. However, I, being a horny ass teenager, always had with me a condom.
So, I took my cutting torch and tightly wrapped the condom around the oxy-a nozzle. puffed that thing up real good. At this point i'm having trouble standing straight up. Knotted it off, one of my friends starts the countdown.
I taped it to a sawhorse, lit the torch, and realized "Oh, shit. I don't have ear protection." Ten seconds on the clock... too late. Plugged the left ear with my finger, just held my right ear to my shoulder. countdown ends.
Keep in mind this was my first attempt at this, ever. And i was highly intoxicated.

Firstly, i think it's not working... im holding my torch right on the condom, but nothing's happened! Next thing i know i feel the bang. Not hear. Feel. In my gut. The shockwave rippling though me. My friends screamed, the aluminum sawhorse i have it taped to visibly jumps.
Through my left ear i hear my dad come out of the house, informing us that the cops might very well show up. Through my right ear i hear only ringing, until midday on the first. I bought regular fireworks this year.

Stay safe and have fun. May the new year be bountiful for you all!

"Open your mind son, before someone opens it for you." - Dr. Walter Bishop
Abromination
Hazard to Others

Mood: 1,4 tar

[*] posted on 30-12-2019 at 21:09

Quote: Originally posted by Vosoryx  
Last year for new years I had the gang over at my place. We un-sobered ourselves, watched some movies, ordered some pizza. 23:50 rolled around. I realized that i had no fireworks, nor explosives of any kind, but i do have a metalshop. My dad had told me stories about filling garbage bags with acetylene and oxygen, and lighting them off. i'd never tried it. Decided that god hates a coward, let's do it. The only issue was, we didn't have any balloons nor small bags that were leak proof. However, I, being a horny ass teenager, always had with me a condom.
So, I took my cutting torch and tightly wrapped the condom around the oxy-a nozzle. puffed that thing up real good. At this point i'm having trouble standing straight up. Knotted it off, one of my friends starts the countdown.
I taped it to a sawhorse, lit the torch, and realized "Oh, shit. I don't have ear protection." Ten seconds on the clock... too late. Plugged the left ear with my finger, just held my right ear to my shoulder. countdown ends.
Keep in mind this was my first attempt at this, ever. And i was highly intoxicated.

Firstly, i think it's not working... im holding my torch right on the condom, but nothing's happened! Next thing i know i feel the bang. Not hear. Feel. In my gut. The shockwave rippling though me. My friends screamed, the aluminum sawhorse i have it taped to visibly jumps.
Through my left ear i hear my dad come out of the house, informing us that the cops might very well show up. Through my right ear i hear only ringing, until midday on the first. I bought regular fireworks this year.

Stay safe and have fun. May the new year be bountiful for you all!

That is quite the story, I wouldn’t expect such a big explosion, I had always thought it would be closer to that of a hydrogen balloon. On my part, I am making some nice flash powders and some thermites for tomorrow. My favorite has to be the redox of BO3 and magnesium, it glows a beautiful bright green.

List of materials made by ScienceMadness.org users:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nmJ8uq-h4IkXPxD5svnT...
--------------------------------
Elements Collected: H, Li, B, C, N, O, Mg, Al, Si, P, S, Fe, Ni, Cu, Zn, Ag, I, Au, Pb, Bi, Am
Last Acquired: B
Next: Na
--------------
Pyro_cat
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-12-2019 at 22:02

I made the shocking discovery of C2H2 + O2 after hearing the torch pop, if it snaps like that when shutting it down what will a bag full do ? About a gallon at my feet I dropped a match on it and wtf THAT happened. My mom came out and yelled at me.

Now I know a roman candle from a distance is one of the better initiation methods. Flashing thunder.

[/rquote]
On my part, I am making some nice flash powders and some thermites for tomorrow. My favorite has to be the redox of BO3 and magnesium, it glows a beautiful bright green.[/rquote]

I thought I picked up the container of green https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_rust in that pile of concrete coloring the contractor threw out but I didn't.

But my thermite is going up too. Plain old Fe2o3 + Al,

Lighting it in the jar with the jar inside a coffee can to see what happens to the glass and then from that result see if creating some prince rupert's drops would be possible.

I should get a puddle of glass. I need to see it to engineer further.
MineMan
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-1-2020 at 19:02

Quote: Originally posted by Pyro_cat  
I made the shocking discovery of C2H2 + O2 after hearing the torch pop, if it snaps like that when shutting it down what will a bag full do ? About a gallon at my feet I dropped a match on it and wtf THAT happened. My mom came out and yelled at me.

Now I know a roman candle from a distance is one of the better initiation methods. Flashing thunder.

[/rquote]
On my part, I am making some nice flash powders and some thermites for tomorrow. My favorite has to be the redox of BO3 and magnesium, it glows a beautiful bright green.[/rquote]

I thought I picked up the container of green https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_rust in that pile of concrete coloring the contractor threw out but I didn't.

But my thermite is going up too. Plain old Fe2o3 + Al,

Lighting it in the jar with the jar inside a coffee can to see what happens to the glass and then from that result see if creating some prince rupert's drops would be possible.

I should get a puddle of glass. I need to see it to engineer further.

What does green rust in thermite do?
Pyro_cat
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-1-2020 at 16:22

Quote: Originally posted by MineMan  

Green rust is an unstable corrosion product typically produced in a low-oxygen environment, such as on rebar in the chlorine-rich environment of seawater. The reaction between seawater and steel may result in [FeII3 FeIII (OH)8]+ [Cl·H2 O]-, a series of iron hydroxides.

I see a chlorine so Searching chlorine flame test color, a search suggestion brings me here.

"Despite the wide numbers of metal ion donors, they serve to form only a few atomic and molecular species that are useful as light emitters.

In many cases, chlorine donors have to be added in order to achieve sufficiently deep colors, as the desired emitting molecules have to be generated."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrotechnic_colorant

So it sucks I did not grab the green color but finding that concrete stuff was a lucky break as it works in thermite, or at least so far I know the rust colored one does. Got yellow and black too.

This what its used for. I wasn't sure what it even was when I found it.

That jar of thermite was the most interesting pyrotechnic of the evening the way that puddle of molten iron kept glowing and glowing.

And I only did 160 grams, 40 Al and 120 Fe2o3

Pyro_cat
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-1-2020 at 20:49

Quote: Originally posted by MineMan  

It wasn't green rust.

This is what it does in the thermite reaction

https://youtu.be/r0kfn4P2nfQ?t=1044
Pyro_cat
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-3-2020 at 06:02

So much for a happy 2020, for me its stressful 2020.

My local fireworks store shut down.

"Why the coronavirus may impact your 4th of July fireworks too.

https://www.ky3.com/content/news/Coronavirus-may-impact-your...

I often light a few bottle rockets Friday or Saturday night to entertain people over for a BBQ but I decided to stop lately cause I think many people might be edgy right now due to current events I don't want to anger neighbors and have one come over and yell at me.

And I just discovered how to make an nice daylight effect with the rockets carefully wrapping dollar store very thin foil around the header and creating an interesting falling glitter effect in bright sunlight. Oh well.

Oh well lots of other science out there besides pyro, next for me is a solar BBQ . oven or water boiler.

I hope this forum keeps going, always like science reading to chill out and get other stuff off my mind.

Done with reading the news. 5 minutes on the headlines and that's it.

I will make a thread for this later in miscellaneous if we don't have one already. I think we have a solar thread.

MineMan
National Hazard

[*] posted on 21-3-2020 at 21:26

Quote: Originally posted by Pyro_cat  
So much for a happy 2020, for me its stressful 2020.

My local fireworks store shut down.

"Why the coronavirus may impact your 4th of July fireworks too.

https://www.ky3.com/content/news/Coronavirus-may-impact-your...

I often light a few bottle rockets Friday or Saturday night to entertain people over for a BBQ but I decided to stop lately cause I think many people might be edgy right now due to current events I don't want to anger neighbors and have one come over and yell at me.

And I just discovered how to make an nice daylight effect with the rockets carefully wrapping dollar store very thin foil around the header and creating an interesting falling glitter effect in bright sunlight. Oh well.

Oh well lots of other science out there besides pyro, next for me is a solar BBQ . oven or water boiler.

I hope this forum keeps going, always like science reading to chill out and get other stuff off my mind.

Done with reading the news. 5 minutes on the headlines and that's it.

I will make a thread for this later in miscellaneous if we don't have one already. I think we have a solar thread.

Haha. I hear you!

Go To Top