Printable Version  
Author: Subject: NaClO2 storage
Bedlasky
International Hazard

Mood: Volatile

[*] posted on 7-1-2020 at 04:35
NaClO2 storage

Hi.

I am thinking about buying 24,5% NaClO2 solution. I plan to buy 80ml of it (the smallest pack from supplier). I don't need it a lot but I have on mind few experiments with it. Are there some special precautions for storage? I have wooden cupboard and there isn't much space. I have in it acids, organics, reducing agents with aren't compatible with NaClO2, so probably I will find different place or just store it on the top of cupboard.

[Edited on 7-1-2020 by Bedlasky]
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 7-1-2020 at 07:58

NaClO2 is stable on storage. I have a 28% solution, which is over 10 years old and it still is as good as when I purchased it. I also have solid NaClO2 (between 80 and 85% by weight, the rest is NaCl). This also is perfectly stable.

Avoid accidental exposure to strong acids. This produces a lot of ClO2, which may lead to fire and/or explosions. As long as the material is stored in a stable container and cannot get in contact with acids or reducing solids you do not have to be afraid of fire.

NaClO2 is very reactive. A mix of the dry powder with powdered sugar, sulfur or red phosphorus can be ignited by a little friction. The solution of NaClO2 is less reactive, but with strong acids, quite a lot of ClO2 is released, which can be ignited to give an explosion. ClO2 also explodes in contact with gaseous NH3 or NO2. I also had an explosion of a mix of NaNO2 and NaClO2 on addition of a single drop of conc. HCl.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net

Go To Top